mandrake 9.1 and Windows XP networking

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I want to share a folder using samba server on linux so that my XP machine
will be able to write and read files on that machine.. I will be using it as
a file server.

I have Samba up and running on the Mandrake 9.1 machine and I can see in the
windows xp network a new workgroup called MDKgroup and when I open that I
see a computer thats name is
SMABA SERVER 2.2.7a (localhost).

Does anyone know what I have to do to create the correct permissions for xp
tp be able to browse a folder, and
how to share a folder in mandrake?

If anyone can help in simple step by step instrunctions it would be great
because I dont know much about linux.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Kenny S
http://www.computerboom.net
FREE programs and MORE!

---

Malke

Kenny S wrote:

> I want to share a folder using samba server on linux so that my XP
> machine will be able to write and read files on that machine.. I will
> be using it as a file server.
>
> I have Samba up and running on the Mandrake 9.1 machine and I can see
> in the windows xp network a new workgroup called MDKgroup and when I
> open that I see a computer thats name is
> SMABA SERVER 2.2.7a (localhost).
>
> Does anyone know what I have to do to create the correct permissions
> for xp tp be able to browse a folder, and
> how to share a folder in mandrake?
>
> If anyone can help in simple step by step instrunctions it would be
> great because I dont know much about linux.

man samba

Or go to the official Samba site, here:

http://www.samba.org/

You can also use SWAT or Webmin if you need a gui instead of
hand-editing the samba.config file, although I'm sure Mandrake has a
gui-based configuration tool built-in. I just don't know what it is
since I haven't used Mandrake for years.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers