GIRL NEEDS HELP!

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Sorry for the title, but I'm in a jam! I ordered the Thermaltake Silent Water a few weeks ago and hooked it up. Well, my case wouldn't cooperate with it, therefore, I ordered the Scythe Ninja. In the process of removing the thermaltake silent water, I was in the process of trying to remove the bracket on the back of the motherboard, but it won't come off. In the directions, it said to use the double sided tape to connect the bracket to the motherboard. Ok, well, I don't think they thought about what if you want to remove it. Any suggestions?! I can't really use a wedge, seeing as there's foam between the metal bracket and the motherboard, therefore, a wedge won't really help and it sort of bends the motherboard.

I NEED SOME SUGGESTIONS!!!

SHv2

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2006
sounds similar to the stupid bracket on my heatsink. If it's the same it will come off just with a lot of careful and painful prying.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Try using some heat from a hair dryer or something, it may loosen up the adhesive that was used.

Don't use the double sided tape in the future, you don't really need it.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Thanks guys. Once again, sorry about the title. But I knew if I posted it like that, more people would view it. Anyways, I got it off, most of it. I used a knife to cut through the black stuff and then once I got the stupid medal piece off, spent an hour peeling the rest of the crap off the motherboard. As of now, I'm typing on the computer that I just replaced the heatsink on and everything works cooler than ever :p .

Note: It really does lower temps if you remove the gunk on the north and south bridge that ASUS used! My sb temp dropped from 41C to 33C idle. Not sure on load.

I will update later when I get a chance to benchmark and post a new thread about it. Once again, thanks

DON'T USE DOUBLE SIDED TAPE ON MOTHERBOARDS, REGARDLESS IF IT COMES WITH THE MOUNTING KIT! YOU'LL BE IN PAIN IF YOU EVER DECIDE TO CHANGE COOLERS AND NOT NEED THE BRACKET ANYMORE! -EURASIANMAN

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
THERE'S A BACKPLATE FOR THE SCYTHE NINJA REV B?! :?: :?: :?:

er, mine didn't come with one, at least there wasn't one in the box. Second off, WTH DO THEY MAKE YOU TAPE A BACKPLATE TO THE MOBO?! Why can't we just put it on, and then put some screws in on the other side to have it hold it to the motherboard?! Seriously, wan'ts the point of tape? So that it'll get you to stick with the manufacturer's prodcut?! :evil:

I'm sorry, but that just makes me pissed! Now I have to fine a new method of using the thermaltake Silent water for a computer that doesn't have thermal management already, if that makes sense... :?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I almost expected a girl when I read the topic, but the minute I saw your name with a man at the end, I was like B.S.

Anyways, looks like your problem is solved. And one of the reasons they have foam tape is to make sure the backplate doesn't touch any metal shorting out your mobo.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Actually, it did. It still doesn't make sense though. wth would they make it to where you can't remove the bracket?! I guess it's a way of them saying, "Thank you for buying our product. I hope you enjoy it until you upgrade your computer again. Make note: Once plate is installed, you can not remove it. All are products are not for resale. :p " This is how I see Thermaltake thanking me for my purchase :evil:

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
*sighs*

I guess I should have asked you before applying the Silent Water. Well, I got most of the tape crap off. Just a little bit left, but I already installed the Scythe Ninja and dont' feel like unpluggin the mobo and taking it back out of the case. But thank you for the info. I'll remember that next time :wink: