SFC and XPSP2

I am having a problem with my system file checker. I did not have a problem
with it until after I downloaded XPSP2. I have not noticed any particular
problem with my system but I wanted to check the SFC to ensure it works
properly. When I ran sfc.exe after I installed XPSP2 I began getting the
following message:

"files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the
dll cache, insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".

I have done the following in an effort to correct any problem that I could
find listed here:http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
1) changed the value of the sourcepath under
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
to C:\
2) changed to value of the sourcepath under
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
to C:\
None of the suggestions listed in the above link will fix the problem. I
continue to get the error message to insert the cd. I have the i386 file on
the hard drive under c:\ from the original installation so the pointer under
the hkey_local_machine set up string is pointing to the correct sourcepath. I
am baffled as to what could be wrong. I cannot find a fix mentioned anywhere
even when I just do a google search.
I even tried changing the pointer from C:\ to C:\i386...also tried using
small case c insted of capital C, ...I tried pointing to C:\windows,
C:windows\i386, and even tried using the copy under
C:windows\ServicePackFiles but nothing will stop the dreaded error message I
get to insert the cd-rom.
All I know with certainty is that the sfc worked before sp2 and now it
doesn't.
I posted a question about this before and one response was to check if any
of the core files were compressed. Some were. I have decompressed all files
and still I get the error message to insert the cd-rom.
Before I uninstall sp2, I was hoping to get a response from anyone who may
have another idea.
Thanks very much.
vet
4 answers Last reply
More about xpsp2

    I note you have checked the registry to make sure the string is pointing to
    the correct source path. From a post I found on this subject from MVP Alex
    Nichol, you need to check

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    for the values of ServicePackSourcePath and ServicePackCachePath
    both of which should be C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles

    You might want to check out the above to see if it makes a difference.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having a problem with my system file checker. I did not have a problem
    > with it until after I downloaded XPSP2. I have not noticed any particular
    > problem with my system but I wanted to check the SFC to ensure it works
    > properly. When I ran sfc.exe after I installed XPSP2 I began getting the
    > following message:
    >
    > "files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the
    > dll cache, insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".
    >
    > I have done the following in an effort to correct any problem that I could
    > find listed here:http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    > 1) changed the value of the sourcepath under
    > hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
    > to C:\
    > 2) changed to value of the sourcepath under
    > hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
    > to C:\
    > None of the suggestions listed in the above link will fix the problem. I
    > continue to get the error message to insert the cd. I have the i386 file
    > on
    > the hard drive under c:\ from the original installation so the pointer
    > under
    > the hkey_local_machine set up string is pointing to the correct
    > sourcepath. I
    > am baffled as to what could be wrong. I cannot find a fix mentioned
    > anywhere
    > even when I just do a google search.
    > I even tried changing the pointer from C:\ to C:\i386...also tried using
    > small case c insted of capital C, ...I tried pointing to C:\windows,
    > C:windows\i386, and even tried using the copy under
    > C:windows\ServicePackFiles but nothing will stop the dreaded error message
    > get to insert the cd-rom.
    > All I know with certainty is that the sfc worked before sp2 and now it
    > doesn't.
    > I posted a question about this before and one response was to check if any
    > of the core files were compressed. Some were. I have decompressed all
    > files
    > and still I get the error message to insert the cd-rom.
    > Before I uninstall sp2, I was hoping to get a response from anyone who may
    > have another idea.
    > Thanks very much.
    > vet

    You dont change the source path to C:,thats wrong.You set or change the
    cdrom thats shown in source path to match the letter of the cdrom listed
    in my computer.Also,with the xp cd installed and runnung Sfc /Scannow even
    though that pop-up gets consistantly shown it'll still copy the needed
    files from
    the cd.You might also type in cmd:Sfc /Scannow REVERT

    "1972vet" wrote:

    > I am having a problem with my system file checker. I did not have a problem
    > with it until after I downloaded XPSP2. I have not noticed any particular
    > problem with my system but I wanted to check the SFC to ensure it works
    > properly. When I ran sfc.exe after I installed XPSP2 I began getting the
    > following message:
    >
    > "files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the
    > dll cache, insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".
    >
    > I have done the following in an effort to correct any problem that I could
    > find listed here:http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    > 1) changed the value of the sourcepath under
    > hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
    > to C:\
    > 2) changed to value of the sourcepath under
    > hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
    > to C:\
    > None of the suggestions listed in the above link will fix the problem. I
    > continue to get the error message to insert the cd. I have the i386 file on
    > the hard drive under c:\ from the original installation so the pointer under
    > the hkey_local_machine set up string is pointing to the correct sourcepath. I
    > am baffled as to what could be wrong. I cannot find a fix mentioned anywhere
    > even when I just do a google search.
    > I even tried changing the pointer from C:\ to C:\i386...also tried using
    > small case c insted of capital C, ...I tried pointing to C:\windows,
    > C:windows\i386, and even tried using the copy under
    > C:windows\ServicePackFiles but nothing will stop the dreaded error message I
    > get to insert the cd-rom.
    > All I know with certainty is that the sfc worked before sp2 and now it
    > doesn't.
    > I posted a question about this before and one response was to check if any
    > of the core files were compressed. Some were. I have decompressed all files
    > and still I get the error message to insert the cd-rom.
    > Before I uninstall sp2, I was hoping to get a response from anyone who may
    > have another idea.
    > Thanks very much.
    > vet

