xp is fine - why should I install service pack 2?

XP doesn't seem broke so is there any reason why I should 'fix it'
with enormous Service Pack 2?
24 answers Last reply
More about fine install service pack

    Yes, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113

    "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    | XP doesn't seem broke so is there any reason why I should
    'fix it'
    | with enormous Service Pack 2?

    Yes.

    In news:bk4sr0dj7ser0lob6i3i719b2jcn3aclf7@4ax.com,
    John <nospam@plusnet.com> typed:

    > XP doesn't seem broke so is there any reason why I should 'fix
    > it'
    > with enormous Service Pack 2?

    SP2 is much more than a fix for problems you may be seeing. It
    has thousands of lines of new code in it, and makes many
    improvements and fixes to problems that you may not have yet
    experienced. See List of fixes included in Windows XP Service
    Pack 2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811113&Product=windowsxpsp2

    Over and above that, it's a security-oriented service pack. It
    closes security exposures that in some cases have not yet been
    exploited. That means that without it, you can be vulnerable to
    new attacks that will be made in the future.

    An occasional person has a problem with it, but most
    installations are easy, straightforward and problem-free if you
    prepare properly for it. See

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 22:09:46 +0000, John wrote:

    > XP doesn't seem broke so is there any reason why I should 'fix it'
    > with enormous Service Pack 2?

    Lots of information about the changes provided with SP2 on the net,
    especially the Microsoft site
    (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx).
    It's up to you whether you update or not but new software and subsequent
    updates will be optimized for SP2.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Lots of good replies to your post, from people who know what they are
    talking about. On the other hand, I personally am waiting for a few months
    until the first patches for the Service Pack are issued. This is a major
    upgrade of the operating system and it makes serious changes to the code
    that is Windows XP. As for security concerns if you don't install this
    Service Pack, the answer is pure BS.

    Run a good firewall, anti-virus and malware applications and use some common
    sense when checking your email and surfing. Just like in the big city, when
    that alley (or website) looks questionable, don't go down (or surf to) it.
    Keep your wits about you and have good situational awareness.

    There are many third-party security applications that are worlds better than
    the ones Microsoft has included in SP2. Most, if not all, are totally free
    of charge. Remember that the installation of Service Pack 2 is not
    required. You are not forced or coerced into downloading and installing it.
    Not yet, anyway.

    "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    > XP doesn't seem broke so is there any reason why I should 'fix it'
    > with enormous Service Pack 2?

    You appear to view SP2 as a bugfix. It is not. It is the security revision
    to XP. A lot of the OS has been recompiled to take advantage of such things
    as data execution protection. Whether or not you 'freeze' your OS in time
    is your responsibility.

    "Kevin" wrote:

    > Lots of good replies to your post, from people who know what they are
    > talking about. On the other hand, I personally am waiting for a few months
    > until the first patches for the Service Pack are issued. This is a major
    > upgrade of the operating system and it makes serious changes to the code
    > that is Windows XP. As for security concerns if you don't install this
    > Service Pack, the answer is pure BS.
    >
    > Run a good firewall, anti-virus and malware applications and use some common
    > sense when checking your email and surfing. Just like in the big city, when
    > that alley (or website) looks questionable, don't go down (or surf to) it.
    > Keep your wits about you and have good situational awareness.
    >
    > There are many third-party security applications that are worlds better than
    > the ones Microsoft has included in SP2. Most, if not all, are totally free
    > of charge. Remember that the installation of Service Pack 2 is not
    > required. You are not forced or coerced into downloading and installing it.
    > Not yet, anyway.
    >
    > "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    > > XP doesn't seem broke so is there any reason why I should 'fix it'
    > > with enormous Service Pack 2?

    Kevin, you say that you are waiting and later on state that other items are
    better. I don't understand how you can profess to know if you haven't tried
    it.

    Further, there a millions of successful installs that have made those
    systems more secure and therefore mine. Our computer club has installed not
    only SP2 on all 15 Windows based computers. Now for a contrary position, the
    same club has installed Firefox 1.0 as the default browser on the same
    computers.

