Bios - Update or Not to Update That is the Question

chiptouz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Hello,

So what is the deal. Currently, my box is stable with an old bios and I see that new ones are out. I ask tech support if an update is good to do and they say that if you are stable, there is no need to update the bios. I am wondering if I am missing out on some better performance, options, buttons, you know....just something.

What do you guys usually do? Update or not!

{edit for spelling}

Manufacturer's (of boards) don't recommend bios updates. I've toasted 2 bios chips in 14 years of building systems. I'm more cautious now about flashing with any bios program. Unless you have a specific problem, I would play it safe and leave it alone. It also affects your overclocking settings. You can actually end up with fewer adjustments in the new version.

t53186

Distinguished
I have a 975xbx and have tried new bios versions, but keep going back to r1334. I read the release notes and if a fix is reported that I want to try I go for it. Such as support for C2D. But I am still waiting for a final fix for my front panel power led. In 1334 when in S3 the led on. In the past two bios updates it was supposed to blink. Along with S3 not allowing a resume on certain processors. A few other fixes that are needed get implemented, but not all of them yet.

So for me, not overclocking, I read the release notes. If it is something I can use I go for the test. If I don't like it I roll it back. It's easy with Intel express bios update which runs and exe while in windows.

t53186

Distinguished
I have a 975xbx and have tried new bios versions, but keep going back to r1334. I read the release notes and if a fix is reported that I want to try I go for it. Such as support for C2D. But I am still waiting for a final fix for my front panel power led. In 1334 when in S3 the led on. In the past two bios updates it was supposed to blink. Along with S3 not allowing a resume on certain processors. A few other fixes that are needed get implemented, but not all of them yet.

So for me, not overclocking, I read the release notes. If it is something I can use I go for the test. If I don't like it I roll it back. It's easy with Intel express bios update which runs and exe while in windows.

glockman

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I have updated BIOS on many, many home and corporate desktops & servers in over 10 years, never hosed a system. I say if you have a stable system probably leave it - if you are rebuilding a system, why not do it.

smelly_feet

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Unless you have a specific reason to update the bios (such as specific device problems that the bios upgrade will correct) , I wouldnt bother.

I've updated my p5ld2-vm because the bios version it shipped with didnt have proper dual core support. I updated the bios to one that included better support for my d805. I have to admit it did make my system more stable and it booted faster.