Sign in with
Your question

Pentium 4 630 idles at 60C, is this OK

Last response: in CPUs
November 2, 2006 1:29:34 PM

Hello,

Sorry for another temp question.

My friend just replaced a faulty intel motherboard. He is using an old P4 630.
The mobo came with the thermal pad and he applied it.

The bios temps show 60C.

Is this OK?

what are the measures he should take, he tried to reapply the HSF with the same temps.

AS5 is not available here in india.

What are the various options he has now.

Rgds,

More about : pentium 630 idles 60c

November 2, 2006 1:49:41 PM

60C at idle is quite high, at load it'll hit all the way to 80C probably...

Althought something does seem off, I'm still guessing the HSF isin't installed correctly... but if it is correct, than you still have a couple of options...

Check the case air flow... do you have enough fans? Do all the fans work? Adding a fan to case is one of the easiest ways to decrease temps.

Second, you could always turn down the ambient temps... don't know how hot it gets in India, but lower the ambient temp, lower the computer temp.

Third, you could always get a new HSF is they have any around.
Related resources
November 2, 2006 2:46:21 PM

I agree w/ hondacr123, the Arctic Freezer is great. My 630 idles @ 32C and loads @ 45C. Intel stock is crap. If you replace HSF you'll have to replace thermal compound, no way around it.
November 2, 2006 3:01:58 PM

Thing is... he's in India... which might just pose a small problem... no biggie... =P
November 2, 2006 3:24:29 PM

Thanks to all for the inputs.

We do not get arctic coolers, zalman, scythe in india.
so I am wondering what to do.

I am not sure why these companies do not look at india.
There is a lot of potential here.
November 2, 2006 3:27:29 PM

Don't you guys have probably the largest tech support base in the world? I'm wondering why you wouldn't have more computer products heading your way.
November 2, 2006 3:29:12 PM

Quote:
60C at idle is quite high, at load it'll hit all the way to 80C probably...

Althought something does seem off, I'm still guessing the HSF isin't installed correctly... but if it is correct, than you still have a couple of options...

Check the case air flow... do you have enough fans? Do all the fans work? Adding a fan to case is one of the easiest ways to decrease temps.

Second, you could always turn down the ambient temps... don't know how hot it gets in India, but lower the ambient temp, lower the computer temp.

Third, you could always get a new HSF is they have any around.

Thanks all for ur inputs, How do I turn down the ambient temps?
We do not get arctic, zalman etc. in india and I am not sure why they r ignoring india india has a lot of potential now.
November 2, 2006 3:32:47 PM

Ambient temperature is the air temperature around you and the air temperature inside the case. Unless you have a air conditioner or a fan, you can turn down the ambient temp around you, but adding an intake and exhaust fan to the case and removing any obstructions to air flow with help improve case and CPU temperatures. Also look at removing any dust from off the HSF or from inside the case, and its intake/exhaust ducts.
November 2, 2006 9:49:50 PM

Quote:
Hello,

Sorry for another temp question.

My friend just replaced a faulty intel motherboard. He is using an old P4 630.
The mobo came with the thermal pad and he applied it.

The bios temps show 60C.

Is this OK?

what are the measures he should take, he tried to reapply the HSF with the same temps.

AS5 is not available here in india.

What are the various options he has now.

Rgds,

Is the reading accurate? maybe it is reading higher than it should.. If he can touch the heat sink, while running, it should be on the warm side. too hot, the fan may not be doing its job right or case circulation is bad. . too cold, it is not doing its job and maybe it is not fully contacting the cpu. He has to make sure that all the pins that hold the cooler are fully locked.
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
November 4, 2006 2:33:06 AM

Hmmm. Strange, thought that I ws the only one who had this problem. Mine also was around 60 when idle and hit 75 when playing! I also live in a tropical country and turning on the airconditioner always is not an option. I got a cheap-ass Asus P5M2 cooler thinking if i could get any lower temps. It just lowered to around 50~53C and 71C at full load.

What some people don't seem to get is that ambient air is simply hotter in HOTTER countries. Average temps in tropical climates hover around 35~40C while in EU and more northern places in America can be around 20~25C.

I actually gave up trying to cool the thing down since the software that comes with my intel board only points out that around 70 or 71 should be the max temp.

P.S. Along with my cheapo P5M2, i put in Artic Silver 5. The only advantage of the P5M2 over the stock is the really quiet op at full load, for a really low price.
November 4, 2006 10:34:26 AM

Most aftermarket thermal materials are better than stock. Most often te problem is with the way it is applied. Problems such as your occur when:
1-The layer of the interface material is too thick (normally you would not care whether it is 0.4 instead of 0.2mm but that is the double of the thickness and it doubles the barrier you put on the heat, impeding it to escape efficiently).
2-There is less material than needed (or it is irregularly applied) and air bubbles form between heatspreader and heatsink.
So clean everything and put only a thin and unifrm film of it.

However, don't forget what amnotanoobie said. IMO, you have the wrong CPU for the place you live in: An Athlon64 or C2D would idle only 2-4 °C above room temp.
November 4, 2006 11:02:37 AM

First of all do not rely on the BIOS temps. The BIOS on my rig run almost 20 degrees hotter than my Speedfan. BIOS shows my idle at almost 70C while Speedfan is much more accurate at 50C. Therefore, download Speedfan at:

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

(I know that there are lots of other utilities, but I like this one best and I've tried them all).

See what temps Speedy shows you at idle and load. Mine are 50 and 73 with a record high load temp of 96 which is ridiculous even for a Preskillet, but still 20 degrees below what the BIOS shows.

If you have high ambient (and I'm sure you do) then you need to refrig your CPU. Even the best WC rig won't cool lower than ambient. Therefore, your choices are:

1) Go with a Titan Amanda or similar TEC cooler. Good luck as I haven't been able to locate one in Europe so in India they're likely unobtainium.

2) Bring down your ambient temps. AC is the way to go. I had a rig where I ducted air from a window AC right into the case. Brought down my idle to 28C!!!

3) Move to Norway.

:) 

You should also check your Vcore. My Vcore is:

Vcore1: 1.34V
Vcore2: 2.62V

And I have always wondered why the heck the 2 was as high as it is and how/if it contributed to my skyhigh skillet temps. Note that I have never OCd anything but my old '69 427 Vette. So I'll turn that around to the forum as a question. Any ideas why my Vcore2 is so damn high???
November 4, 2006 8:22:12 PM

Do you have any websites that offer Water cooling?

That might be the way to go, since air cooling does depend on cooler climates. Check out the Cooler Heatsink section, and ask the guys in that section what is available in your area that may work for ya.

I find when my room hits at and above 80F, air cooling just loose its mojo to keep things cool.
November 5, 2006 4:09:57 AM

Hello all,

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

My friend finally used Arctic Ceramique with the stock HSF and the temps are now down from 59C to 47C at idle. At load when he played some game for 15 mins speedfan showed 62C.

Is this OK or he still needs some improvement.

1. Water cooling is not available here in india.

2. Will AS5 be better than Arctic Ceramique? How much more difference can it make in the temps at idle and load

3. For my core 2 duo the temps are 40C idle and 60C load, will using AS5 help me reduce the temps.

Rgds,
November 5, 2006 8:23:46 AM

Quote:

Hey! Great biz idea! Let's start importing AS5, WC, Amandas, etc. to India! Make a fortune! Anyone wanna come in on it with me? :D 
November 5, 2006 9:22:31 PM

Right, but most of that tech support is answering calls from outsourcing nations... :tongue:
November 5, 2006 9:26:36 PM

I'm getting a reply to that now?
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2006 2:55:01 PM

Quote:

Hey! Great biz idea! Let's start importing AS5, WC, Amandas, etc. to India! Make a fortune! Anyone wanna come in on it with me? :D 

That got me thinking :lol: 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2006 2:59:04 PM

Quote:

That got me thinking :lol: 
December 3, 2006 11:52:09 PM

1/6 of the planet lies in india and there aren't even any online retailers, let alone brick and mortar stores, that ship there?

I don't think you are looking hard enough...
!