fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I just recently got 2 seagate 7200.10 i am trying to setup raid 0. I am in the middle of tryin to set it up as i type. The problem is i have a p5n32-sli se board and when i set it up it does not give me the option of setting the raid array to boot (or should i even have to these are the only drives on the computer?) second it shows me having near 500gig (the drives are 250g) shouldn't it only show 250gig with a raid 0? plz any help

Mondoman

Splendid
Look up RAID 0 vs. RAID 1 again (RAID 0 splits data between your two drives, so total storage space is double that of a single drive, but no redundancy if either drive fails; RAID 1 "mirrors" one drive onto the other, so if one drive fails, all data is still present on the 2nd drive - usable space is only one drive's worth).

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... most time you need to set up raid from within your system bios... from there you should be able to set it to raid 0, raid 1, raid 0+1, or jbod... and you can then install windows onto the raid array if you wanted to

but, you should need to configure raid as a boot array either way, if you want to boot from it

just doing raid from within windows though, you have to have a boot hdd for windows to run from, and 2 additional hdds to work with in windows, so you can set those 2 additional hdds up in a seperate raid array

RyanMicah

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Some mobo's require you to hit another function key during post to go into a raid setup menu. You may also need to use a CD that came with your motherboard to install raid drivers. When you're booting, look carefully at your post screens as they change or scroll. The key is probably there, hiding. Try hitting various function keys during boot if all else fails. There should be a raid setup utility, it's usually AFTER the post for bios entrance, but before it tries to find an OS.