Sign in with
Your question

Ultimate Liquid cooling setup

Last response: in Overclocking
November 2, 2006 9:58:28 PM

If money was not an object, what would be the absolute best liquid cooling setup? (that fits with a Thermaltake Armor case) (and ignoring useless components for ram and etc)
November 3, 2006 1:45:13 AM

Are you just looking at water cooling for for sub zero cooling such as phase change and peltiers?
November 3, 2006 2:36:05 AM

Storm G5 Silver base waterblock, DD MCP655 pump, a triple 120mm rad of your choice, 1/2" ID tubing and so on.
Related resources
November 3, 2006 2:40:12 AM

Quote:
Are you just looking at water cooling for for sub zero cooling such as phase change and peltiers?

Phase change and peltiers are not liquid cooling. Liquid cooling is just fine, cuz 20C (room temp) is pretty good enough already.
November 3, 2006 2:40:37 AM

Quote:
Storm G5 Silver base waterblock, DD MCP655 pump, a triple 120mm rad of your choice, 1/2" ID tubing and so on.

Can you gimme some links to those things?
November 3, 2006 3:11:26 AM

For the radiator, you are going to want a ThermoChill PA120.3, maybe two. It's really no contest here.
Link: http://www.thermochill.com/pa1203.php

The Storm G5 is no longer in production, you'll have to settle for either a second hand one (check eBay, failing that XS Forums) or a Storm G4, available from Swiftech, resold at most major liquid cooling stockists.
Alternatively, you could wait for the G7 release, sometime in the coming months, log on to XS Forums and give "Cathar" a PM.
Link: http://www.swiftnets.com/

Regarding pumps, I would suggest you take a look at Petra's shop and grab yourself one of her modified DDCs. Depending on how many blocks you are running in your loop, you might get a second one and hook them up in series, though this will cause additional heat dump into the loop and you would probably also then want to invest in a second radiator (Although with that many blocks to require another pump in series you would want another anyway).
Link: http://www.petrastechshop.com/laddcwpeddto.html

For the tubing, get yourself some 1/2" or 7/16" Tygon tubing, also available from Petra's shop.
Link: http://www.petrastechshop.com/1id3odtyr.html

If you are intending on cooling the chipsets, I'd suggest a Maze4, probably also available from Petra's, although you should really shop around for all these items. Be sure to check motherboard compatability.
Link: http://www.petrastechshop.com/dadenma4chwa.html

For a GPU block, grab yourself a DangerDen Maze5.
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=164...

Reservoirs really depend on your case and other items, and you'll find little difference. If you're feeling really cool, get a Zalman Reserator 2, rip out the pump, and use it as a passively cooled reservoir/radiator in addition to your existing radiators. (Although this wouldn't be good for your flow rate, but hey, you've got 2 pumps in series at this stage)
November 3, 2006 10:20:03 AM

Thanks for info. I've heard some people say that Swiftec MP350 and MP355 are the best pumps. Is this true? And there's not much difference between masterkleer and tygon.
November 3, 2006 2:17:36 PM

Quote:

Phase change and peltiers are not liquid cooling. Liquid cooling is just fine, cuz 20C (room temp) is pretty good enough already.

Right... try to use a peltier without a liquid cooling system....
November 3, 2006 3:10:59 PM

Quote:

Right... try to use a peltier without a liquid cooling system....

easy... Titan Tec Amanda Thermoelectric Cooling
November 3, 2006 3:14:25 PM

if you get a petlier, such as the swiftec one, you will see phenominal results.
BTW, you NEED liquid cooling for petliers, because air would only be able to cool an 18w petlier, and as for the 226w, you would fry your chip if you didn't utilize liquid cooling.
November 3, 2006 3:35:04 PM

Quote:
BTW, you NEED liquid cooling for petliers, because air would only be able to cool an 18w petlier...

the Amanda has 60w Tec in it... Air cooled.
November 3, 2006 4:18:22 PM

Instead of getting triple 120mm Rads, you should go for something much cheaper and much more effective, though you will have to do a bit of your own work. Go down to the automotive shop and get a 6 inch heatercore from them. Then you have to buy a 140mm and up fan to put on it. Then you'll have to build a shroud for the fan, as well as a some 1 inch tall feet to put on it, because it probably won't fit in your case.

