cropping in Paint

How do I crop a pic so that it will be exactly the same width as height in
terms of pixels? For example, I have several full-length photos of people
and I would like to crop them around the face to use as avatars, but I want
the new photos to be EXACTLY 80x80 or 150x150. As of now, I can only eyeball
it, but I am always off by a few pixels.

With the status bar visible, the dimensions of the crop are displayed as
you stretch the rectangle. Might be easier using a different graphics
program such as Irfanview (freeware), or HyperSnap (shareware).

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:35:02 -0800, Chicken wrote:

> How do I crop a pic so that it will be exactly the same width as height in
> terms of pixels? For example, I have several full-length photos of people
> and I would like to crop them around the face to use as avatars, but I want
> the new photos to be EXACTLY 80x80 or 150x150. As of now, I can only eyeball
> it, but I am always off by a few pixels.

It's not unusual to see a discrepancy of a few pixels vertically,
horizontally or both. If you are unable to find a program that can crop to
your exact specifications, you may need to try a few workarounds:

Save the cropped image in a lossless format - *.bmp, for example.

Layer a solid neutral color behind the image so that if a row or two of
pixels does get dropped you don't have a "blank" edge. Example: If the
image is to be placed on a web page, place it in a table and use a neutral
background color in the cell that will hold the picture's position on the
page.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Paint doesn't have a crop function.
If you're looking for something freeware that might help you with this
chore, try Irfanview (www.irfanview.com)
It has an option to set a custom selection of an area of a picture, by x,y
coordinates so you can see where it will be placed and then by a # of pixels
for the selection. You then can just copy the 'custom selection area' and
paste it as a new picture in Paint to be saved.
(Set the 'canvassize' (attributes) in paint to the number of pixels you
need, then file new, paste your selection and save file.
There are definitely other programs that offer 'crop' functions but chances
are they're not free.

Just one way of doing this.
hth
George

"Chicken" <Chicken@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I crop a pic so that it will be exactly the same width as height in
> terms of pixels? For example, I have several full-length photos of people
> and I would like to crop them around the face to use as avatars, but I
> want
> the new photos to be EXACTLY 80x80 or 150x150. As of now, I can only
> eyeball
> it, but I am always off by a few pixels.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Paint doesn't have a crop function.

Umm, yes it does.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Paint doesn't have a crop function.
>
> Umm, yes it does.

Let me clarify my statement
yes it will reduce the canvas to a certain number of pixels (crop), if
you're lucky and your area of interest happens to be in the left hand upper
corner, you're almost done. Otherwise you need to resort to selecting an
area (with the difficulty of getting it to the right dimensions and in the
right place), cutting/copying it and pasting it on a smaller canvas.
Programs like Irfanview just put a exactly (# pixels)defined rectangle on
exactly the coordinates you need and otherwise you can just visually drag
the selection rectangle to the place you want it, followed by a simple copy.
IMHO works easier.

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "george" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Paint doesn't have a crop function.
>>
>> Umm, yes it does.
>>
> Let me clarify my statement
> yes it will reduce the canvas to a certain number of pixels (crop), if
> you're lucky and your area of interest happens to be in the left hand
> upper corner, you're almost done. Otherwise you need to resort to
> selecting an area (with the difficulty of getting it to the right
> dimensions and in the right place), cutting/copying it and pasting it on a
> smaller canvas.
> Programs like Irfanview just put a exactly (# pixels)defined rectangle on
> exactly the coordinates you need and otherwise you can just visually drag
> the selection rectangle to the place you want it, followed by a simple
> copy.
> IMHO works easier.

While I agree Infranview is better, Paint does crop, and can be resized with
great ease. You don't need to do what you stated in Paint to accomplish the
task. One can draw the square outline, or the draw outline, copy that
selected area, clear the line, select all, delete the whole image, then
paste the clipboard. Then all one has to do is resize the outline of the
original canvas by dragging the edges of that original layout to the newer
size image, and it is very easy. All you do is resize the original canvas to
the newer pasted size.

OK I see now. I never bothered to look down toward the status bar. Just
never noticed it! Thanks for helping me out, I really appreciate it.

"Lu Powell" wrote:

> With the status bar visible, the dimensions of the crop are displayed as
> you stretch the rectangle. Might be easier using a different graphics
> program such as Irfanview (freeware), or HyperSnap (shareware).

Thanks for the heads up on this free program. I will definitely look into it.

"george" wrote:

> Let me clarify my statement
> yes it will reduce the canvas to a certain number of pixels (crop), if
> you're lucky and your area of interest happens to be in the left hand upper
> corner, you're almost done. Otherwise you need to resort to selecting an
> area (with the difficulty of getting it to the right dimensions and in the
> right place), cutting/copying it and pasting it on a smaller canvas.
> Programs like Irfanview just put a exactly (# pixels)defined rectangle on
> exactly the coordinates you need and otherwise you can just visually drag
> the selection rectangle to the place you want it, followed by a simple copy.
> IMHO works easier.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Thanks Tom,

See, one learns something new everyday!
Even if it is something that is simpel. :))

cheers
george