    Computer viruses are much like a herd of cattle, immunize 85% and the entire
    herd is relatively safe.

    "Jim Macklin" <> wrote in message ...

    > Yes, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113

    But many (most?) of those problems were fixed in SP1, Jim.

    Regards,
    Joe Steele

    Some but whether it is most I don't know. I do know that
    there are security fixes that are new in SP2.

    If you don't install SP2 and you get hacked/infected that is
    your problem, except you will be then spreading viruses to
    everybody else.

    "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(nojunk)@msn.com> wrote:

    >You appear to view SP2 as a bugfix. It is not. It is the security revision
    >to XP. A lot of the OS has been recompiled to take advantage of such things
    >as data execution protection. Whether or not you 'freeze' your OS in time
    >is your responsibility.

    I *had* taken the trouble to read the MS publicity on SP2 and I also
    had read about some difficulties people had in getting their trusted
    virus protection and firewall systems to work with SP2. I had also
    noted the odd poster about difficulty with uninstalling it. Hence my
    question.

    With Win98 (and now with xp) , I have run Computer Associates' EZ
    antivirus (which updates data most days and is always checked before I
    download email) for some years now, and firewalls likewise, originally
    Zone Alarm and now Agnitum Outpost - all on recommendations, at the
    time, from the appropriate newsgroups. I have seen many attempts to
    get into my system bounce off and I have, fortunately, not yet been
    caught at the wrong psychological moment by a convincing-looking
    attachment which got to me before CA did.

    This has been most helpful, so far and, if I install SP2 and get
    problems, I feel confident that this ng will be very supportive - and
    much appreciated by me. So I guess I'll wait for this debate to
    conclude and then, if things continue to look as at present, go for
    it.

    "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    | "Kevin" wrote:
    |
    | > Lots of good replies to your post, from people who know what they are
    | > talking about. On the other hand, I personally am waiting for a few
    months
    | > until the first patches for the Service Pack are issued. This is a
    major
    | > upgrade of the operating system and it makes serious changes to the code
    | > that is Windows XP. As for security concerns if you don't install this
    | > Service Pack, the answer is pure BS.
    | >
    | > Run a good firewall, anti-virus and malware applications and use some
    common
    | > sense when checking your email and surfing. Just like in the big city,
    when
    | > that alley (or website) looks questionable, don't go down (or surf to)
    it.
    | > Keep your wits about you and have good situational awareness.
    | >
    | > There are many third-party security applications that are worlds better
    than
    | > the ones Microsoft has included in SP2. Most, if not all, are totally
    free
    | > of charge. Remember that the installation of Service Pack 2 is not
    | > required. You are not forced or coerced into downloading and installing
    it.
    | > Not yet, anyway.
    | >
    | > "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    | > > XP doesn't seem broke so is there any reason why I should 'fix it'
    | > > with enormous Service Pack 2?
    | >

    | Kevin, you say that you are waiting and later on state that other items
    are
    | better. I don't understand how you can profess to know if you haven't
    tried
    | it.

    Do you mean how can he know that the free Zone Alarm or Sygate firewalls are
    better than the one-way Xp firewall?

    | Further, there a millions of successful installs that have made those
    | systems more secure and therefore mine.

    Millions of successful installs have made those systems yours???

    | Our computer club has installed not only SP2 on all 15 Windows based
    | computers.

    And the rest of the sentence is...??

    | Now for a contrary position, the same club has installed Firefox 1.0 as
    the |default browser on the same computers.

    Contrary to what?

    | Computer viruses are much like a herd of cattle, immunize 85% and the
    entire
    | herd is relatively safe.

    Did you mean *computers* are like a herd of cattle? How do you immunize a
    virus?? And from what?

    Hi, Joe.

    > But many (most?) of those problems were fixed in SP1, Jim.

    NO. If that were so, we would not have needed the many hotfixes after SP1
    and before SP2. For example, protection from the Blaster worm came in a
    hotfix in July '03, long after SP1 and a year before SP2. It is, of course,
    included in SP2.

