Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BUY.COM scam - BEWARE!!!

Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
August 8, 2008 4:33:37 AM

BUY.COM is partnering with Reservation Rewards.

This company will AUTOMATICALLY begin to debit your credit card for $12 per month. You will receive emails from the email address you supplied buy.com (I assumed they were spam).

There is a class action lawsuit you can join if you have already been charged.

DO NOT BUY FROM BUY.COM. Go to Newegg instead.

I feel violated that I attempted to provide a company with my business and instead they sent my credit card information to a third party which automatically signed me up and began charging my credit card $12 a month.

Disgusting BUY.com - NEVER AGAIN.

More about : buy scam beware

August 11, 2008 8:48:54 PM

I have already 4 months ago got my money back!
August 14, 2008 9:20:10 PM

i just bought a 1000w psu from buy.com via ebay for $235 shipped... its $240 after rebate from newegg.

i buy 90% of my stuff from newegg though.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 22, 2008 4:53:47 AM

thatz weird, how can them charge without your knowledge, you can just call your credit card company and dispute and you should get back your money in seconds.
January 5, 2009 3:46:37 PM

MY EXPERIENCE....

Exerpt from Buy.com's privacy policy:
"At Buy.com, your privacy is a top priority. Please read our privacy policy details."
then (after pages and pages....at the very very bottom....
"Except as limited below, we reserve the right to use or disclose your personally identifiable information for business reasons in whatever manner desired"

How can you have privacy as a priority and give it away at the same time??

Third party affiliates have apparently signed me up for “Shoppers Discount” on my Credit card after I made a purchase from your website. This business does not notify the new member of being registered or anything about their business….rather one findsout after reviewing one’s statement.
Because of Buy.coms associations with these third parties and passing along my credit information, I feel it has been jeopardized.

I will not do any further business with this company. I am saddened a company like this would allow this to happen to customers. And I cannot believe I am an isolated incident. You are perpetrating this by your actions and carefully worded privacy clauses …..check out clause #10 of their privacy policy. Sad way to do business.
January 9, 2009 11:57:12 AM

I'm sure before you got charged you probably checked some option. I'm always buying things from buy.com and I personally trust this established retailer. Hey such scams can happen anywhere, it's probably a rare occurance or mistake if it's true.

HOWEVER, I once got a monitor with one dead pixel, buy.com replaced it, no questions asked. I didn't pay a cent for shipping. Try that at Newegg, they have the worst return policy, they never ever pay for return shipping.
January 15, 2009 11:10:36 AM

Dear Forum Members:

Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate and to identify opportunities to assist our members. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted on this forum.

We would like to assist you but do not have your contact information. If you want to cancel your membership or have any questions regarding your membership to Reservation Rewards please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at either 1-800-732-7031 or send an email message to consumeraffairs@webloyalty.com. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,
Mary O'Reilly
Webloyalty Consumer Affairs
Reservation Rewards
January 28, 2009 1:31:58 AM

It is my OPINION that Webloyalty knows fully their reputation is poor. Do a quick google search for Reservation Rewards, I cannot begin to explain the extent of complaints. I FEEL standard form letter responses with wording like, protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate, is meant as a scare tactic.
February 28, 2009 6:40:42 PM

Pretty funny. Reservation rewards work like a monthly payment that charges you very discreetly. They have multiple sites where if you buy from they get your credit information where they charge you and after you realize your being charged 12$ or more monthly you decide to call them.

Reservation rewards: "We make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR on when you register to join our membership". (F*** that!!!)

Me: "Look I already know you guys as scammers so what I want know is my money back".

RR: "Yes...uhm....sorry. I'll remove the charges to your account right now........and all charges have been removed for the past 6 months along with your membership status".

Me: "Thank you. Goodbye."

Well I think I took that pretty well. I wish everyone would just CUSS their stupid ass services and give them hell!!!

I actually regret not doing that!!!

