Sign in with
Your question

Tactical Strike:: Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer

Last response: in Site Feedback
April 7, 2008 12:25:41 AM

Episode 1: Benjamin Tzeng Sengoku covers leveling up, proper grenade usage and camping in Call of Duty 4.

Watch it here: http://www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/tactical_...

[space reserved to discuss the stuff that didn't make it into the video, like FOV, console settings, short range ambush (more camping), and loadouts.]

If you have a tactic you want to share, or something you want to see in a future show, here's a good place for it.
April 7, 2008 6:58:11 AM

Brilliant video, I won't lie, box map with a large machine gun and martyrdom is the best way to level like a pro, but I still feel dirty every time I do it (;

Any chance of getting a video of non-legitimate tactics, such as map exploits and spawn camping?

Favourite quote: "This scene is intense, not as in saving Private Ryan intense, but as in epileptics should not watch this scene intense."

P.S. a link to the video may be useful so I stuck the link here
Related resources
April 8, 2008 1:13:36 PM

Shouldn't this be on YouTube instead of THG?
April 12, 2008 3:09:04 AM

I don't have much to add. except that I loved this! Keep up the awesome work with all the videos!

:D 
April 14, 2008 6:37:07 PM

Ok, hang on a second.

Your "tactical" advice consists of spawn killing with an LMG, using the noob launcher, and camping? And all on non-hardcore servers? This is not tactics. This is a travesty.

You are a noob, and this is a noob's guide to behavior that will get you booted from any server with a watchful admin. Next you will be suggesting jumping around corners and using martyrdom on friendly fire servers.

For anyone who wants to play the game well, steps one and two should be ditching the grenade launcher and martyrdom and taking perks that improve how well you play instead of improving your chances of getting a few extra lucky kills.

Actual tactics are pretty simple: round corners looking down the sights, be aware of your teammates and check their blind spots, don't stand in doorways, keep your intervals. I don't know why this kind of stuff didn't make it in.
April 14, 2008 6:49:38 PM

MrMonroe said:
Actual tactics are pretty simple: round corners looking down the sights, be aware of your teammates and check their blind spots, don't stand in doorways, keep your intervals. I don't know why this kind of stuff didn't make it in.

"Um, because those are obvious?" says Rob, as he checks his blind spots and round the corner with the sights.

April 15, 2008 6:32:34 PM

Obvious to you and I, maybe... These are the most common mistakes I see players make online, even in hardcore servers. Ever seen five people get hit by the same grenade? Happens all the time. Ever gotten killed because someone was crouched in a doorway taking a sniper shot? I know I have. How often have you knifed three people because they were all standing facing the same way looking over some boxes? People fail to do this stuff constantly.

Of course, regardless of whether this is obvious, the stuff that did make it into the video is unsporting and reinforces bad playing, preventing you from advancing in skill.

Don't act like a tool, and just play the game to the best of your abilities. People who act like serious players get to level 55 in a matter of days anyway. You shouldn't need cheap tricks.
April 29, 2008 4:19:15 AM

MrMonroe said:
Ok, hang on a second.

Your "tactical" advice consists of spawn killing with an LMG, using the noob launcher, and camping? And all on non-hardcore servers? This is not tactics. This is a travesty.

You are a noob, and this is a noob's guide to behavior that will get you booted from any server with a watchful admin. Next you will be suggesting jumping around corners and using martyrdom on friendly fire servers.

For anyone who wants to play the game well, steps one and two should be ditching the grenade launcher and martyrdom and taking perks that improve how well you play instead of improving your chances of getting a few extra lucky kills.

Sorry for the delay.

I did not cover those things, not because they are too simple, but because they are too advanced.

Most of your other suggestions involve moving with other people. We have not covered moving individually yet. Coordinated movement needs to come after that.

In your average public server, the limit of people’s tactical grasp right now is, “Hey everyone! Rush down the left side!”

You have, of course noticed, that none of the techniques I described in this video require aiming.

This is DELIBERATE.

We have not covered the fundamental skill of aiming yet. Of spotting a target, lining it up in your sights, adjusting for movement/lag, and then taking the shot.

With a significant amount of America's Army Online in my background, I actually prefer hardcore tactical mode, friendly fire on.

I did not want to cover hardcore before I covered softcore.

So, the criteria for what makes it on screen: It must be visually interesting, or it would be an article instead. It must be something tried and known to be effective. It should be specific to that game.

The things that we did not have time to fit in, that I wanted to was field of view adjustments, also, how the COD 4 game engine tries to prevent spawn camping, and how you can use it to your advantage.

But there were sound problems with that footage.

This was our first try at this show. If I am granted the privilege of continuing this series, we may put on the kind of show you're talking about.
!