A single 6 inch heatercore can beat triple 120mm rads, and cost a hell of a lot less. 31 degrees Celcius load temps for cpu when cooling a very overclocked x850xt and an athlon 64 4200+ that's at 3.1GHz, with fan voltage of 7 volts.
November 3, 2006 4:36:03 PM

Frankly now that the Amanda is out, I dunno why anyone would go liquid for 90% of systems out there. Sure, if you're trying to squeeze the very last Hertz out of your CPU you might wanna go for all the plumbing, but for realistic usage, (I never OCd and never will) the benchmarks I've seen are damn impressive.
November 3, 2006 5:20:28 PM

I went the watercooling route becuase I already had all teh gear...
if i didn't the Amanda is a sweet cooler...
i wonder what would happen if we changed the TEC in it to 80W or 120W?
November 3, 2006 6:36:26 PM

Quote:

What's the Amanda? Is that some girl or sumtin?
November 3, 2006 6:48:02 PM

I don't know about you but that thing is a monster. I'd rather stick a 200w+ peltier under my current water cooling and get better results.

If you are starting from scratch and have the space and don't plan to water cool anything else such as video, nb, ram... etc then the Amanda works well.
November 3, 2006 9:04:09 PM

Quote:
I don't know about you but that thing is a monster. I'd rather stick a 200w+ peltier under my current water cooling and get better results.

If you are starting from scratch and have the space and don't plan to water cool anything else such as video, nb, ram... etc then the Amanda works well.

I plan to liquid cool my cpu and gpu in the future. A fan can cool more than enough for northbridge, and ram heatsinks are fine. So cpu and gpu is all I would ever need to worry about.
November 4, 2006 2:07:54 AM

you cant. The heatsink cannot dissipate the combined heat of your CPU and petlier

if you dont believe me, then search google.
November 4, 2006 7:58:19 AM

Quote:

The first thing of concern, even if you could get it to work by bolting on a bigger heatsink, would be condensation. If you start putting killer peltiers into your system you're gonna start the drip drip drip drip drip of death! :D 
November 4, 2006 4:30:00 PM

Quote:
I plan to liquid cool my cpu and gpu in the future. A fan can cool more than enough for northbridge, and ram heatsinks are fine. So cpu and gpu is all I would ever need to worry about.

I wasn't saying that you needed to water cool the nb and ram or even hdd's just that if you wished to you still need to get everything involved with a water cooling setup and that makes the Amanda superfluous. Get a good water cooling set up for the cpu and gpu then add a peltier. Gettting the Amanda for the cpu and a water cooling set up for the gpu doesn't make sense to me.
November 4, 2006 7:19:48 PM

Quote:
Frankly now that the Amanda is out, I dunno why anyone would go liquid for 90% of systems out there. Sure, if you're trying to squeeze the very last Hertz out of your CPU you might wanna go for all the plumbing, but for realistic usage, (I never OCd and never will) the benchmarks I've seen are damn impressive.

Yes the Titan Tec Amanda has negligible cooling performance vs a normal normal water cooling setup. The thermaltake Typhoon costs half as much and offers almost the same cooling. A 200wat peltier can be found on ebay for $30 and used in conjunction with any choice water cooling setup. ( must use X 2 120MM Radiator at the minimum)
November 5, 2006 7:08:55 PM

Ok, then, a quick question. What about running the WC tubes into a small bar fridge and plunking the 2x120mm Rads in there? They wouldn't freeze as the bar fridge would be set up to keep beverages cool but would they provide a similar cooling effect to a 200W Peltier? Would you have to worry about condensation?
November 5, 2006 9:59:52 PM

Quote:
Ok, then, a quick question. What about running the WC tubes into a small bar fridge and plunking the 2x120mm Rads in there? They wouldn't freeze as the bar fridge would be set up to keep beverages cool but would they provide a similar cooling effect to a 200W Peltier? Would you have to worry about condensation?