Oh yeah I think they do this sorta the way like how banks make money by borrowing your money in your savings account. This is why they do this and why they have no problem at all giving your money back.

ON a side note: Try investigating them a little and you'll find that most of these guys ARE affiliated with banks!!!
March 17, 2009 10:26:25 AM

I was also a fan of buy.com and purchased so many items from them. But to be frank, I am sad because of their irresponsible activity of giving the Credit card Info and personal details of their customers to a third party fraud company (Shopper's Discount) for grabbing $12 every month from the credit card.
As the amount is not so high, I noticed this scam in the third month and I informed my Bank and waiting for their action. I know that my money is gone, and I am scared of buying items through internet.
May 28, 2009 1:46:25 PM

Buy.Com also partners with Shoppers Discount and Rewards who charges your credit card to the tujne of $10/month. Avoid Buy.Com, a random choice might be better than a sure scam.
October 6, 2009 11:49:50 PM

On 6/30/09 I ordered something from Buy.com. and sometime in July I started getting a $12.00 charge on my credit card. I did not pick this up until today and I called Shoppers Discount company and they were telling me about my membership, yes that's right, the very one I did not sign up for. They mentioned they were partnering or something like that with Buy.com. I was furious and demanded that they refund all the money they charged me and they said they would. I also called American Express and told them to put the money back. If Shoppers discount actually credits our account in 3-5 days like promised, Amex can have it.
Be aware of coupuns during check out, I think that is how they got me as well.
Shoppers Discount is a scam, I wonder how many people do not realize and just cancel there membership after forking over 12,24 or more dollars.
Will be reporting to CT BBB, DCA, and attorney general.
JP
Anonymous
October 11, 2009 4:10:48 PM

Buy.com is my favorite online store. I puchased many things from them. But they passed my credit card information not once but twice. The first one went to shopperdiscount(SD) then then the 2nd time went to completesaving(CS). Both SD and CS are part of Webloyality, which has been the targets of thousands of complaints to BBB, investigations. I have managed to get $144 back but I am still fighting Webloyalty to get the rest of $48 back.

People need to know that BUY.COM is in the SCAM with Webloyality. They have contracted with webloyality and they are receiving revenuse from the scam. I have decided not to purchase from BUY.com even I am 100% happy with all my previous purchase.

Also, don't believe what webloyality said regarding addressing your issue. What they will do is to refund you one month fee, then two months, then six months, and then want you to sign affidavit.... They have been in this business for so long and they are so good at stealing your money and make it looks legal. I really hope the Congressional Investigation can complete stop these company.
Anonymous
October 25, 2009 2:51:40 PM

I wasn't paying attention to my credit card account and found 4 charges for $12/per month from Shopperdiscountsandawards.com. When I called they told me I clicked on some $10 rebate when I purchased something from Buy.com which activated a $12/per month subscription. I do not remember clicking on any such thing and never received an email unless it was filtered to spam. They canceled the subscription and I made it clear to them I wanted all the money ($48) credited back to my account. I then called my credit card company and had my card canceled and they have taken the charges off due to fraud. I am very disappointed in Buy.com and will not purchase anything from them again.
December 7, 2009 6:47:58 PM

Buy.com Chase Visa enrolled me into paperless billing, and one of the two companys have been making minimum payments on the Card late every month for a year just to keep it open. In doing so, they have charged me 29.9% interest and a $39 late fee for over a year. I contacted my bank and they verified that no monies from my account have gone to pay them. I have never gotten an e-mail about a balance, so my credit is now messed up, and I have close to a $1000 balance that I have not known about. Chase refused to help, except get rid of three late fees. Time to call the Attorney General, the BBB, and my lawyer.
April 13, 2010 2:28:11 PM

WOW what a scam, just realized 6 MONTHS of 12$ charges on my company card from shoppers discounts and rewards for a purchase that I made from buy.com for 90$ I have now spent 72$ on this SCAM! I called SD&R and they will refund me 12$ but not the 60$, I called buy.com and put in a formal complaint, but I know that is useless. I want to do a charge back from Mastercard if I can but it's a company card and I'm not the signing name on this. I'm furious NEVER AGAIN BUY.com!!
April 14, 2010 1:57:48 AM

