Networking any USB scanner

Can you set up a basic USB scanner to be accessable to all users on a small
network (XP) or is additional software/cost involved? I have a Umax Astra
1220P which should, in theory, be networkable using the custom driver
install option but that is more troublesome than it first appears (as is a
basic installation with XP anyway). A replacement USB unit might be in order
and it would be good to know if they can be networked with ease.

cheers,

Binky.
2 answers Last reply
More about networking scanner

    On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:53:18 GMT, "MJS" <binky@binkyworld.com> wrote:

    >Can you set up a basic USB scanner to be accessable to all users on a small
    >network (XP) or is additional software/cost involved? I have a Umax Astra
    >1220P which should, in theory, be networkable using the custom driver
    >install option but that is more troublesome than it first appears (as is a
    >basic installation with XP anyway). A replacement USB unit might be in order
    >and it would be good to know if they can be networked with ease.

    First, I have to ask, Why?

    The scanner is going to need to connect to a computer.
    Scanners, unlike printers require direct attention.
    If you have to be there, why install the controlling software on
    multiple computers unless the computers are all close together.

    On mine I set the software to save to a particular computer. After
    that it will <scan to> from the menu. This can be set up to work fine
    for documents, but generally you have to select the area to scan. My
    flat bed is legal size and most docs are regular size to even small.
    That means I have to be at the controlling computer during the scan.

    If my wife wants to scan something it's far easier to come in here, so
    the selection process, cropping, and scan than it would be from her
    office. It still saves to her computer.

    (N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
    www.rogerhalstead.com

    "Roger" <Delete-Invallid.stuff.groups@tm.net> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 22:53:18 GMT, "MJS" <binky@binkyworld.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Can you set up a basic USB scanner to be accessable to all users on a
    >>small
    >>network (XP) or is additional software/cost involved? I have a Umax Astra
    >>1220P which should, in theory, be networkable using the custom driver
    >>install option but that is more troublesome than it first appears (as is a
    >>basic installation with XP anyway). A replacement USB unit might be in
    >>order
    >>and it would be good to know if they can be networked with ease.
    >
    > First, I have to ask, Why?
    >
    > The scanner is going to need to connect to a computer.
    > Scanners, unlike printers require direct attention.
    > If you have to be there, why install the controlling software on
    > multiple computers .......................
    ****unless the computers are all close together.****

    Bingo!

Scanners Windows XP USB Basic Peripherals