I thought this topic was about liquid cooling, not peltier/phase change?
November 6, 2006 12:04:15 AM

As far as I know, the Amanda beats out the Monsoon II. Making it the second best pre-packaged Peltier cooler in a two horse race.
Meanwhile the Freezone isn't very powerful, and the waterblock is terrible. You'd be better off with your own DIY setup with a ~400W TEM. It is hassle free though, which is a big plus.

With the bar fridge idea, depending on how cool you're running the fridge, you will likely need insulation. It's not a very good idea, however; fridges aren't designed for continuous operation, they're designed to chill the inside to ~4c and keep it there, with no significant heat loss. My money would be on the bar fridge failing in a reasonably short time. You'd be better advised moving on to a full size fridge (that has reasonable heat dissipation capability) and putting less strain on the compressor through the judicious use of witchcraft.
November 6, 2006 1:12:10 AM

The Amanda is kind of a turd for a variety of reasons. Sure, it's a big improvement over the stock intel cooler, but what isn't?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/titan-...

As you can see, it barely outperforms a thermaltake big typhoon that's available for far less money. 3C lower, joy! Plus it weighs freakin' two pounds and consumes 60W of power. I'll admit it's kinda cool looking based on sheer hugeness, but other than the gee-whiz factor I don't understand why so many people here are singing its praises.

If youre not worried about power consumption, go for a 220W TEC. You have to liquid cool something that big, there's no way around it. And all of this is off topic anyway.

I like black ice radiators, you need a good fan to get decent airflow through it though. Swiftech pumps are great. I make my own coolant water 70/glycol 30, and I add some Redline Water Wetter to that. I'm not a big fan of the maze blocks, swiftechs are better IMO, results may vary and all that.....
November 6, 2006 1:14:53 AM

Chuck, you owe me a new pair of pants, that was awesome. "Puts out as much heat as a squirrel farting"- I have to find a way to slip that little gem into an everyday conversation.
November 6, 2006 1:19:11 AM

Quote:

Yes, you'd have to worry about condensation on the input lines to the waterblock, and potentially the waterblock itself if your system wasn't producing much heat. You could lag the lines, but it'd be ugly. Plus a fridge would consume more power than a TEC, so really there's not any benefit to the setup you describe.
November 6, 2006 1:57:10 AM

Hahaha, thanks wusy. I think.
November 6, 2006 2:02:19 AM

Dual loop
Dual pump
Dual rad
18 panaflo fans
In a MM U2 UFO

November 6, 2006 9:47:13 AM

k in my opinion, bare in mind i just joined these forums and got back into the whole overclocking/enthusiast scene

i got one word, Koolance

get the 5 pump rack mount ERM-3K4U5 (5 Pumps) and a dual HD cooler, 2 ram coolers, 2 quad Sli coolers, plus a CPU and a mobo cooler

Ram cooler(get 2, LOOKS REALLY REALLY COOL) RAM-30-V06 (RAM)

dual hard drive cooler (great for those WD raptors i heard plus patented something technology makes it sound really sophisticated :oops:  ) HD-55-L06 (HDx2)

quad sli 7950 gx2 cooler is the one, the only VID-400-L06 (Vid) (look at the set up on koolance.com it looks awesome)

now the cpu and mobo cooler, depends what cpu and mobo u got, but for cpu i suggest CPU-305-V10 (CPU) and for mobos i suggest GPU-180-V06 (MB)

k thats my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free, whose sick? u sick for me? :?

k so tell me what u guys think, im seriously thinking of using that set up in my friends gaming rig and his building in january i mean that im building for him

i am basically in love with the water blocks, i might change the pump though maybe a case integrated one, but i need something that can handle all that
November 6, 2006 4:52:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, you'd have to worry about condensation on the input lines to the waterblock, and potentially the waterblock itself if your system wasn't producing much heat. You could lag the lines, but it'd be ugly. Plus a fridge would consume more power than a TEC, so really there's not any benefit to the setup you describe.