Thanks people - good information. I am glad I checked this thread!
May 2, 2010 12:42:57 PM

Hey guys, Just wondering if any of you have notice a major increase in spam since canceling your SD accounts? After a very ugly conversation with SD I got a full refund. But I had to promise to cause as much trouble as I possibly could before I got it all back. Then a couple day later I started getting bombed with spam. Then the phone calls started. People calling trying to sell me various things. The scary part was when I started asking questions and found out these people all had my credit card info. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure SD sold it to them.
May 2, 2010 12:56:50 PM

BEWARE
You'll see someone like this person on just about all forums about Shoppers Discounts. They pretend to be your Average
Joe Poster, When in fact they are searching the web trying to do damage control. Call them out whenever you come across one.
May 15, 2010 10:22:13 AM

Thanks folks! Glad to see that people are vigilant and alert others. Scams are getting more sophisticated, and scammers are getting bolder these days.
May 18, 2010 6:27:24 AM

Webloyalty said:
Dear Forum Members:

Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate and to identify opportunities to assist our members. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted on this forum.

We would like to assist you but do not have your contact information. If you want to cancel your membership or have any questions regarding your membership to Reservation Rewards please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at either 1-800-732-7031 or send an email message to consumeraffairs@webloyalty.com. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,
Mary O'Reilly
Webloyalty Consumer Affairs
Reservation Rewards

Shame On You Mary O'Reilly. How do you look at yourself in the mirror every morning.

Below are a couple of links to news events related to this issue that I think the readers here might find encouraging to know that someone out there is trying to do away with this Arrogant Thief. Or at least, Slow him down.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/33987109#339871...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33979016#339790...
May 19, 2010 10:00:33 AM

VJ Dave, thanks for your excellent post! Good info on the MSNBC links!

I like to share my system for avoiding clandestine charges on my credit card. I have utilized this system for over 10 years and it has worked flawlessly. Here it is:

1. I use Bank of America's credit card (also has a Worldpoints rewards system) and online banking.

2. After signing on to the online banking website, I choose the credit card account (other savings, checking, brokerage, etc. can be consolidated on the Account).

3. When the credit card account is displayed, and I want to make an online purchase with some reputable merchant, I choose a feature called "SHOP SAFE" and click on it.

4. Another window opens and asks me to set a $ limit as well as an expiration period between 2 months and 12 months.

5. I set the $ limit to $1 above my intended purchase amount, and the expiration to 2 months (the minimum period).

6. Then I click on "Generate number"

7. A new temporary credit card number is generated and displayed with the $ amount and expiration I set. There is also a new CVC2 security code on this new number.

8. I use this credit card number for the online purchase.

9. Periodically (monthly or more often) I open this "Shop Safe" feature, view all active Shop Safe numbers, and delete the ones whose transactions are complete, and the ones that I want to cancel.

This system has worked well for me for over 10 years, and I started using Shop Safe when I opened a credit card account with MBNA which was bought over by Bank of America a few years ago.

I highly recommend this Shop Safe feature. I also wish to disclose that I have NO financial interest, and I am NOT a stock holder or employee of Bank of America, and I have NOT received and do not anticipate to receive any compensation from any party whatsoever for this post.

Hope this helps!
July 1, 2010 8:37:51 AM

Nope, Sorry RandR,

You can't make me believe Shoppers Discounts and Rewards isn't a scam. There are too many people out there getting burned by these jerks. There are thousands of people out there being ripped off by Shoppers Discounts and Rewards. Many of them are not even aware of it yet. This is not just going on in the USA. They are doing this same scam in countries all over the world. Now imagine the millions of dollars Shoppers Discounts and Rewards is stealing from all those people, being invested, or just sitting in a bank colleting interest. !!!!FREE MONEY!!!! Even if they end up paying all the money they stole back, they will still have a hefty chunk of change left in their pockets.

