Good Overclocking Mobo with SLI for Core 2 Duo!?

P-Trix

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
I think i am going to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo system but want to use some of my exsisting components!

Which motherboard will be ideal for SLI and overclocking an E6300!?

Thanks

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
All mobo's with 2 PCI-E X16 slots can run SLI, albeit with hacked forceware drivers. The AW9D-Max actually comes with an SLI bridge which is the only real hardware component you need for SLI (beside the 2 gfx cards of course)...

Mobo wise, the P5B-dlx and DQ6 are nice with the 965P chipset, the Foxconn 975XA7B(or some shit like that) and the AW9D-MAX are good... but with the other mobo's you still need an SLI bridge...

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Since when do 975X mobos support SLi without hacking the drivers which not only wouldn't guarantee it to work but could be a huge headache since it wouldn't be supported...

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I think i am going to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo system but want to use some of my exsisting components!

Which motherboard will be ideal for SLI and overclocking an E6300!?

Thanks

Well i dont know why anybody else hasn't mentioned it but the nVidia 680i is going to be a good overclocker while supported C2D and C2Q...should be out in a week or so but won't be cheap

althaz

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I think you'll find it'll be a below-par overclocker. 975X is good and 965P is great, I have a feeling the 680i will simply be so-so in comparison. That's just my opinion, but seeing as nVidia aren't showing off high overclocks, I'm betting they won't be happening.

In answer to the original poster's question: There is no such thing. If you want to, as Wusy mentioned you can get some hacked drivers and a hacked Bios and get any mobo with 2x16 PCIe slots. With the E6300, I'd recommend a 965P based mobo. That said, I dislike both SLI and Crossfire for 99% of purposes, but that's just me. It just seems pointless. There's almost always something that performs better at a similar price point. For example, 2xX1950XTX > $800, whilst an 8800GTX will be significantly less (once prices settle) and probably offer better performance and future proofing. Unless you need the highest of the high end for your 30" Dell then there's a better option. Actually, if you're running a 24" there's some games that might stretch a single card if you're a max-settings junky, so there's a total of two reasons to go SLI or Crossfire, and hundred$ not too :)

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Well i dont know why anybody else hasn't mentioned it but the nVidia 680i is going to be a good overclocker while supported C2D and C2Q...should be out in a week or so but won't be cheap

I don't know how you can say that the 680i will be a good OCing Chipset when it's not even out yet. So it hasn't even been tested on a motherboard. Besides that If the chipset is on a crappy board with cheap voltage regulators then you won't be able to get a good OC out of it.

As mentioned before SLI/CF isn't worth your time and money. Unless, like wusy said, you are building a big top of the line PC and will be gaming in resolutions over 1600x1200.
Precisely, I'm helding back on my comments on RD600 and 6x0i(w/ C55) until it goes retail and proves it potential.

@wusy Oh give me break 8O you know you're hailing the RD600 as the second coming with amazing overclocking potential, i hope it does too...

@mpilchfamily no offense but everyone and their mother has regarded the 680i as looking to be a good overclocker, and the 680i is supposed to the the top range chipset, saying that it would be put on a shitty board is like saying the 975X chipset would be on a crappy board, which when thinking about it i can't think of many crappy 975X boards...

I'm sorry my original post was not clear enough, but the 680i has been stated in preliminary rumors to be a good overclocker, which if it wasn't proof enough by the "what the hell was the nforce 590 release" then it should be with the use of the C55. this is like saying the 8800GTX wasn't going to be a jump in performance even though there were no preliminary benchmarks to be found