Uninstalling Windows XP

Can someone tell me how to uninstall Windows XP? I go to add/remove programs
and there is only a selection for certain components, but not the entire
thing. So can someone tell me where I go and how to do it? Also, will all of
my other programs stay on the computer and be available after I reinstall XP?
I thank you in advance for any help.

Sincerely,

Karen
11 answers Last reply
More about uninstalling windows

    "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Can someone tell me how to uninstall Windows XP? I go to add/remove
    programs
    | and there is only a selection for certain components, but not the entire
    | thing. So can someone tell me where I go and how to do it? Also, will all
    of
    | my other programs stay on the computer and be available after I reinstall
    XP?
    | I thank you in advance for any help.
    |
    | Sincerely,
    |
    | Karen

    You can't uninstall the operating system from within the operating
    system--think about it for a minute. Why are you trying to reinstall?
    That's a pretty drawtic measure, and might be unnecessary. Describe the
    problems you're having and maybe someone can help.

    Raymond,

    First of all, thank you for your time. My problem is this: When I
    initially installed Windows XP (Home Version), it did not configure properly
    for whatever reason. The main problem I have is with the user accounts. I
    should have been listed as computer administrator, however, it lists my
    daughter as the administrator. Additionally, it will not allow my daughter to
    access the internet from her user account and she has to use mine. There was
    also a problem during installation that has caused something to be wrong with
    the printer. I recieve HP printer error everytime I log on and it will not
    correct itself.
    I would like to just uninstall the entire Windows XP and then reinstall it,
    setting all of my configurations again, this time properly.
    I would also like to leave all of my other programs installed so that when I
    reinstall XP they will be there.
    Are you saying that I cannot uninstall XP? Isnt it just like uninstalling
    any other program?
    Thanks again for your time, Raymond.

    Karen

    | Raymond,
    |
    | First of all, thank you for your time. My problem is this: When I
    | initially installed Windows XP (Home Version), it did not configure
    properly
    | for whatever reason. The main problem I have is with the user accounts.
    | should have been listed as computer administrator, however, it lists my
    | daughter as the administrator. Additionally, it will not allow my daughter
    | access the internet from her user account and she has to use mine. There
    was
    | also a problem during installation that has caused something to be wrong
    with
    | the printer. I recieve HP printer error everytime I log on and it will not
    | correct itself.
    | I would like to just uninstall the entire Windows XP and then reinstall
    it,
    | setting all of my configurations again, this time properly.
    | I would also like to leave all of my other programs installed so that when
    | reinstall XP they will be there.
    | Are you saying that I cannot uninstall XP? Isnt it just like uninstalling
    | any other program?
    | Thanks again for your time, Raymond.
    |
    | Karen
    |
    | "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:
    |

    | > "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | > | Can someone tell me how to uninstall Windows XP? I go to add/remove
    | > programs
    | > | and there is only a selection for certain components, but not the
    entire
    | > | thing. So can someone tell me where I go and how to do it? Also, will
    all
    | > of
    | > | my other programs stay on the computer and be available after I
    reinstall
    | > XP?
    | > | I thank you in advance for any help.
    | > |
    | > | Sincerely,
    | > |
    | > | Karen
    | >
    | > You can't uninstall the operating system from within the operating
    | > system--think about it for a minute. Why are you trying to reinstall?
    | > That's a pretty drawtic measure, and might be unnecessary. Describe the
    | > problems you're having and maybe someone can help.

    I'm not saying that you can't do away with your present installation, you
    just can't uninstall it like you would an application, for the same reason
    that you can't saw off the tree limb you're perched on. You can control
    user accounts without reinstalling, and your printer issue is probably due
    to either a corrupted driver, a mismatched driver, or a faulty printer
    installation--all simple to deal with, assuming there are XP drivers
    available for the printer.

    Start with the user account issue. Open Help and Support and look up "user
    accounts" and read what it says there. As for the printer, you should,
    1) Go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest XP driver.
    2) Disconnect the printer from the computer.
    3) Delete the printer (Control Panel > Printers and Faxes)
    4) Install the new driver *don't connect the printer yet*
    5) Turn off the computer
    6) Connect the printer and turn the computer back on.

    XP should find the printer and install it.

    Post back if you need more help or information.

    Karen check here to learn what an operating system is
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Operating+System+(OS)

    The only way you can uninstall Windows XP and retain your currently
    installed programs is if you have initially started with an operating system
    like Windows 98 or Me and then upgraded overtop that existing operating
    system to Windows XP. If you do an Upgrade there will indeed be an Uninstall
    Windows XP option in Add and Remove Programs. However it looks like you did
    what is called a "clean install" (otherwise called new install or fresh
    install). That being so there is no Uninstall option short of starting all
    over again. That means wiping your drive and reinstalling XP then
    reinstalling your applications. However you can use Windows XP's Files and
    Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST) to backup your files and application
    settings. Once you've reinstalled XP and applications you can then use the
    FAST backup file to restore your settings. See this page by Gary Woodruff
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

    Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
    www.webtree.ca

> [...]
    | > daughter as the administrator. Additionally, it will not allow my
    daughter
    | > access the internet from her user account and she has to use mine.
    There
    | > was
    | > also a problem during installation that has caused something to be wrong
    | > with
    | > the printer. I recieve HP printer error everytime I log on and it will
    not
    | > correct itself.
    | > I would like to just uninstall the entire Windows XP and then reinstall
    | > it,
    | > setting all of my configurations again, this time properly.
    | > I would also like to leave all of my other programs installed so that
    when
    | > reinstall XP they will be there.
    | > Are you saying that I cannot uninstall XP? Isnt it just like

    | >> |
    | >> |

    | >> You can't uninstall the operating system from within the operating
    | >> system--think about it for a minute. Why are you trying to reinstall?
    | >> That's a pretty drawtic measure, and might be unnecessary. Describe the
    | >> problems you're having and maybe someone can help.