I'm glad they are good for you. But the truth is, Shoppers Discounts and Rewards is purposely deceptive for a reason $$$$$$$$$$$$$.
July 1, 2010 11:46:14 AM

VJ Dave said:
Nope, Sorry RandR,

You can't make me believe Shoppers Discounts and Rewards isn't a scam. There are too many people out there getting burned by these jerks. There are thousands of people out there being ripped off by Shoppers Discounts and Rewards. Many of them are not even aware of it yet. This is not just going on in the USA. They are doing this same scam in countries all over the world. Now imagine the millions of dollars Shoppers Discounts and Rewards is stealing from all those people, being invested, or just sitting in a bank colleting interest. !!!!FREE MONEY!!!! Even if they end up paying all the money they stole back, they will still have a hefty chunk of change left in their pockets.

I'm glad they are good for you. But the truth is, Shoppers Discounts and Rewards is purposely deceptive for a reason $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

We don't know who RandR is or what the motivation is for defending Shoppers Discounts and Rewards. At best, Shoppers Discounts and Rewards is a shady outfit. I am glad that readers here consider Shoppers Discounts and Rewards to be a scam.

Companies do not get rich by giving away discounts and rewards, and all "discounts and rewards" should NOT be buried somewhere in the fine print!
July 2, 2010 5:52:02 PM

Well, first off, I can assure you that I have no relationship with SD&R other than being a satisfied customer. But, just because a lot of people are upset they signed up for this, that still doesn't make it a scam. Frankly, I just don't have a lot of sympathy for people who are upset over the fact that they signed up for a very valuable service, if only they would learn about what it really is before complaining. Further, I have re-read the sign up page, which you can do again here:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/.a/6a00d83451e0d569e20...

and while I admit there is a lot of text on it. The fact that you are signing up for a service with a 30 day free trial that will then cost $12 a month is in BOLD on the page, in the first paragraph. The $12 fee is also prominent in the sunburst bubble on the page. And, even the "coupon" at the top of the page says, "Get $10 off your next order for trying Shoppers Discounts and Rewards" It is not hidden in tiny print, and should be obvious to anyone who reads even the slightest bit of the content that it is a service with a fee. I think the problem here is that so many people are just used to clicking "I agree to terms" check boxes on the web without ever reading even a single word of the terms that they think it is the company's fault whenever they later realize they didn't agree to the terms. Now, maybe this is not the page that some users signed up with, but at least for those that did, I just don't find the page that deceptive.

Now, once again, I understand frustration when someone has been charged fees they didn't realized they'd agree to. But, I still argue that the service is legit and provides what they promise, from my experience. Just because even a few hundred people believe they got "scammed" by this, doesn't make it a "scam" in the real sense of the word. They may well have thousands of satisfied members, and of course, why would they ever bother to say anything. People only usually bother to complain, not defend. I just wanted to be an exception and point that satisfied customers of the company do exist.

Okay, maybe the company planned to see if they could "fool" lots of people into signing up without meaning to. I don't know. But I could also easily see that it is possible they made what they thought was reasonable effort to make clear what they were offering. I do think the company deserves credit for the fact that in every single "complaint" post I have seen, people all said that the company gave them their money back immediately for up to six months, and then let them file to get back charges even further, without any hassle. That hardly seems like the actions of a scammer to me. But, I agree, just my opinion.

Maybe you should have really looked at what the service offers though. All the complainers seem to "indict first" and never consider if there was actually real benefits being offered. Once again, at least for me, the service has been completely on the level and offers good benefits that they do deliver upon. I just can't help but suspect that even if they put "YOU WILL BE CHARGED $12 A MONTH FOR THIS SERVICE" in a 72 point flashing red font at the top of the page, they'd still have people complaining they were"scammed" into signing up. But maybe they should do that nonetheless.
July 2, 2010 9:48:59 PM

Glad to note that you are not associated with SD&R!