The only benefit is that I have a bar fridge right next to my desk! :D 

Actually I am very concerned about the condensation angle, so let's put the kibosh on that one.

Thanks!
November 6, 2006 5:09:31 PM

Quote:
k in my opinion, bare in mind i just joined these forums and got back into the whole overclocking/enthusiast scene

i got one word, Koolance

get the 5 pump rack mount ERM-3K4U5 (5 Pumps) and a dual HD cooler, 2 ram coolers, 2 quad Sli coolers, plus a CPU and a mobo cooler

Ram cooler(get 2, LOOKS REALLY REALLY COOL) RAM-30-V06 (RAM)

dual hard drive cooler (great for those WD raptors i heard plus patented something technology makes it sound really sophisticated :oops:  ) HD-55-L06 (HDx2)

quad sli 7950 gx2 cooler is the one, the only VID-400-L06 (Vid) (look at the set up on koolance.com it looks awesome)

now the cpu and mobo cooler, depends what cpu and mobo u got, but for cpu i suggest CPU-305-V10 (CPU) and for mobos i suggest GPU-180-V06 (MB)

k thats my 10 cents, my 2 cents is free, whose sick? u sick for me? :?

k so tell me what u guys think, im seriously thinking of using that set up in my friends gaming rig and his building in january i mean that im building for him

i am basically in love with the water blocks, i might change the pump though maybe a case integrated one, but i need something that can handle all that

Ok, the ERM is almost 1800 bucks. You can't be serious. No single PC on earth generates 3kW of heat. Ram heatsinks are a waste of time. Touch your RAM. Is it hot? Didn't think so. All that does is restrict flow. Cooling HDD's is also a waste IMO, at least with water. My Raptor's spindle never gets above ~85 F cuz I have a 120mm fan blowing onto it. I DO like the VID-400, looks like its flow-restrictive, but if you use 2 y-connectors and run the two coolers in parallel it should work fine. The swiftech kit uses spacers, which precludes running quad-SLI. Koolance waterblocks look cool, and definately props to them for polishing the contact plate so well, but they're only adequate compared to newer technology. Plus they're really expensive for what you actually get. Koolance is great for those who don't want to tinker too much , but the performance isn't spectacular.
November 6, 2006 5:14:05 PM

Why don't you put your whole freakin' computer in the fridge? Seriously, cut some holes for the cables and use foam to reseal them after you run the cables. Then pack some dessicant around the computer to eliminate the possibility of condensation. You'd have to get an external cd/dvd drive, but those aren't too expensive. But as someone mentioned earlier you'd have to worry about the compressor motor, it's only designed for intermittant running, and may burn itself out in a hurry if it has to run constantly. And if that crapped out temps inside would probably spike in a hurry, so some sort of temperature monitoring-auto shutdown feature would be wise. Hmmmm....
November 7, 2006 12:13:30 AM

Quote:

Ok, the ERM is almost 1800 bucks. You can't be serious. No single PC on earth generates 3kW of heat. Ram heatsinks are a waste of time. Touch your RAM. Is it hot? Didn't think so. All that does is restrict flow. Cooling HDD's is also a waste IMO, at least with water. My Raptor's spindle never gets above ~85 F cuz I have a 120mm fan blowing onto it. I DO like the VID-400, looks like its flow-restrictive, but if you use 2 y-connectors and run the two coolers in parallel it should work fine. The swiftech kit uses spacers, which precludes running quad-SLI. Koolance waterblocks look cool, and definately props to them for polishing the contact plate so well, but they're only adequate compared to newer technology. Plus they're really expensive for what you actually get. Koolance is great for those who don't want to tinker too much , but the performance isn't spectacular.

