Status
Not open for further replies.

NarwhaleAu

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
BUY.COM is partnering with Reservation Rewards.

This company will AUTOMATICALLY begin to debit your credit card for $12 per month. You will receive emails from the email address you supplied buy.com (I assumed they were spam).

There is a class action lawsuit you can join if you have already been charged.

DO NOT BUY FROM BUY.COM. Go to Newegg instead.

I feel violated that I attempted to provide a company with my business and instead they sent my credit card information to a third party which automatically signed me up and began charging my credit card $12 a month.

Disgusting BUY.com - NEVER AGAIN.

cman406

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
thatz weird, how can them charge without your knowledge, you can just call your credit card company and dispute and you should get back your money in seconds.

Jan 5, 2009
MY EXPERIENCE....

Exerpt from Buy.com's privacy policy:
"At Buy.com, your privacy is a top priority. Please read our privacy policy details."
then (after pages and pages....at the very very bottom....
"Except as limited below, we reserve the right to use or disclose your personally identifiable information for business reasons in whatever manner desired"

How can you have privacy as a priority and give it away at the same time??

Third party affiliates have apparently signed me up for “Shoppers Discount” on my Credit card after I made a purchase from your website. This business does not notify the new member of being registered or anything about their business….rather one findsout after reviewing one’s statement.
Because of Buy.coms associations with these third parties and passing along my credit information, I feel it has been jeopardized.

I will not do any further business with this company. I am saddened a company like this would allow this to happen to customers. And I cannot believe I am an isolated incident. You are perpetrating this by your actions and carefully worded privacy clauses …..check out clause #10 of their privacy policy. Sad way to do business.

met_quota

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
I'm sure before you got charged you probably checked some option. I'm always buying things from buy.com and I personally trust this established retailer. Hey such scams can happen anywhere, it's probably a rare occurance or mistake if it's true.

HOWEVER, I once got a monitor with one dead pixel, buy.com replaced it, no questions asked. I didn't pay a cent for shipping. Try that at Newegg, they have the worst return policy, they never ever pay for return shipping.

Webloyalty

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Dear Forum Members:

Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate and to identify opportunities to assist our members. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted on this forum.

We would like to assist you but do not have your contact information. If you want to cancel your membership or have any questions regarding your membership to Reservation Rewards please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at either 1-800-732-7031 or send an email message to consumeraffairs@webloyalty.com. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,
Mary O'Reilly
Webloyalty Consumer Affairs
Reservation Rewards

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
It is my OPINION that Webloyalty knows fully their reputation is poor. Do a quick google search for Reservation Rewards, I cannot begin to explain the extent of complaints. I FEEL standard form letter responses with wording like, protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate, is meant as a scare tactic.

migs008

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Pretty funny. Reservation rewards work like a monthly payment that charges you very discreetly. They have multiple sites where if you buy from they get your credit information where they charge you and after you realize your being charged 12$ or more monthly you decide to call them.

Reservation rewards: "We make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR on when you register to join our membership". (F*** that!!!)

Me: "Look I already know you guys as scammers so what I want know is my money back".

RR: "Yes...uhm....sorry. I'll remove the charges to your account right now........and all charges have been removed for the past 6 months along with your membership status".

Me: "Thank you. Goodbye."

Well I think I took that pretty well. I wish everyone would just CUSS their stupid ass services and give them hell!!!

I actually regret not doing that!!!

Oh yeah I think they do this sorta the way like how banks make money by borrowing your money in your savings account. This is why they do this and why they have no problem at all giving your money back.

ON a side note: Try investigating them a little and you'll find that most of these guys ARE affiliated with banks!!!

rajkot

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I was also a fan of buy.com and purchased so many items from them. But to be frank, I am sad because of their irresponsible activity of giving the Credit card Info and personal details of their customers to a third party fraud company (Shopper's Discount) for grabbing $12 every month from the credit card.
As the amount is not so high, I noticed this scam in the third month and I informed my Bank and waiting for their action. I know that my money is gone, and I am scared of buying items through internet.

captstu

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Buy.Com also partners with Shoppers Discount and Rewards who charges your credit card to the tujne of $10/month. Avoid Buy.Com, a random choice might be better than a sure scam.

mcranhohh

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
On 6/30/09 I ordered something from Buy.com. and sometime in July I started getting a $12.00 charge on my credit card. I did not pick this up until today and I called Shoppers Discount company and they were telling me about my membership, yes that's right, the very one I did not sign up for. They mentioned they were partnering or something like that with Buy.com. I was furious and demanded that they refund all the money they charged me and they said they would. I also called American Express and told them to put the money back. If Shoppers discount actually credits our account in 3-5 days like promised, Amex can have it.
Be aware of coupuns during check out, I think that is how they got me as well.
Shoppers Discount is a scam, I wonder how many people do not realize and just cancel there membership after forking over 12,24 or more dollars.
Will be reporting to CT BBB, DCA, and attorney general.
JP

G

Buy.com is my favorite online store. I puchased many things from them. But they passed my credit card information not once but twice. The first one went to shopperdiscount(SD) then then the 2nd time went to completesaving(CS). Both SD and CS are part of Webloyality, which has been the targets of thousands of complaints to BBB, investigations. I have managed to get $144 back but I am still fighting Webloyalty to get the rest of $48 back.

People need to know that BUY.COM is in the SCAM with Webloyality. They have contracted with webloyality and they are receiving revenuse from the scam. I have decided not to purchase from BUY.com even I am 100% happy with all my previous purchase.