Reflecting on SD&R, P T Barnum must be rolling in his grave!
July 3, 2010 11:31:22 AM

Nope, No Longer Sorry RandR,

You Still can't make me believe Shoppers Discounts and Rewards isn't a scam. For an example of how they tricked me, take note of the purchase made from Buy.com 1min. 50 secs. into the video in the link below. Curiosity got the best of me. All I did was click on that innocent looking little coupon. A few months later I had to fight to get reimbursed. They might appear to be less deceptive now, compared to when they burned me, but that's only because they were forced to.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/33987109#339871...

Thanx for the heads up about the above link "Ubrales". It was just a typo.
July 3, 2010 2:24:37 PM

VJ Dave, I'm with you on this one - no question about SD&R and Buy.com being shady outfits. Companies like these fly under the radar and take advantage of unsuspecting customers.

BTW, the MSNBC link you posted is no longer active.
September 8, 2010 2:19:31 PM

As this thread started with Buy.com, I'll add my two cents. I won't even get into the shady practices surrounding the alleged discounted purchases when I initiated my buy.com visa (managed through Chase). Suffice to say the lack of a Customer Service number on their web site is indication enough that they have no interest in hearing from customers. Type in your phone number and they'll call you back - if you're lucky. I"ve learend that the only way to get a callback is to put something in your shpping cart and let it sit there.... then request the call...they'll call you because they think you're ready to buy. I simply try to inquire about my accumulated rewards points, and the Chase web site sends youtoi the buys.com site, which requests you to login, then bounces you back to the same link. It's a cyuclic navigation tactic - you never can see your rewards. When I finally got an operator to call me, they told me I had to get n "ARN" Account reference number - from Chase, in order to see my rewards points. So now I attempt once again to get them to call me, (since there's no actual number YOU can call them at), and they won't.

It should be posted in big block letters all over the werb that these guys are complete and utter thieves, scam artists, and at best fraudulent business persons. I actually feel sorry for the poor rcustomer eps who have to listen to the customers complain - they're put in the middle, so you're forced to be rude to some poor employee whose thrown on the front lines as cannon fodder for their deceptive practices. I haven't got a prejudiced boned in my body, but if you actually manage to get to a "manager" - listen to the background nosie and you'll realize these are a bunch of guys in India running a sweat shop, laughing at American ignorance.
September 11, 2010 4:24:05 AM

Thanks! Good info!
September 14, 2010 9:33:32 PM

In case anyone is interested in a contrarian view here….. I was signed up for Shopper Discounts and Rewards when they called me on my cell phone. They convinced me with a 30-day money-back guarantee. I used my membership pretty much immediately and was credited with a little bit of cash back due to my purchases. Of course, I then forgot all about it and the 30 days passed without a thought. When I saw the $12.00 monthly membership fee show up on my card I had to trace it through the credit card company before I remembered signing up. I then decided I was going to cancel it. I did so and got no hassle from customer service. However, I was not going to get the $12.00 back, so I decided to try to use the service for the balance of my membership time so as to mitigate the $12.00. To my surprise, I discovered that the membership worked for me. Then one day I went to use it and discovered that my membership had lapsed (according to schedule). So I actually called Shopper Discounts and Rewards and signed back up. This was January '09 and I have been a member ever since. How I insure that it works for me is as follows. I take advantage of the monthly deal where you can buy up to $100 dollars worth of gift card for $80 (I get four $25 dollar gas cards for $20 each). Then I take advantage of the $10 monthly bonus that you can get by using the service at least once during the month (a requirement which the aforementioned gift cards purchase satisfies). So by doing a few minutes of pointing, clicking, and e-mailing, I come out ahead by $18.00 monthly ($20 gift card savings plus $10 monthly bonus minus $12.00 monthly fee) - at a minimum. I come out even further ahead if I use the service wisely for other purchases that I was going to make anyway. What I usually do is shop the web outside the service for whatever product I am interested in, note the 3 or 4 best deals that I find, and then log into the service to see if any of those 3 or 4 vendors are affiliated with the service. I find that around half the time I get the best deal through Shopper Discounts and Rewards. For example, the other day I found Quicken 2010 on Intuit's website for $20 off ($39.99) – the best deal I could find that looked legit. I then went to Shopper Discounts and Rewards and discovered that Intuit is affiliated with the service. So I got the $20 Intuit discount plus was credited for an additional 15% cash back by linking to Intuit through Shopper Discounts and Rewards. So after more than a year and a half as a member, if I am getting scammed, I’d like someone to explain how – I have yet to see any truly bogus credit card charges as a result of my membership. To make this membership (and those like it) work for you, you just need to maybe plan your purchases a little more and be willing to do a little bit extra work. Most people probably won’t do this and their membership fees are subsidizing the rest of us I guess. C’est la vie. I am sticking with Shopper Discounts and Rewards until it no longer works for me.
September 15, 2010 1:50:52 AM

