Buy a Pre-Overclocked PC

Other than www.overdrivepc.com, what are some of the other places you can buy a pre-overclocked complete system (not just components)?
25 answers Last reply
More about overclocked
  1. Monarch Computers, Falcon Northwest, many lesser known companies that hopefully others will point out. I know Compaq is coming soon with a preoverclocked lineup.
  2. Pre-overclocked systems comes a bit more expensive. They usually charge a bit more for the overclocking charges.

I recommend you to buy up the components, build them up, and overclock them yourself. All you need to do is read a couple articles to learn how to do so. Trust me, it's fun doing so, and you'd definitely achieve much better overclock, as you'd try to milk every single MHz out of your system. :)
  3. Quote:
    Pre-overclocked systems comes a bit more expensive. They usually charge a bit more for the overclocking charges.

I recommend you to buy up the components, build them up, and overclock them yourself. All you need to do is read a couple articles to learn how to do so. Trust me, it's fun doing so, and you'd definitely achieve much better overclock, as you'd try to milk every single MHz out of your system. :)

I would love to do so, but I have 3% of my vision, which makes building a PC myself not something I am comfortable doing. What I would like to do is have one built to my specifications that, of course, has proper cooling in place for the overclocking. I completely expect to pay a bit extra.
  4. Hmm ... or you could buy the parts, get someone to put them together, then you overclock them yourself.

I assume your vision isn't that bad, since you could still read this forum, and reply to it. :)

So I believe your condition isn't as bad as you think it is. :P

Be positive ...
  5. As far as the software side, I can overclock it myself with no problem. Just getting someone to put it together is what I need done. I do not have someone here locally I can trust for this, and a warranty might come in handy at some point in the future.

I could have asked this instead: "Which system builder do you all recommend that offer options that would sufficiently cool a system for good overclocking?"

...but, the problem with that is, the level of overclocking/cooling match. So, I thought it best to find system builders that do overclocking as part of their business. That way, they are experienced with it, know very well what works the best and which options to use for a given effect, etc., and then choose between them based on the offerings.
  6. Falcon Northwest has a good reputation, been around for quite a few years, and offer quite good warranties.

ABS computers also has a good reputation, but I think a shorter warranty and less longevity in the business.

alienware seems to have its ups n' downs, I'd probably avoid them. (now owned by Dell)

I personally plan on looking more thoroughly into a Falcon later next year.

Good luck....
  7. Quote:
    Falcon Northwest has a good reputation, been around for quite a few years, and offer quite good warranties.

ABS computers also has a good reputation, but I think a shorter warranty and less longevity in the business.

alienware seems to have its ups n' downs, I'd probably avoid them. (now owned by Dell)

I personally plan on looking more thoroughly into a Falcon later next year.

Good luck....

Thanks much for the feedback. Those are some I am also considering. Like you, I am not very interested in Alienware because of what you stated and also because their customization is much more limited than others. Falcon Northwest seems to overclock their systems, but they do not actually say the overclocked numbers. So, it makes it difficult to judge their option. I do know they are highly rated and build very reliable systems. They are quite expensive, though. I do not know as much about ABS. I will be looking into them more too.
  8. Most pre-built systems offered are usually bad with overclocking. Their motherboard, RAM, cooling are usually just sufficient just to work at stock ratings.

My buddy bought a system from ABS 2-3 years ago, he chose all the parts individually, where he could choose which mobo/ram/cpu/hsf etc etc ... so you might be able to check them out?

By the way, where ya from?
  9. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm from North Carolina.
  10. jebus i remembre when the whole point of overclocking was so you DIDNT have to spend extra money...
  11. That is not always true. Falcon Northwest builds some of the best machines on the market. There computers have hit record high scores several times in the past. Also record high in price sometimes too. But they build with high quality products and such. Very Very good computers i have played on a few in my lifetime and they are some seriously nice machines. They come test and benchmarked before you get them and have wire management done to them. I would recommend them first to anyone wanting a serious gaming rig that they don't want to build
  12. Falcon's prices are frakin' outrageous. Yeah, nice pc's, but sheesh. I didn't know they were OC'd either, but damn that's a lot of money. ABS has decent prices, but again, didn't know they OC'd for you.
  13. Where do find those articles on how to overclock.
  14. there's a forum here at tom's on overclocking, and another site worth checking out is overclockers workbench - - check out the "extreme overclocking" forum, even if you don't plan on getting extreme, as well as manufacturer specific forums as well.
  15. There are guides all over the places. Do a google on "how to overclock", and you would find a lot of them.