im dead serious, u might be broke for for my friend and i, a 6G PC with 2k of it on cooling isn't so far fetched, yes there are PCs that generate 3kW of heat, go look at the fastest PC in the world, think it's air cooled of something? now HDD water cooler is not useless, having gone thorugh 4 hard drives, i would know, ur stupid fan might keep yours cool enough for u but water cooling hard drives extends life improves performance and prevents damage, if u were like me, and had your computer running all day with T1 connections downloading multiple files at one point useing multiple applications such as bit torrent and lime wire and bearshare al at once, your hard drive would over heat at some point, BTW ram does over heat when over clocked also ram, just from extended periods of use over heats also, you would need a fully air cooled case for your non over clocked ram to not be in danger of over heating. now as for you dissing koolance, i have yet to this day found a company that produces all these water blocks for a completely water cooled system BTW having half air cooled system, IE HDDs and ram, and half water cooled, VGA and CPU, is much less inefficient then full air cooled and fairly stupid imo, koolance to me is one of the over all best water cooling solutions, expicially when you buy all the products in harmony and they work together simultaneously as intended
November 7, 2006 1:20:37 AM

Quote:

im dead serious, u might be broke for for my friend and i, a 6G PC with 2k of it on cooling isn't so far fetched, yes there are PCs that generate 3kW of heat, go look at the fastest PC in the world, think it's air cooled of something? now HDD water cooler is not useless, having gone thorugh 4 hard drives, i would know, ur stupid fan might keep yours cool enough for u but water cooling hard drives extends life improves performance and prevents damage, if u were like me, and had your computer running all day with T1 connections downloading multiple files at one point useing multiple applications such as bit torrent and lime wire and bearshare al at once, your hard drive would over heat at some point, BTW ram does over heat when over clocked also ram, just from extended periods of use over heats also, you would need a fully air cooled case for your non over clocked ram to not be in danger of over heating. now as for you dissing koolance, i have yet to this day found a company that produces all these water blocks for a completely water cooled system BTW having half air cooled system, IE HDDs and ram, and half water cooled, VGA and CPU, is much less inefficient then full air cooled and fairly stupid imo, koolance to me is one of the over all best water cooling solutions, expicially when you buy all the products in harmony and they work together simultaneously as intended

Alright genius, let's see here. I just can't find it in me to come up with a suitable reply for your post. I'm not saying you can't spend your money on whatever you want, it's just a riduculous waste of good money that could be spent elsewhere and benefit you more , i.e. taking some grammar courses at your local community college.

Where is the fastest PC on earth by the way? I'm assuming you've seen it. Have any specs on it? How much longer does a hard drive that's 3 or 4C cooler last? A day? A month perhaps? And why is my fan stupid, does it spin the wrong way or something? You're right, I, unfortunately, don't have a T1 connection. That must be awesome, you get a whole 44Kbps more than a much cheaper cable connection (a full T1 gets 1.544Kbps, cable on average is 1.5Mbps, you can get higher cable download rates, and it's still way cheaper than a T1)

Shall we continue? Yep, RAM overheats like a big dog. The 667 that I'm running at 800 right now is about as warm as a 2 hour old corpse. Stupid fans must be blowing on it. I wonder why no one makes RAM cooling blocks except for koolance? So how do you fully liquid cool a computer? Immersion I suppose? There's another post on the site concerning that, perhaps your should peruse it at your leisure.

Now, you may notice that I never dissed Koolance, I just said they were expensive and that for less money you can get a much more capable cooling solution. If you look at my sig you'll see, GASP, that one of my computers is actually in a Koolance PC3-725 case with a CPU-305-V10 and a VID-400-NV1! It works just great, and was very easy to put together. It was originally going to be a gift for my little brother, but I kept it and got him components so he could build one on his own. But by all means, don't listen to me, I'm just a poor guy that can't fathom a need to by a 2 thousand dollar cooling solution that's going to have perhaps 20% of its capacity utilized. I've been down so long I don't know what up is like no more. Good luck!
November 8, 2006 3:06:33 AM

Quote:

Alright genius, let's see here. I just can't find it in me to come up with a suitable reply for your post. I'm not saying you can't spend your money on whatever you want, it's just a riduculous waste of good money that could be spent elsewhere and benefit you more , i.e. taking some grammar courses at your local community college.

