Can't change the name of an attached printer

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

Hi all,

In my LAN I have Windows 98 PCs sharing printers. When I attach these
printers to a XP Proffesional PC I can't change the name of the printer on
my "Printers" folder. I mean just change the name of the remote printer on
my desktop, not to change the shared name of the printer on the Win98 PC
that acts as a printer server. In Win98 I can freely change the name of the
attached printer, but not in WinXP. In Win2000 I can't also. Why? Is it any
trick to do that?

Thanks in advance
Faustino
1 answer Last reply
More about change attached printer
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I found a way, may be it will be useful for somebody else:
    The trick is install the shared printer in the remote PC as a local one, by
    creating a local port that points to the remote server. Local printers are
    allowed to change their name. On the printers folder you should do the
    following:

    -Add a local printer. Choose not to find it automatically.
    -Create a new local port. The name of the port is the Microsoft network path
    to the shared printer.
    -Type the printer name you want

    I hope you find it useful

    "Faustino Dina" <ffdina@matusa.com.mx> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > In my LAN I have Windows 98 PCs sharing printers. When I attach these
    > printers to a XP Proffesional PC I can't change the name of the printer on
    > my "Printers" folder. I mean just change the name of the remote printer on
    > my desktop, not to change the shared name of the printer on the Win98 PC
    > that acts as a printer server. In Win98 I can freely change the name of
    the
    > attached printer, but not in WinXP. In Win2000 I can't also. Why? Is it
    any
    > trick to do that?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Faustino