What would be your top 3 DVD Burner choices and why?

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I killed my NEC 3520 using it to troubleshoot a defective 5.25" enclosure.

I use CD Speed to do a transfer rate graph for all my DVDs I burn and NEC 35xx's + Ritek 8 DVD+R's have been very good to me.

But rather than just order another NEC I thought I would do a little research.

I would like to narrow my choices down to three and then do a little research on each before buying.

PS I have an unopened 100 pack of Riteck 8x DVD+Rs so I probably don't want a burner that is known to get bad results with this media.

Also I may actually buy three different burners.

I had only the once which I shared via a USB enclosure. No problems as long as I stuck to +R media, -R media seems to have trouble with USB enclosures that vanish when the same burner is used internally?

So I might get one for two of my PCs and one for external use when repairing other peoples systems.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
for me this is the first time time that i read ,
that probaly one drive will have an problem writing
the media from xxx factory.
any burner can write every media,some media suggest user to check for the latest firmware for the drive to be able to write the specific media.
i also use a nec drive which is very good ,
i didn't have any problems writing thousand of dvd's from many manufactures.
as for the format i use dvd-r,because it is said that they are
readable in 97% of desktop dvd's,
and dvd+r are readable in 96% of desktop dvd's.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I bought the first liteon +/- Recorder for about $350, and it could only use half the media avaliable, and only one third of that actually resulted in usable burns.

My next one cost about $100 and I still needed to read reviews because some burners were still crap.

I guess maybe they all work right now that they only cost $30.

People still report problems when reviewing particular media, although all the people with problems could be using old burners.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I like the Sony DRU-820A...best drive I have used so far.

Falcon Northwest uses this drive for there MachV gaming rig also.