Where is the fastest PC on earth by the way? I'm assuming you've seen it. Have any specs on it? How much longer does a hard drive that's 3 or 4C cooler last? A day? A month perhaps? And why is my fan stupid, does it spin the wrong way or something? You're right, I, unfortunately, don't have a T1 connection. That must be awesome, you get a whole 44Kbps more than a much cheaper cable connection (a full T1 gets 1.544Kbps, cable on average is 1.5Mbps, you can get higher cable download rates, and it's still way cheaper than a T1)

Shall we continue? Yep, RAM overheats like a big dog. The 667 that I'm running at 800 right now is about as warm as a 2 hour old corpse. Stupid fans must be blowing on it. I wonder why no one makes RAM cooling blocks except for koolance? So how do you fully liquid cool a computer? Immersion I suppose? There's another post on the site concerning that, perhaps your should peruse it at your leisure.

Now, you may notice that I never dissed Koolance, I just said they were expensive and that for less money you can get a much more capable cooling solution. If you look at my sig you'll see, GASP, that one of my computers is actually in a Koolance PC3-725 case with a CPU-305-V10 and a VID-400-NV1! It works just great, and was very easy to put together. It was originally going to be a gift for my little brother, but I kept it and got him components so he could build one on his own. But by all means, don't listen to me, I'm just a poor guy that can't fathom a need to by a 2 thousand dollar cooling solution that's going to have perhaps 20% of its capacity utilized. I've been down so long I don't know what up is like no more. Good luck!

Tell me, why is it that it's so easy for you to make fun of my grammatical mistakes? These are open forums about computer components, I'm not writing a formal essay for an English class or a letter to my congressman. I rarely use correct grammer while responding on forums or writing an email. Do you know why this is? Because, I respond as if i am having a intellectual conversation in person with them. If I had to use complete sentences, and apply all grammer rules I would not go on these forums anymore.

K back to my normal lango, hard drive cooler does not only bring your HD temp down by 3 of 4Cs water transfers heat up to 4 times faster then air. also if you leave your computer on for extend periods with the hard drive working, and u touch the air cooled hard drive u will see ur air cooler is inefficient.

now about ur cable modem... i don't know what kind of cable you have but cable doesn't go 1.5 mpbs... ur dreaming... firstly and secondly if u did your resreach you would see that from the same exact location T1 speeds are twice as fast as cable modem speeds also by the way, maybe for you, your best cable modem download speed was 1.5 mpbs but for me, thats the minimum, i've gotten up to 5 megs

now just because koolance is the only company that makes liquid cooled ram solutions doesn't mean it's a bad idea, im not at home but i just touched PC 2700 ram and it's fairly hot, not even over clocked or high performance, please next time get your facts straight
November 8, 2006 6:39:08 AM

Quote:
Why don't you put your whole freakin' computer in the fridge? Seriously, cut some holes for the cables and use foam to reseal them after you run the cables. Then pack some dessicant around the computer to eliminate the possibility of condensation. You'd have to get an external cd/dvd drive, but those aren't too expensive. But as someone mentioned earlier you'd have to worry about the compressor motor, it's only designed for intermittant running, and may burn itself out in a hurry if it has to run constantly. And if that crapped out temps inside would probably spike in a hurry, so some sort of temperature monitoring-auto shutdown feature would be wise. Hmmmm....

Actually I had a friend decide to mod the system his company gave him and did just that. However, he didn't put any dessiccant around the mobo. He should have packed it in a few kilograms of silica gel, as there were drops just dripping down the mobo and shorted the whole damn thing out. He had to go through hell to find the exact same mobo, CPU etc. to replace or he would have lost his job!

Nah, I'm not puttin' the PC in the fridge. The best setup I've used is to duct Window AC air right into case. Works incredibly well, but it's noisier than a 747 on takeoff and drives you nuts after a while. Not to mention that it doesn't work if exterior temp is lower than the room temp.
!