Karen

Can someone tell me how to uninstall Windows XP? I go to add/remove programs
and there is only a selection for certain components, but not the entire
thing. So can someone tell me where I go and how to do it? Also, will all of
my other programs stay on the computer and be available after I reinstall XP?
I thank you in advance for any help.

Sincerely,

Karen

"Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Can someone tell me how to uninstall Windows XP? I go to add/remove
programs
| and there is only a selection for certain components, but not the entire
| thing. So can someone tell me where I go and how to do it? Also, will all
of
| my other programs stay on the computer and be available after I reinstall
XP?
| I thank you in advance for any help.
|
| Sincerely,
|
| Karen

You can't uninstall the operating system from within the operating
system--think about it for a minute. Why are you trying to reinstall?
That's a pretty drawtic measure, and might be unnecessary. Describe the
problems you're having and maybe someone can help.

Karen

Raymond,

First of all, thank you for your time. My problem is this: When I
initially installed Windows XP (Home Version), it did not configure properly
for whatever reason. The main problem I have is with the user accounts. I
should have been listed as computer administrator, however, it lists my
daughter as the administrator. Additionally, it will not allow my daughter to
access the internet from her user account and she has to use mine. There was
also a problem during installation that has caused something to be wrong with
the printer. I recieve HP printer error everytime I log on and it will not
correct itself.
I would like to just uninstall the entire Windows XP and then reinstall it,
setting all of my configurations again, this time properly.
I would also like to leave all of my other programs installed so that when I
reinstall XP they will be there.
Are you saying that I cannot uninstall XP? Isnt it just like uninstalling
any other program?
Thanks again for your time, Raymond.

Karen

| Raymond,
|
| First of all, thank you for your time. My problem is this: When I
| initially installed Windows XP (Home Version), it did not configure
properly
| for whatever reason. The main problem I have is with the user accounts.
| should have been listed as computer administrator, however, it lists my
| daughter as the administrator. Additionally, it will not allow my daughter
| access the internet from her user account and she has to use mine. There
was
| also a problem during installation that has caused something to be wrong
with
| the printer. I recieve HP printer error everytime I log on and it will not
| correct itself.
| I would like to just uninstall the entire Windows XP and then reinstall
it,
| setting all of my configurations again, this time properly.
| I would also like to leave all of my other programs installed so that when
| reinstall XP they will be there.
| Are you saying that I cannot uninstall XP? Isnt it just like uninstalling
| any other program?
| Thanks again for your time, Raymond.
|
| Karen
|
| "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." wrote:
|

| > "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Can someone tell me how to uninstall Windows XP? I go to add/remove
| > programs
| > | and there is only a selection for certain components, but not the
entire
| > | thing. So can someone tell me where I go and how to do it? Also, will
all
| > of
| > | my other programs stay on the computer and be available after I
reinstall
| > XP?
| > | I thank you in advance for any help.
| > |
| > | Sincerely,
| > |
| > | Karen
| >
| > You can't uninstall the operating system from within the operating
| > system--think about it for a minute. Why are you trying to reinstall?
| > That's a pretty drawtic measure, and might be unnecessary. Describe the
| > problems you're having and maybe someone can help.

I'm not saying that you can't do away with your present installation, you
just can't uninstall it like you would an application, for the same reason
that you can't saw off the tree limb you're perched on. You can control
user accounts without reinstalling, and your printer issue is probably due
to either a corrupted driver, a mismatched driver, or a faulty printer
installation--all simple to deal with, assuming there are XP drivers
available for the printer.

Start with the user account issue. Open Help and Support and look up "user
accounts" and read what it says there. As for the printer, you should,
1) Go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest XP driver.
2) Disconnect the printer from the computer.
3) Delete the printer (Control Panel > Printers and Faxes)
4) Install the new driver *don't connect the printer yet*
5) Turn off the computer
6) Connect the printer and turn the computer back on.

XP should find the printer and install it.

Post back if you need more help or information.

Karen check here to learn what an operating system is
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Operating+System+(OS)

The only way you can uninstall Windows XP and retain your currently
installed programs is if you have initially started with an operating system
like Windows 98 or Me and then upgraded overtop that existing operating
system to Windows XP. If you do an Upgrade there will indeed be an Uninstall
Windows XP option in Add and Remove Programs. However it looks like you did
what is called a "clean install" (otherwise called new install or fresh
install). That being so there is no Uninstall option short of starting all
over again. That means wiping your drive and reinstalling XP then
reinstalling your applications. However you can use Windows XP's Files and
Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST) to backup your files and application
settings. Once you've reinstalled XP and applications you can then use the
FAST backup file to restore your settings. See this page by Gary Woodruff
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
www.webtree.ca

> [...]
| > daughter as the administrator. Additionally, it will not allow my
daughter
| > access the internet from her user account and she has to use mine.
There
| > was
| > also a problem during installation that has caused something to be wrong
| > with
| > the printer. I recieve HP printer error everytime I log on and it will
not
| > correct itself.
| > I would like to just uninstall the entire Windows XP and then reinstall
| > it,
| > setting all of my configurations again, this time properly.
| > I would also like to leave all of my other programs installed so that
when
| > reinstall XP they will be there.
| > Are you saying that I cannot uninstall XP? Isnt it just like

| >> |
| >> |

| >> You can't uninstall the operating system from within the operating
| >> system--think about it for a minute. Why are you trying to reinstall?
| >> That's a pretty drawtic measure, and might be unnecessary. Describe the
| >> problems you're having and maybe someone can help.