    You may need to slipstream SP2 into the I386 folder you created
    on your C drive. Take a look here to find out how that's done.

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

    http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming.htm

    While you're at it you might want to create a bootable XP
    installation CD that has SP2 integrated into it. Sooner or later,
    you're going to need one.

    Nepatsfan
    "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having a problem with my system file checker. I did not
    >have a problem
    > with it until after I downloaded XPSP2. I have not noticed any
    > particular
    > problem with my system but I wanted to check the SFC to ensure
    > it works
    > properly. When I ran sfc.exe after I installed XPSP2 I began
    > getting the
    > following message:
    >
    > "files that are required for windows to run properly must be
    > copied to the
    > dll cache, insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".
    >
    > I have done the following in an effort to correct any problem
    > that I could
    > find listed here:http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    > 1) changed the value of the sourcepath under
    > hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
    > to C:\
    > 2) changed to value of the sourcepath under
    > hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
    > to C:\
    > None of the suggestions listed in the above link will fix the
    > problem. I
    > continue to get the error message to insert the cd. I have the
    > i386 file on
    > the hard drive under c:\ from the original installation so the
    > pointer under
    > the hkey_local_machine set up string is pointing to the correct
    > sourcepath. I
    > am baffled as to what could be wrong. I cannot find a fix
    > mentioned anywhere
    > even when I just do a google search.
    > I even tried changing the pointer from C:\ to C:\i386...also
    > tried using
    > small case c insted of capital C, ...I tried pointing to
    > C:\windows,
    > C:windows\i386, and even tried using the copy under
    > C:windows\ServicePackFiles but nothing will stop the dreaded
    > error message I
    > get to insert the cd-rom.
    > All I know with certainty is that the sfc worked before sp2 and
    > now it
    > doesn't.
    > I posted a question about this before and one response was to
    > check if any
    > of the core files were compressed. Some were. I have
    > decompressed all files
    > and still I get the error message to insert the cd-rom.
    > Before I uninstall sp2, I was hoping to get a response from
    > anyone who may
    > have another idea.
    > Thanks very much.
    > vet

    Did you place the WinXP CD in your default installation drive before issuing the
    command?
    Just a thought.

    "1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am having a problem with my system file checker. I did not have a problem
    > with it until after I downloaded XPSP2. I have not noticed any particular
    > problem with my system but I wanted to check the SFC to ensure it works
    > properly. When I ran sfc.exe after I installed XPSP2 I began getting the
    > following message:
    >
    > "files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the
    > dll cache, insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".
    >
    > I have done the following in an effort to correct any problem that I could
    > find listed here:http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
    > 1) changed the value of the sourcepath under
    > hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
    > to C:\
    > 2) changed to value of the sourcepath under
    > hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
    > to C:\
    > None of the suggestions listed in the above link will fix the problem. I
    > continue to get the error message to insert the cd. I have the i386 file on
    > the hard drive under c:\ from the original installation so the pointer under
    > the hkey_local_machine set up string is pointing to the correct sourcepath. I
    > am baffled as to what could be wrong. I cannot find a fix mentioned anywhere
    > even when I just do a google search.
    > I even tried changing the pointer from C:\ to C:\i386...also tried using
    > small case c insted of capital C, ...I tried pointing to C:\windows,
    > C:windows\i386, and even tried using the copy under
    > C:windows\ServicePackFiles but nothing will stop the dreaded error message I
    > get to insert the cd-rom.
    > All I know with certainty is that the sfc worked before sp2 and now it
    > doesn't.
    > I posted a question about this before and one response was to check if any
    > of the core files were compressed. Some were. I have decompressed all files
    > and still I get the error message to insert the cd-rom.
    > Before I uninstall sp2, I was hoping to get a response from anyone who may
    > have another idea.
    > Thanks very much.
    > vet

Microsoft Windows XP