Strange Wireless Network Problem

afboss13

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I have just installed an Aztech DSL305EW wireless router for my office. The router comes with a 4 ethernet ports.

PCs that are connected directly to the ethernet ports are working fine. All the other notebooks are also able to connect wirelessly (unsecured mode).

When I implemented WEP, the notebooks can get connected but only with 'Limited access'. There are no internet or nework access at all. However, if I manually enter the IP address and DNS, then it worked. Why can't the router's DHCP be able to assign IP addresses to my wireless notebooks only when WEP is implemented?

Also, one of my notebooks faces the same problem even when connected via a Lan cable.

Help!

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Make sure you have the latest firmware for the router. May be a known issue with that AP/Router combo.

As a workaround, how many notebooks do you have on the WLAN typically? Might be easier to just leave the static IP's in place though I can think of many scenarios where that would not be a workable fix.

I would recommend using WPA if your clients support it, especially in an office environment. If your company values it's data and if there is any possibility of nearby snoopers or parking lot wardrivers then WEP is a bad choice for WLAN security.