Also, don't believe what webloyality said regarding addressing your issue. What they will do is to refund you one month fee, then two months, then six months, and then want you to sign affidavit.... They have been in this business for so long and they are so good at stealing your money and make it looks legal. I really hope the Congressional Investigation can complete stop these company.

G

I wasn't paying attention to my credit card account and found 4 charges for $12/per month from Shopperdiscountsandawards.com. When I called they told me I clicked on some $10 rebate when I purchased something from Buy.com which activated a $12/per month subscription. I do not remember clicking on any such thing and never received an email unless it was filtered to spam. They canceled the subscription and I made it clear to them I wanted all the money ($48) credited back to my account. I then called my credit card company and had my card canceled and they have taken the charges off due to fraud. I am very disappointed in Buy.com and will not purchase anything from them again.

ant508

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Buy.com Chase Visa enrolled me into paperless billing, and one of the two companys have been making minimum payments on the Card late every month for a year just to keep it open. In doing so, they have charged me 29.9% interest and a $39 late fee for over a year. I contacted my bank and they verified that no monies from my account have gone to pay them. I have never gotten an e-mail about a balance, so my credit is now messed up, and I have close to a $1000 balance that I have not known about. Chase refused to help, except get rid of three late fees. Time to call the Attorney General, the BBB, and my lawyer.

nambi

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
WOW what a scam, just realized 6 MONTHS of 12$ charges on my company card from shoppers discounts and rewards for a purchase that I made from buy.com for 90$ I have now spent 72$ on this SCAM! I called SD&R and they will refund me 12$ but not the 60$, I called buy.com and put in a formal complaint, but I know that is useless. I want to do a charge back from Mastercard if I can but it's a company card and I'm not the signing name on this. I'm furious NEVER AGAIN BUY.com!!

VJ Dave

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Hey guys, Just wondering if any of you have notice a major increase in spam since canceling your SD accounts? After a very ugly conversation with SD I got a full refund. But I had to promise to cause as much trouble as I possibly could before I got it all back. Then a couple day later I started getting bombed with spam. Then the phone calls started. People calling trying to sell me various things. The scary part was when I started asking questions and found out these people all had my credit card info. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure SD sold it to them.

VJ Dave

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

BEWARE
You'll see someone like this person on just about all forums about Shoppers Discounts. They pretend to be your Average
Joe Poster, When in fact they are searching the web trying to do damage control. Call them out whenever you come across one.

VJ Dave

Distinguished
May 2, 2010

Shame On You Mary O'Reilly. How do you look at yourself in the mirror every morning.

Below are a couple of links to news events related to this issue that I think the readers here might find encouraging to know that someone out there is trying to do away with this Arrogant Thief. Or at least, Slow him down.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/33987109#33987109
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/33979016#33979016

VJ Dave, thanks for your excellent post! Good info on the MSNBC links!

I like to share my system for avoiding clandestine charges on my credit card. I have utilized this system for over 10 years and it has worked flawlessly. Here it is:

1. I use Bank of America's credit card (also has a Worldpoints rewards system) and online banking.

2. After signing on to the online banking website, I choose the credit card account (other savings, checking, brokerage, etc. can be consolidated on the Account).

3. When the credit card account is displayed, and I want to make an online purchase with some reputable merchant, I choose a feature called "SHOP SAFE" and click on it.

4. Another window opens and asks me to set a $ limit as well as an expiration period between 2 months and 12 months.

5. I set the $ limit to $1 above my intended purchase amount, and the expiration to 2 months (the minimum period).

6. Then I click on "Generate number"

7. A new temporary credit card number is generated and displayed with the $ amount and expiration I set. There is also a new CVC2 security code on this new number.

8. I use this credit card number for the online purchase.

9. Periodically (monthly or more often) I open this "Shop Safe" feature, view all active Shop Safe numbers, and delete the ones whose transactions are complete, and the ones that I want to cancel.

This system has worked well for me for over 10 years, and I started using Shop Safe when I opened a credit card account with MBNA which was bought over by Bank of America a few years ago.

I highly recommend this Shop Safe feature. I also wish to disclose that I have NO financial interest, and I am NOT a stock holder or employee of Bank of America, and I have NOT received and do not anticipate to receive any compensation from any party whatsoever for this post.

Hope this helps!

VJ Dave

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
Nope, Sorry RandR,

You can't make me believe Shoppers Discounts and Rewards isn't a scam. There are too many people out there getting burned by these jerks. There are thousands of people out there being ripped off by Shoppers Discounts and Rewards. Many of them are not even aware of it yet. This is not just going on in the USA. They are doing this same scam in countries all over the world. Now imagine the millions of dollars Shoppers Discounts and Rewards is stealing from all those people, being invested, or just sitting in a bank colleting interest. !!!!FREE MONEY!!!! Even if they end up paying all the money they stole back, they will still have a hefty chunk of change left in their pockets.

I'm glad they are good for you. But the truth is, Shoppers Discounts and Rewards is purposely deceptive for a reason $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

We don't know who RandR is or what the motivation is for defending Shoppers Discounts and Rewards. At best, Shoppers Discounts and Rewards is a shady outfit. I am glad that readers here consider Shoppers Discounts and Rewards to be a scam.

Companies do not get rich by giving away discounts and rewards, and all "discounts and rewards" should NOT be buried somewhere in the fine print!

Status
Not open for further replies.