    A repair install is also an option and should be tried before a clean
    install, if in fact a reinstallation is necessary at all.

    Hi, Harry - and Karen.

    > That being so there is no Uninstall option short of starting all over
    > again. That means wiping your drive and reinstalling XP then reinstalling
    > your applications.

    Don't forget the option of an "in-place upgrade", which reinstalls WinXP
    itself, but preserves your installed applications and data. It does not
    reformat the drive. For official instructions, see this KB article:
    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

    You might prefer MVP Michael Stevens' version of the instructions:

    But I agree with Raymond that a less-drastic solution might work in this
    case. The in-place upgrade will take an hour or two, including
    reinstallation of SP2 if it is not "slipstreamed" into your copy of WinXP.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message

> [...]
    > reinstall
    > | > it,
    > | > setting all of my configurations again, this time properly.
    > | > I would also like to leave all of my other programs installed so that
    > when
    > | > reinstall XP they will be there.
    > | > Are you saying that I cannot uninstall XP? Isnt it just like
    > uninstalling
    > | > any other program?
    > | > Thanks again for your time, Raymond.
    > | >
    > | > Karen

    > add/remove
    > will
    > | >> |
    > | >> |

    > reinstall?
    > the
    > | >>

    > A repair install is also an option and should be tried before a clean
    > install, if in fact a reinstallation is necessary at all.

    A typical clean install isn't drastic, it's just time consuming. I setup
    systems very often. Generally it takes me about 4 hours from start to
    finish. That takes into account the fresh install, installing Critical
    Updates from my SP2 download, basic tweaking, getting connected to the
    internet, setting up an e-mail account and installing software. It often
    takes far longer to try and sort out the kinds of problems that Karen is
    referring to. I wonder how long she has spent so far? Anyway I don't think
    that a Repair Install will solve her user account problems. After the Repair
    Install she will be back at the same place she is now.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Hi R.C. As I mentioned to Ray Jay it is possible that she will spend far
    more time trying to troubleshoot these problems than a clean install would
    take.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    Harry Ohrn wrote:
    > Hi R.C. As I mentioned to Ray Jay it is possible that she will spend
    > far more time trying to troubleshoot these problems than a clean
    > install would take.

    I agree with you in this situation, the repair would leave them in the same
    configuration.
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    | "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
    | > | Karen check here to learn what an operating system is
    | > |

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Operating+System+
    | > (OS)
    | > |
    | > | The only way you can uninstall Windows XP and retain your currently
    | > | installed programs is if you have initially started with an operating
    | > system
    | > | like Windows 98 or Me and then upgraded overtop that existing
    operating
    | > | system to Windows XP. If you do an Upgrade there will indeed be an
    | > Uninstall
    | > | Windows XP option in Add and Remove Programs. However it looks like
    you
    | > did
    | > | what is called a "clean install" (otherwise called new install or
    fresh
    | > | install). That being so there is no Uninstall option short of starting
    | > all
    | > | over again. That means wiping your drive and reinstalling XP then
    | > | reinstalling your applications. However you can use Windows XP's Files
    | > and
    | > | Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST) to backup your files and application
    | > | settings. Once you've reinstalled XP and applications you can then
    use
    | > the
    | > | FAST backup file to restore your settings. See this page by Gary
    | > Woodruff
    | > | http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
    | > |
    | > | Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
    | > | www.webtree.ca
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    | > accounts.
    | > my
    | > daughter
    | > There
    | > wrong
    | > not
    | > reinstall
    | > when
    | > uninstalling

    | > add/remove
    | > will
    | > | >> |
    | > | >> |

    | > reinstall?
    | > the
    | > | >>

    | > A repair install is also an option and should be tried before a clean
    | > install, if in fact a reinstallation is necessary at all.
    | >

    | A typical clean install isn't drastic, it's just time consuming. I setup
    | systems very often. Generally it takes me about 4 hours from start to
    | finish. That takes into account the fresh install, installing Critical
    | Updates from my SP2 download, basic tweaking, getting connected to the
    | internet, setting up an e-mail account and installing software. It often
    | takes far longer to try and sort out the kinds of problems that Karen is
    | referring to. I wonder how long she has spent so far? Anyway I don't think
    | that a Repair Install will solve her user account problems. After the
    Repair
    | Install she will be back at the same place she is now.
    | --
    |
    | Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    | www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    You'll note that I suggested that *any* kind of reinstallation probably
    isn't necessary. My only point was that often a repair install is preferable
    to a clean install, but it depends on the circumstances.

    Hi Karen

    I agree with all the solution you have had up to now, I think your first
    option is to try and reconfigure your administrator account, then try and
    find the proper driver fro your printer.

    Ray Jay gives you a good idea of how to do this. A clean install is allways
    the last option to use, cause you can loose a lot of information doing so.

    good luck.

    Tech_jean

Microsoft Windows XP