Updating the start menu for recently used programs...

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I recently upgraded my PC from Win 2K sp3 to Win XP Pro. I have noticed that
the program list onthe START menu does not get updated or changed based on
my program selection. The same 5 programs are listed there and none of them
change. How do I activate this feature so my most used programs "float to
the top". Thats the way it works at home and I would like that feature at
work as well.

Thanks... Paul
1 answer Last reply
More about updating start menu recently programs
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 10:53:22 -0500, Paul Simon wrote:

    > I recently upgraded my PC from Win 2K sp3 to Win XP Pro. I have noticed that
    > the program list onthe START menu does not get updated or changed based on
    > my program selection. The same 5 programs are listed there and none of them
    > change. How do I activate this feature so my most used programs "float to
    > the top". Thats the way it works at home and I would like that feature at
    > work as well.
    >
    > Thanks... Paul

    This particular list is for most frequently used, not most recently used.
    It will not change as often as an MRU list. Also I find that starting a
    program from the Start Menu (instead of using desktop or Quick Launch
    shortcuts) gives best results for building the frequently used programs
    list.

    In Start menu properties, you can change the number of programs to be
    displayed in the list. Also if the setting for Large Icons is changed to
    Small, there is more space for the list to display and more programs will
    be listed (~10-12 names).

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Start Menu Microsoft Customization Windows XP