Wireless Linux Questions

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hello,

Have not used Linux in years, I have a Laptop with RedHat 9, I have a
couple different wireless cards,

Linksys WUSB11 USB and a notebook adapter

and a D-Link DWL-122

Is there an easy way to make one of these work without having to
recompile a kernel or rewiting the OS, possibly some detailed
instructions? If not what is the best wireless card to use that will
go in easy?

Also is there a way to have a GUI interface for a wireless card in
Linux?

Tory Brown wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have not used Linux in years, I have a Laptop with RedHat 9, I have a
> couple different wireless cards,
>
> Linksys WUSB11 USB and a notebook adapter
>
> and a D-Link DWL-122
>
> Is there an easy way to make one of these work without having to
> recompile a kernel or rewiting the OS, possibly some detailed
> instructions? If not what is the best wireless card to use that will
> go in easy?
>
> Also is there a way to have a GUI interface for a wireless card in
> Linux?

I am able to run Redhat 9.0 and Fedora Core 2 under VMWare. The VMWare
virtual drivers uses the host OS drivers, ie Windows.

David

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:39:12 -0400, David Chong
<davidchong@iinet.net.au> wrote:

>Tory Brown wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Have not used Linux in years, I have a Laptop with RedHat 9, I have a
>> couple different wireless cards,
>>
>> Linksys WUSB11 USB and a notebook adapter
>>
>> and a D-Link DWL-122
>>
>> Is there an easy way to make one of these work without having to
>> recompile a kernel or rewiting the OS, possibly some detailed
>> instructions? If not what is the best wireless card to use that will
>> go in easy?
>>
>> Also is there a way to have a GUI interface for a wireless card in
>> Linux?
>
>I am able to run Redhat 9.0 and Fedora Core 2 under VMWare. The VMWare
>virtual drivers uses the host OS drivers, ie Windows.
>
>David

Thanks for the response David! Are you using VMWare Workstation or
Server? I have Workstation and I was duel booting XP and Redhat 9 but
is that will work I will remove Redhat and use the diskspace for XP
and VMWare. Thanks for the tip!

Tory

Tory Brown wrote:

> Thanks for the response David! Are you using VMWare Workstation or
> Server? I have Workstation and I was duel booting XP and Redhat 9 but
> is that will work I will remove Redhat and use the diskspace for XP
> and VMWare. Thanks for the tip!
>
> Tory

Hi Tory,

I am using VMWare workstation. I used to dual boot but not anymore since
I started using VMWare. Now I can easily switch between both Windows and
Linux and have both of them running simultaneously.

David