Question regarding Scrolling Marquee on old Tom's Hardware (US) home

Ombudsman

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
So, the overwhelming comment so far is about the scrolling marquee on the homepage.

I have a question:

I'm guessing that the primary point of the request is the ability to get a quick overview of recent and active posts on the Tom's Hardware forums.

Is this the case?

Is there anything special about the fact that it scrolls? Or is that good for fitting more posts in the position.

If I'm completely wrong here, let me know.

andyinlondon

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
it was not the scrolling per say but the number of posts visible.
now you can only see 10 posts at the most.
when it scrolled there were at least 20 so the overview was broader and more likely to have something that interested you.
and that ment it was more likely you would visit the forum as a result.

If you want it to look like the main site, can you just have it work like the latest news section.

IMO its just about how few topics that are shown right now. so lets say the top 30-40 active threads over 3-4 mini pages like the Latest News would be fine by me.

chiadog

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
Touche on the number of posts.
Just another note. For us Opera users, mousing over the marquee didn't stop the scrolling on the old pages. If it is brought back, please ensure that Opera is tested :)

Another vote to bring back the scrolling forums. This was a huge issue when it was removed after the last web site changes.
People like the scrolling forums thing and they are going to let you know about it.

This is not rocket science.
It doesn't need explaining, or reasoning, or analyzing, just put it back the way it was and everyone will be happy.

By the way, does anyone else have problems with the site being really, really, really slow?
Articles, forums, everything just seems to crawl sometimes requiring me to reload a page 4 or 5 times to get it all.
I am on cable, and have no problems with most other sites or links.
My speed always tests good, and downloads usually range between 768KB to 2.0mb per second depending on the time of day and place.