What's up with Newegg?

GunnySpook

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
OK, the Intel 975XBX2 is clearly imminent. Intel even has it on their website now with specs, downloads, etc.

So what is Newegg thinking?

In the past week or 2, Newegg has steadily walked their price of the XBX-1 board from $239 to the current $275. $10 boost every 2 - 3 days.

Meanwhile, TigerDirect has the board for $199.

And yes, both are the retail boxed versions......

Surprising to see Newegg $75 off the track, but maybe I'm just not familiar enough with Newegg's pricing strategies.

The Gunny

extremefire

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I am having some issues of my own with Newegg right now, but its due to somebody in their TN warehouse not packing all of my items in the box, and them failing to ship another package properly.

losmeme

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I'm having problems with NewEgg as well. Whenever I order something new, they send me an obviously re-packaged, used product. Nasty, nasty habit. Don't you think?

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I recently had problems with a heatsink order. I had $160 in my paypal acct and somehow NewEgg failed to process my order. Anyone else having issues like this?

yuseaname

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I've never had true problems with newegg, but it's really annpying since they switched to UPS. And, the shipping is now slow and even more expensive... I started getting what i need from zipzoomfly- 2day fedex for $1.99 8)

Gankak

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
I never had issues with Newegg either but since the have a distribution center in TN I order from Zipzoomfly to avoid paying taxes :(

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I don't want to insult your intelligence or anything, but are you sure you're not buying items with the "Open Box" flag on them?

I've NEVER had a bad experience like that from Newegg (Fryes sold me a $1,100 monitor that had scratches and was obviously used, but never Newegg).

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I agree with the poster who mentioned that NewEgg is slowest to drop prices but stablize lower. I have never had any problems with them. I use NewEgg and ZipZoomFly about evenly depending on who has the better price at the time. I find they both get stuff to me in about the same amout of time.

One poster mentioned that things took longer with UPS. I have found that often FedEx takes longer to get things to me. I believe the main difference between how long the two companies take to get things to a given address is how far their mearest large center is. I happen to have one of UPS's larger centers about 20 min away so shipments with them get to me very quickly.

extremefire

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
I'm having problems with NewEgg as well. Whenever I order something new, they send me an obviously re-packaged, used product. Nasty, nasty habit. Don't you think?

I forgot to mention this as well, on one of the hard drives I ordered, the tag that seals the anti-static bag was broken already when I opened the box. I made sure to mention it to a customer service rep when I complained about missing three motherboards from my order.

sailer

Splendid

I forgot to mention this as well, on one of the hard drives I ordered, the tag that seals the anti-static bag was broken already when I opened the box. I made sure to mention it to a customer service rep when I complained about missing three motherboards from my order.

That sounds more like theft during shipping, not the fault of anyone at Newegg.

I have noticed prices climbing at Newegg while the same items get cheaper at Tiger Direct and other places. I don't know who's in charge of their pricing policy, but whoever it is, he/she needs to look around and see what the competition is doing.

extremefire

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
That sounds more like theft during shipping, not the fault of anyone at Newegg.

That may be true, but unfortunately I can not check out the drive until the motherboards that they neglected to put in my box arrive. And since they are putting off processing the order until tomorrow I will not have them until next Monday.

And to think that the only reason I ordered with Newegg this time around was so that I could float the charge on their Preferred account program for six months. I guess it wasn't worth it after all.

TSIMonster

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
I agree with the poster who mentioned that NewEgg is slowest to drop prices but stablize lower. I have never had any problems with them. I use NewEgg and ZipZoomFly about evenly depending on who has the better price at the time. I find they both get stuff to me in about the same amout of time.

One poster mentioned that things took longer with UPS. I have found that often FedEx takes longer to get things to me. I believe the main difference between how long the two companies take to get things to a given address is how far their mearest large center is. I happen to have one of UPS's larger centers about 20 min away so shipments with them get to me very quickly.

I have heard ppl say FedEx is faster all the time in regaurds to NewEgg. While I hate all shipping companies b/c they all suck, UPS always gets me my stuff from NewEgg faster. I actually made 2 orders, 1 UPS and 1 FedEx just to see...

rooophy

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I am having some issues of my own with Newegg right now, but its due to somebody in their TN warehouse not packing all of my items in the box, and them failing to ship another package properly.

I used zipzoomfly a few times and recently for the rig I have in my signature, everything was on time, new in sealed boxes and nicely packaged. I've never used Newegg but it sounds like they are not up to par.

DiverDave

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
I just purchased all the components for a new PC from Newegg. Everything was new and sealed in the OEM packaging, not repackaged items.

UPS shipping got half the items (those shipped from CA) to me in 2 days (3 day shipping specified). The rest in 3 days as promised.

I have no issues with continuing to use them. Price wise they were, overall, slightly cheaper than Tigerdirect or ZZF though on specific individual components that was not necessarily true.

diplomat696

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2004
every component other than 2 or 3 minor things i have ever purchased has come from newegg. I havent bought anything too recently, couple of months ago was probably the last time but they have always gotten everything to me on time or before it was due and I have never received anything that I have needed to return or that has looked as if it was opened or a previous return etc.

I am about to start researching for a new system for next year and perhaps I will look around more thoroughly on prices reading what you guys are saying in regards to newegg though.

Good lookin out on all the feedback guys, most helpful to us people who buy less frequently than some of you out there.

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Back in the day when Fed-ex was the only option, everything got here ahead of schedule and correctly. Now with ups, I have had ups drop my parts off at wrong locations.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Kinda the same deal as you. My new rig was ordered all but 2 items from zipzoomfly, the other 2 from the egg.

Ordered same night, zip used fedex(cheap) and egg used ups, both from california to the east coast, the zip was 3 days, egg 5 days.

And on all components the two shared, almost $200 difference on cpu, psu, hd, case, oS, and RAM.

Got my dvd and dvdrw from the egg.

Kingslayer

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Speaking of the Egg, I just ordered a new PSU from them. I recieved it yesterday via UPS on time no problems. Today i come home from work and they have sent me another PSU exactly the same! Same order number, different tracking number from their TN warehouse. I'm thinking, this one is free maybe?

sailer

Splendid
Speaking of the Egg, I just ordered a new PSU from them. I recieved it yesterday via UPS on time no problems. Today i come home from work and they have sent me another PSU exactly the same! Same order number, different tracking number from their TN warehouse. I'm thinking, this one is free maybe?

Maybe, but don't think too long about it. You very might well see two charges on your credit card bill when it comes.

extremefire

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2005
Until this week, I avidly promoted Newegg, I would check ZZF for prices, but generally I either picked up the items from either Newegg or D&H. It just seems like Newegg dropped the ball on this one.

I don't know what happened but overall, with the exception of how readily they were to reship the items I was missing from one box, their customer service has been crap.

One thing I don't get is that they are willing to pay for next day shipping on my missing items ($40 Fedex) but will not rush the order through, which is only valued at $2.99, so that it ends up taking two days to process the new items. Hell I would of been willing to pay that extra $2.99 to have had it processed faster.

Its just unfortunate that a company like Newegg, that seemed to have such a good rep, has been having so many problems as of late.

And for Kingslayer, I wouldn't say a word. I was double shipped something on this order, something that I was told was BO, canceled from my order, re-ordered a different item, and then the item that was BO was in the box anyway. Usually I would step-up and say something, but frankly, this time, it isn't going to happen.