The fat lady has not sung yet!
September 15, 2010 2:13:15 AM

Ubrales, read RandR's first post again. Then read mine again. Corroboration my friend. Those $25 gift cards for $20 alone cover the monthly $12 fee and therefore make the service worth it. Perhaps I joined after SD&R "cleaned up its act" or whatever - I really don't know. All I can tell you is I have had 0 problems with them and there service has been worth it for me. If that changes, I will cancel. I had no problem doing that the first time and don't expect to again. If I do, I'll just fight it through my credit card - like I had to when I fired Time Warner internet service.

I'm with you RandR!! Fight the whiners!!!!
September 15, 2010 4:48:41 AM

Point noted!
September 18, 2010 8:20:03 PM

bbartol said:
Ubrales, read RandR's first post again. Then read mine again. Corroboration my friend. Those $25 gift cards for $20 alone cover the monthly $12 fee and therefore make the service worth it. Perhaps I joined after SD&R "cleaned up its act" or whatever - I really don't know. All I can tell you is I have had 0 problems with them and there service has been worth it for me. If that changes, I will cancel. I had no problem doing that the first time and don't expect to again. If I do, I'll just fight it through my credit card - like I had to when I fired Time Warner internet service.

I see the most of the people here as Enlighteners, Not whiners.…. OK, So there are a few happy SD&R customers out there, grazing in greener pastures. Kind of reminds me of cattle….. Not a care in the world….. Living the good life….. At least, Right up to the moment that guy who feeds them every day shows up with the bolt gun in his hand.
SD&R shouldn’t force or trick you into saving money by using their service. Is anyone else having flashbacks to their childhood days? “Eat Your Vegetables Dear, Or No Dessert For You”.
September 18, 2010 11:05:46 PM

He meant Winners, not whiners! Just a typo - LOL
September 19, 2010 2:37:15 AM

bbartol said:

That's good that it is working for you - the part that I do not like is that they get your credit card number from the third party and are not required to have you enter the number separately and have you approve the charge - so that you know you are signing up for their service and will be getting charged each month - If they disclosed that and had an additional step of you actually entering the information and selecting to sign up then that would be a different story but when they hide it in the small print and get your info from the third party that you are buying from and then start to bill you each month hoping you do not notice for several months - that is where I find a problem (though granted everyone should be verifying all charges monthly to begin with !) - If as you say the service actually has something to offer then why not be more upfront about the cost and benefits of membership and simply have people actually go to their site and sign up by reentering the credit card info directly ? (of course I also place part of that blame on the third party company that is allowing them to do this as well by giving them your credit card info in the first place without proper authorization !)
September 19, 2010 5:39:42 AM

JDFan, well stated!
September 20, 2010 4:36:11 AM

Ubrales said:
The fat lady has not sung yet!

I'm pretty sure I can hear her clearing her throat. :lol: 
!