Windows Question?

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
It should work on your computer, but OEM software is more difficult to install and get everything correct. I would look into retail edition. They might have that same upgrade option.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I've never noticed any difference in OEM and retail software (except for the price). I've never done a Media Center install, but I didn't notice any difference in XP pro. Also, I would be leary as to if Microsoft will honor the certificate to home system builders. It sounds like you have to purchase from a Registered System builder to receive the upgrade. I could be totally wrong, but I would do my homework before buying if that is what you are basing your purchase decision on.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
The license for OEM windows requires that you buy computer hardware along with it - like a processor or something. It no more nor less difficult to install than the retail version.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
sruane is right, you may have to buy a piece of hardware. I have purchased OEM Windows from Newegg by itself. However, if you do have to buy hardware, just throw in some cheap part.

Negative528

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
Just an FYI:

OEM can only be activated on one computer and once you've done that it's locked to that computer. If you upgrade too much or buy a new computer you'll have to buy a new copy of Windows.

Retail allows you to reuse your copy on upgraded/new computers. (Only one at a time of course.)

So, if you upgrade often it's probably in your best interest to buy retail.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't think you can use OEM versions to activate 'upgrade' versions of Microsoft software.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Just an FYI:

OEM can only be activated on one computer and once you've done that it's locked to that computer. If you upgrade too much or buy a new computer you'll have to buy a new copy of Windows.

Retail allows you to reuse your copy on upgraded/new computers. (Only one at a time of course.)

So, if you upgrade often it's probably in your best interest to buy retail.

Also, I'm not 100% sure about this, but I don't think you can use OEM versions to activate 'upgrade' versions of Microsoft software.

I upgrade my computers which have OEM windows all the time. Of my five copies of windows, three have required a call to Microsoft to reactivate, but it was just a phone call. No big deal.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
When you call to reactivate, is it an automated call or do you have to talk to someone and explain why you are reactivating? I have heard both ways from different people.

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
When you call to reactivate, is it an automated call or do you have to talk to someone and explain why you are reactivating? I have heard both ways from different people.

At first its automated. You key some numbers into the phone. If all is well, the "voice" reads a set of numbers back and you use those to activate.

If not, you get to talk to a person who will make you promise that you only have that particular copy of windows installed on a single machine. Then he'll give you the numbers.

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
the main difference between OEM and Retail is the packaging...
they save money on a white box(if you even get a box) compared to the pretty retail box.

as for the hardware you have to buy typically it is with the purchase of a Motherboard...

sruane

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
Yeah right, Microsoft give something away for FREE! :D

I don't want anything for free. I'm willing to pay a reasonable fee for an upgrade. However, I'm not willing to pay fill price to update my copy of WinXp which I paid full price for. When I upgraded from Win3.11 to Win95, the upgrade was cheaper than the full product.

Also, the coupon is in no way free - it entities the bearer to pay a reduced price for the upgrade.

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply anything. I beleive there are some coupons that let you upgrade from Media Center to "Ultimate" for free and from XP Pro to "Business" for free. The upgrade from XP Home is at a cost. Anyway, my comment was just a light backhand at the way Microsoft does it's licensing. You really see how ridiculous the costs are when you work in a Server/Client environment!

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I guess what I was thinking of wasn't actually a coupon, rather the Express Upgrade program. If you go to Microsoft's site you will find a list of vendors that offer this program. I would assume the coupon that comes with OEM software (like the one offered at Newegg) would be the same thing. Also, I stand corrected on the Ultimate part. You get an upgrade from Media Center to Home Premium. There are too many versions to keep straight :)

mcain591

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
yes, you will be able to recieve an upgrade if you buy one of the new OS packages.
and, OEM is the ONLY way that anyone should think of buying OS's. If you don't and go retail, all you get is the cool little box and an "introduction" to your OS, while OEM is half the price. OMFG you dont get the box. NOOOOO!!!!. :roll: WHo cares. 94% of people are gonna throw it away anyhow.
And when you're looking at Ultimate, the lowered price is a great thing.

Negative528

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
There was a time when MS claimed that they wouldn't allow OEM versions to be transfered to new/upgraded machines. That was the whole point of buying retail over OEM.

I guess it didn't fly.

Good news! I now have an extra copy of Windows XP Home I didn't think I had. :?

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, I bought a Dell for SUPER cheap off of ebay, ripped out the CPU, memory, and hard drive, and was able to use the XP license on a new machine with no trouble. :)

techtre2003

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Agreed. Actually I think that goes for about any software, unless the retail comes with a comprehensive users guide you will actually use and that isn't available for free download.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Just an FYI:
OEM can only be activated on one computerand once you've done that it's locked to that computer.

As with any version of Windows ...

If you upgrade too much or buy a new computer you'll have to buy a new copy of Windows.

If you upgrade too much or a major piece such as the CPU or HD you have to call in and get a key. If you put it on an entirely different machine you have to assure the boyz in India that you've killed it on the old machine. Once again, as with all XP or greater.

Retail allows you to reuse your copy on upgraded/new computers. (Only one at a time of course.).

Nothing new here, move along.

There is no such thing as an OEM upgrade. If you have an OEM version of Windows you will get an OEM key. If you have a retail version you will get a retail key. If you get an upgrade you will get an upgrade key. If you add a new device that requires the Windows disk be inserted you will need to insert your proper disk for that machine. If you insert the wrong disk, based on the key info, Windows will let you know.

When I moved my main machine to x64 I installed the XPPro that had been on it, (BTW: that XPPro had been on that machine through 3 chips, several memory steppings and 2 HD's), to a perimeter box. I had to make the call, got the key, and activated the x64 while I had them online. Both installs were OEM.