There are some nice guides on this forum by wusy, it's stickied over at the overclocking's forum. Besides, staying active at the overclocking forum and asking questions would get you starting with a lot of stuffs, learning more than what you'd do reading articles alone ...
  16. personally i think if you have the money to chuck at it and little or no practical experience there is a lot to be said for buying a pre-overclocked system.

the operative statement here is UNDER WARRANTY. if the oc fries your components its someone elses problem!

having said that i'd never pay for the privilege
  17. Quote:
    jebus i remembre when the whole point of overclocking was so you DIDNT have to spend extra money...

Aside from the extra money you have to spend on a heatsink that will be able to handle the over clock or the water cooling unit. the ram that can handle hte over clock a mobo that will let you get more out of over clocking a case that can support the air flow needed for over clocking. In the end you spend a premium for over clocking its almost more worth it (it is IMO) to just buy the faster cpu. Some of it can be transfered to a new system later course by that time something better will have come out.
  18. Quote:
    Falcon's prices are frakin' outrageous. Yeah, nice pc's, but sheesh. I didn't know they were OC'd either, but damn that's a lot of money. ABS has decent prices, but again, didn't know they OC'd for you.

Falcon is expensive. I think you pay extra for overclocking. There's a lot of experience people here in this forum. Would love building PCs.
    I live in the Balt-DC area. Anyone, who has lot of building experience, want to help me build a monster gaming machine? It would be nice if there was a stickey, maybe there is, of people who like to make some extra money building custom PCs. The stickey - would give there
    geographical area, experience, if they do water cooling, blah. blah.

It's a win-win for everybody. I win because I can help/learn/build the PC from my spec. - get all the thrills of building it. Because I want to be part
    of it. -

And they win - because they're making extra cash and doing something they love to do. Maybe, I should make this a separate thread?
  19. Quote:
    In the end you spend a premium for over clocking its almost more worth it (it is IMO) to just buy the faster cpu. Some of it can be transfered to a new system later course by that time something better will have come out.

i agree whole heartedly, a water cooled super system in a £300.00 alu case is a false economy.

overclock when you're struggling to play the latest games, as a way to bridge the gap before the next upgrade. im planning to replace my 3500+ soon enough but not before i've squeezed the last few mhz out on stock cooling.
  20. Grizely1, yeah overclocking is a potential money saver and a fun project. But, for beginners it can be intimidating, especially if you're not rich (can't afford to experiment and burn out components). True, there are guides, but it's time-consuming and there is still plenty of room for errors while you try to figure out the limits of your particular build. So, I think there's nothing wrong with wanting pre-overclocked PC from a reputable company (getting a warranty is a definite plus).

mystikmedia, I don't know what your budget is, but if price is not a huge concern, you can also consider VoodooPC. They've just introduced a Quadcore PC.
  21. why do you want a pre-overclocked system and don't simply buy the best there is out there? If you get a x6800 or 6700 you can't go wrong and wont need overclocking.
  22. The goal is to get the best performance possible. I have decided to go with GamePC...
  23. im thinking about when i build my friends ultimate PC in january, water cooled, 6000 dollar limit etc etc... i will post pictures and intructions on how i made it and hopefully get some feedback from you guys when i build my PC in summer DDR3 quad core extreme pcie 2.0 etc etc i will also post up some pictures and instructions, hopefully they will become stickies 8O
  24. I would definitely help you do it for some extra cash. But I'm from Ames, Iowa ... Midwest ... XD
  25. TBH it's pretty hard to burn out a CPU these days. kids now have it easy compared, man...
Ask a new question

Read More

Components Overclocking Product