A repair install is also an option and should be tried before a clean
install, if in fact a reinstallation is necessary at all.

Hi, Harry - and Karen.

> That being so there is no Uninstall option short of starting all over
> again. That means wiping your drive and reinstalling XP then reinstalling
> your applications.

Don't forget the option of an "in-place upgrade", which reinstalls WinXP
itself, but preserves your installed applications and data. It does not
reformat the drive. For official instructions, see this KB article:
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

You might prefer MVP Michael Stevens' version of the instructions:

But I agree with Raymond that a less-drastic solution might work in this
case. The in-place upgrade will take an hour or two, including
reinstallation of SP2 if it is not "slipstreamed" into your copy of WinXP.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message

> [...]
> reinstall
> | > it,
> | > setting all of my configurations again, this time properly.
> | > I would also like to leave all of my other programs installed so that
> when
> | > reinstall XP they will be there.
> | > Are you saying that I cannot uninstall XP? Isnt it just like
> uninstalling
> | > any other program?
> | > Thanks again for your time, Raymond.
> | >
> | > Karen

> add/remove
> will
> | >> |
> | >> |

> reinstall?
> the
> | >>

> A repair install is also an option and should be tried before a clean
> install, if in fact a reinstallation is necessary at all.

A typical clean install isn't drastic, it's just time consuming. I setup
systems very often. Generally it takes me about 4 hours from start to
finish. That takes into account the fresh install, installing Critical
Updates from my SP2 download, basic tweaking, getting connected to the
internet, setting up an e-mail account and installing software. It often
takes far longer to try and sort out the kinds of problems that Karen is
referring to. I wonder how long she has spent so far? Anyway I don't think
that a Repair Install will solve her user account problems. After the Repair
Install she will be back at the same place she is now.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Hi R.C. As I mentioned to Ray Jay it is possible that she will spend far
more time trying to troubleshoot these problems than a clean install would
take.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> Hi R.C. As I mentioned to Ray Jay it is possible that she will spend
> far more time trying to troubleshoot these problems than a clean
> install would take.

I agree with you in this situation, the repair would leave them in the same
configuration.
--
Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

| "Raymond J. Johnson Jr." <RayJay@nospam.org> wrote in message
| >
| > "Harry Ohrn" <harry---@webtree.ca> wrote in message
| > | Karen check here to learn what an operating system is
| > |

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Operating+System+
| > (OS)
| > |
| > | The only way you can uninstall Windows XP and retain your currently
| > | installed programs is if you have initially started with an operating
| > system
| > | like Windows 98 or Me and then upgraded overtop that existing
operating
| > | system to Windows XP. If you do an Upgrade there will indeed be an
| > Uninstall
| > | Windows XP option in Add and Remove Programs. However it looks like
you
| > did
| > | what is called a "clean install" (otherwise called new install or
fresh
| > | install). That being so there is no Uninstall option short of starting
| > all
| > | over again. That means wiping your drive and reinstalling XP then
| > | reinstalling your applications. However you can use Windows XP's Files
| > and
| > | Settings Transfer Wizard (FAST) to backup your files and application
| > | settings. Once you've reinstalled XP and applications you can then
use
| > the
| > | FAST backup file to restore your settings. See this page by Gary
| > Woodruff
| > | http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
| > |
| > | Harry Ohrn MS MVP [Shell\User]
| > | www.webtree.ca
| > |
| > |
| > | "Karen" <Karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

| > accounts.
| > my
| > daughter
| > There
| > wrong
| > not
| > reinstall
| > when
| > uninstalling

| > add/remove
| > will
| > | >> |
| > | >> |

| > reinstall?
| > the
| > | >>

| > A repair install is also an option and should be tried before a clean
| > install, if in fact a reinstallation is necessary at all.
| >

| A typical clean install isn't drastic, it's just time consuming. I setup
| systems very often. Generally it takes me about 4 hours from start to
| finish. That takes into account the fresh install, installing Critical
| Updates from my SP2 download, basic tweaking, getting connected to the
| internet, setting up an e-mail account and installing software. It often
| takes far longer to try and sort out the kinds of problems that Karen is
| referring to. I wonder how long she has spent so far? Anyway I don't think
| that a Repair Install will solve her user account problems. After the
Repair
| Install she will be back at the same place she is now.
| --
|
| Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
| www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

You'll note that I suggested that *any* kind of reinstallation probably
isn't necessary. My only point was that often a repair install is preferable
to a clean install, but it depends on the circumstances.

Hi Karen

I agree with all the solution you have had up to now, I think your first
option is to try and reconfigure your administrator account, then try and
find the proper driver fro your printer.

Ray Jay gives you a good idea of how to do this. A clean install is allways
the last option to use, cause you can loose a lot of information doing so.

good luck.

Tech_jean