SFC and XPSP2

December 13, 2004 12:47:04 PM

I am having a problem with my system file checker. I did not have a problem
with it until after I downloaded XPSP2. I have not noticed any particular
problem with my system but I wanted to check the SFC to ensure it works
properly. When I ran sfc.exe after I installed XPSP2 I began getting the
following message:

"files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the
dll cache, insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".

I have done the following in an effort to correct any problem that I could
find listed here:http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
1) changed the value of the sourcepath under
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
to C:\
2) changed to value of the sourcepath under
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
to C:\
None of the suggestions listed in the above link will fix the problem. I
continue to get the error message to insert the cd. I have the i386 file on
the hard drive under c:\ from the original installation so the pointer under
the hkey_local_machine set up string is pointing to the correct sourcepath. I
am baffled as to what could be wrong. I cannot find a fix mentioned anywhere
even when I just do a google search.
I even tried changing the pointer from C:\ to C:\i386...also tried using
small case c insted of capital C, ...I tried pointing to C:\windows,
C:windows\i386, and even tried using the copy under
C:windows\ServicePackFiles but nothing will stop the dreaded error message I
get to insert the cd-rom.
All I know with certainty is that the sfc worked before sp2 and now it
doesn't.
I posted a question about this before and one response was to check if any
of the core files were compressed. Some were. I have decompressed all files
and still I get the error message to insert the cd-rom.
Before I uninstall sp2, I was hoping to get a response from anyone who may
have another idea.
Thanks very much.
vet

More about : sfc xpsp2

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 3:43:38 PM

I note you have checked the registry to make sure the string is pointing to
the correct source path. From a post I found on this subject from MVP Alex
Nichol, you need to check

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
for the values of ServicePackSourcePath and ServicePackCachePath
both of which should be C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles

You might want to check out the above to see if it makes a difference.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem with my system file checker. I did not have a problem
> with it until after I downloaded XPSP2. I have not noticed any particular
> problem with my system but I wanted to check the SFC to ensure it works
> properly. When I ran sfc.exe after I installed XPSP2 I began getting the
> following message:
>
> "files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the
> dll cache, insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".
>
> I have done the following in an effort to correct any problem that I could
> find listed here:http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
> 1) changed the value of the sourcepath under
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
> to C:\
> 2) changed to value of the sourcepath under
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
> to C:\
> None of the suggestions listed in the above link will fix the problem. I
> continue to get the error message to insert the cd. I have the i386 file
> on
> the hard drive under c:\ from the original installation so the pointer
> under
> the hkey_local_machine set up string is pointing to the correct
> sourcepath. I
> am baffled as to what could be wrong. I cannot find a fix mentioned
> anywhere
> even when I just do a google search.
> I even tried changing the pointer from C:\ to C:\i386...also tried using
> small case c insted of capital C, ...I tried pointing to C:\windows,
> C:windows\i386, and even tried using the copy under
> C:windows\ServicePackFiles but nothing will stop the dreaded error message
> get to insert the cd-rom.
> All I know with certainty is that the sfc worked before sp2 and now it
> doesn't.
> I posted a question about this before and one response was to check if any
> of the core files were compressed. Some were. I have decompressed all
> files
> and still I get the error message to insert the cd-rom.
> Before I uninstall sp2, I was hoping to get a response from anyone who may
> have another idea.
> Thanks very much.
> vet
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 6:49:04 PM

You dont change the source path to C:,thats wrong.You set or change the
cdrom thats shown in source path to match the letter of the cdrom listed
in my computer.Also,with the xp cd installed and runnung Sfc /Scannow even
though that pop-up gets consistantly shown it'll still copy the needed
files from
the cd.You might also type in cmd:Sfc /Scannow REVERT

"1972vet" wrote:

> I am having a problem with my system file checker. I did not have a problem
> with it until after I downloaded XPSP2. I have not noticed any particular
> problem with my system but I wanted to check the SFC to ensure it works
> properly. When I ran sfc.exe after I installed XPSP2 I began getting the
> following message:
>
> "files that are required for windows to run properly must be copied to the
> dll cache, insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".
>
> I have done the following in an effort to correct any problem that I could
> find listed here:http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
> 1) changed the value of the sourcepath under
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
> to C:\
> 2) changed to value of the sourcepath under
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
> to C:\
> None of the suggestions listed in the above link will fix the problem. I
> continue to get the error message to insert the cd. I have the i386 file on
> the hard drive under c:\ from the original installation so the pointer under
> the hkey_local_machine set up string is pointing to the correct sourcepath. I
> am baffled as to what could be wrong. I cannot find a fix mentioned anywhere
> even when I just do a google search.
> I even tried changing the pointer from C:\ to C:\i386...also tried using
> small case c insted of capital C, ...I tried pointing to C:\windows,
> C:windows\i386, and even tried using the copy under
> C:windows\ServicePackFiles but nothing will stop the dreaded error message I
> get to insert the cd-rom.
> All I know with certainty is that the sfc worked before sp2 and now it
> doesn't.
> I posted a question about this before and one response was to check if any
> of the core files were compressed. Some were. I have decompressed all files
> and still I get the error message to insert the cd-rom.
> Before I uninstall sp2, I was hoping to get a response from anyone who may
> have another idea.
> Thanks very much.
> vet
December 13, 2004 10:55:47 PM

You may need to slipstream SP2 into the I386 folder you created
on your C drive. Take a look here to find out how that's done.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slip...

http://www.petri.co.il/windows_2000_xp_sp_slipstreaming...

While you're at it you might want to create a bootable XP
installation CD that has SP2 integrated into it. Sooner or later,
you're going to need one.

Nepatsfan
"1972vet" <1972vet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having a problem with my system file checker. I did not
>have a problem
> with it until after I downloaded XPSP2. I have not noticed any
> particular
> problem with my system but I wanted to check the SFC to ensure
> it works
> properly. When I ran sfc.exe after I installed XPSP2 I began
> getting the
> following message:
>
> "files that are required for windows to run properly must be
> copied to the
> dll cache, insert your windows xp professional cd-rom now".
>
> I have done the following in an effort to correct any problem
> that I could
> find listed here:http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
> 1) changed the value of the sourcepath under
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft\windows\currentversion\setup
> to C:\
> 2) changed to value of the sourcepath under
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windowsNT\currentversion
> to C:\
> None of the suggestions listed in the above link will fix the
> problem. I
> continue to get the error message to insert the cd. I have the
> i386 file on
> the hard drive under c:\ from the original installation so the
> pointer under
> the hkey_local_machine set up string is pointing to the correct
> sourcepath. I
> am baffled as to what could be wrong. I cannot find a fix
> mentioned anywhere
> even when I just do a google search.
> I even tried changing the pointer from C:\ to C:\i386...also
> tried using
> small case c insted of capital C, ...I tried pointing to
> C:\windows,
> C:windows\i386, and even tried using the copy under
> C:windows\ServicePackFiles but nothing will stop the dreaded
> error message I
> get to insert the cd-rom.
> All I know with certainty is that the sfc worked before sp2 and
> now it
> doesn't.
> I posted a question about this before and one response was to
> check if any
> of the core files were compressed. Some were. I have
> decompressed all files
> and still I get the error message to insert the cd-rom.
> Before I uninstall sp2, I was hoping to get a response from
> anyone who may
> have another idea.
> Thanks very much.
> vet
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:50:27 PM

Did you place the WinXP CD in your default installation drive before issuing the
command?
Just a thought.

!