How do i increase bandwidth between 2 comps on my lan?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
i have a computer set up as my mp3 server. when i connect to it through my mapped drive, it takes ~3 minutes for the contents of the folder to display, and when i want to scroll through, it is painfully slow. any ideas on how i can speed this up? both computers are running xp pro sp2 and the link between them is a wireless linksys router. signal strength is always excellent.

thanks guys...
:?:

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
What colums do you display in windows explorer ?

I found that displaying things like runtime, artist, tracknumber ..... really slows things down. Simply right-click the menu bar in Explorer and remove unwanted columns.

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
hmmm.... i dont even seem to have those options. all i have checked are standard buttons and address bar? its hard to do anything b/c whenever i click or scroll, i get the "not responding" message up top.

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
One thing that can slow you down is real time virus scanning. If you have AV running on the mp3 player, turn off real time virus scanning if it's on, otherwise, it will scan any file that is accessed. You can always just scan files as you download them.

edit: Actually, if you have it running on the client that you are accessing with, it will do the same thing. So you may have 2 different machines scanning the same file everytime you look at it...

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
Try going to network places and removing any shortcuts that are there. If there are shortcuts there are various instances when network browsing where all files in those shortcuts will be parsed. May not help but worth a try and if you have alot of shortcuts in network places then it's definitely something to take a look at. Typically however mapped drives is actually a workaround for this problem in XP.

For mapped drives often your desktop.ini can cause network issues. You can only see the file if you have Hide protected file system files unchecked in explorer, tools, view tab. Basically you may have some file locks. You can view file locks by, while accessing shares from the client side, running OPENFILES /s MyServer |Find "desktop.ini" from the server while the client is attempting the access. Deleting the ini file should solve the problem if that is what is happening.

The aforementioned A/V scanning can cause slowdowns. Master browser traffic may also be a culprit. If your client machine is not also serving files then you can disable the server service on that box.