Wireless Linux Questions

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hello,

Have not used Linux in years, I have a Laptop with RedHat 9, I have a
couple different wireless cards,

Linksys WUSB11 USB and a notebook adapter

and a D-Link DWL-122

Is there an easy way to make one of these work without having to
recompile a kernel or rewiting the OS, possibly some detailed
instructions? If not what is the best wireless card to use that will
go in easy?

Also is there a way to have a GUI interface for a wireless card in
Linux?
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless linux questions
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Tory Brown wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Have not used Linux in years, I have a Laptop with RedHat 9, I have a
    > couple different wireless cards,
    >
    > Linksys WUSB11 USB and a notebook adapter
    >
    > and a D-Link DWL-122
    >
    > Is there an easy way to make one of these work without having to
    > recompile a kernel or rewiting the OS, possibly some detailed
    > instructions? If not what is the best wireless card to use that will
    > go in easy?
    >
    > Also is there a way to have a GUI interface for a wireless card in
    > Linux?

    I am able to run Redhat 9.0 and Fedora Core 2 under VMWare. The VMWare
    virtual drivers uses the host OS drivers, ie Windows.

    David
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:39:12 -0400, David Chong
    <davidchong@iinet.net.au> wrote:

    >Tory Brown wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Have not used Linux in years, I have a Laptop with RedHat 9, I have a
    >> couple different wireless cards,
    >>
    >> Linksys WUSB11 USB and a notebook adapter
    >>
    >> and a D-Link DWL-122
    >>
    >> Is there an easy way to make one of these work without having to
    >> recompile a kernel or rewiting the OS, possibly some detailed
    >> instructions? If not what is the best wireless card to use that will
    >> go in easy?
    >>
    >> Also is there a way to have a GUI interface for a wireless card in
    >> Linux?
    >
    >I am able to run Redhat 9.0 and Fedora Core 2 under VMWare. The VMWare
    >virtual drivers uses the host OS drivers, ie Windows.
    >
    >David

    Thanks for the response David! Are you using VMWare Workstation or
    Server? I have Workstation and I was duel booting XP and Redhat 9 but
    is that will work I will remove Redhat and use the diskspace for XP
    and VMWare. Thanks for the tip!

    Tory
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Tory Brown wrote:

    > Thanks for the response David! Are you using VMWare Workstation or
    > Server? I have Workstation and I was duel booting XP and Redhat 9 but
    > is that will work I will remove Redhat and use the diskspace for XP
    > and VMWare. Thanks for the tip!
    >
    > Tory

    Hi Tory,

    I am using VMWare workstation. I used to dual boot but not anymore since
    I started using VMWare. Now I can easily switch between both Windows and
    Linux and have both of them running simultaneously.

    David

Wireless Linux Wireless Networking