    And even if "most" fixes had been in SP1, that missing Blaster fix would
    easily justify SP2 all by itself.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message

    > "Jim Macklin" <> wrote in message ...
    >
    >> Yes, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113
    >
    > But many (most?) of those problems were fixed in SP1, Jim.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Joe Steele

    | This has been most helpful, so far and, if I install SP2 and
    get
    | problems, I feel confident that this ng will be very
    supportive - and
    | much appreciated by me. So I guess I'll wait for this debate
    | conclude and then, if things continue to look as at present, go
    for
    | it.

    Yes, you've had a good mix of responses, and I admit I agree with
    all but one, that one possibily being a mis-speak.

    However, one item no one mentioned is: w/r to future fixes, free
    updates, etc., you'll need SP2. Pre SP2 XP is headed for the
    non-support bin, if not already there. MS has already stated
    there will be no further updates for pre-SP2 and I -think- they
    are discontinuing support also.

    IMO, MS wishes SP2 is what they had originally released prior to
    even SP1. Else they wouldn't have made this much of an upgrade
    free, even including the S&H when you order the CD: a first for
    MS, far as I know. That's when you get with the rush-to-market
    mentality of the world these days. Users demand it NOW,
    companies try to provide it NOW, and you get a zoo full of never
    before seen bugs. That's why Linux, et al are getting good reps:
    they're late to market and lots cheaper, but ... you have to wait
    while the software is gotten mostly right before you and I see
    it. Meanwhile, MS becomes solidly entrenched and looks like
    they're here for the long haul, so ... .
    Some think the continual evolution of windows patches is
    intentional but I've never been able to buy into that one.
    Just carefully read, and follow, MS's instructions and
    recommendations for the preps for SP2 and you'll have no
    catastrophic problems, possibly a couple of irritations, but all
    easily managed.

    Pop

    Product support for WinXP SP1 doesn't end until 17-Sep-2006

    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps

    Tom

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    | Hi, Joe.
    |
    | > But many (most?) of those problems were fixed in SP1, Jim.
    |
    | NO. If that were so, we would not have needed the many hotfixes after SP1
    | and before SP2. For example, protection from the Blaster worm came in a
    | hotfix in July '03, long after SP1 and a year before SP2. It is, of
    course,
    | included in SP2.
    |
    | And even if "most" fixes had been in SP1, that missing Blaster fix would
    | easily justify SP2 all by itself.
    |
    | RC
    | --
    | R. C. White, CPA
    | San Marcos, TX
    | rc@corridor.net
    | Microsoft Windows MVP

    Won't argue over the pros and cons of installing SP2; each person has to
    weigh the potential risks and benefits for him- or herself. But if you're
    saying that the Blaster fix is worth a potentially 250Mb+ "patch" when all
    one has to do is turn on a firewall, I have to wonder.

    SP2 is part new, but it is a one shot roll-up of all
    previously issued SP and patches. So that the only reason
    not to see previous patches listed, would be if a patch was
    revoked.

    "R. C. White" <rc@corridor.net> wrote in message
    | Hi, Joe.
    |
    | > But many (most?) of those problems were fixed in SP1,
    Jim.

    | NO. If that were so, we would not have needed the many
    hotfixes after SP1
    | and before SP2. For example, protection from the Blaster
    worm came in a
    | hotfix in July '03, long after SP1 and a year before SP2.
    It is, of course,
    | included in SP2.
    |
    | And even if "most" fixes had been in SP1, that missing
    Blaster fix would
    | easily justify SP2 all by itself.
    |
    | RC
    | --
    | R. C. White, CPA
    | San Marcos, TX
    | rc@corridor.net
    | Microsoft Windows MVP
    |
    | "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Jim Macklin" <> wrote in message ...
    | >
    | >> Yes, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811113
    | >
    | > But many (most?) of those problems were fixed in SP1,
    Jim.

    | > Regards,
    | > Joe Steele

    "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

    > Just carefully read, and follow, MS's instructions and
    >recommendations for the preps for SP2 and you'll have no
    >catastrophic problems, possibly a couple of irritations, but all
    >easily managed.

    'tis done. And there were no problems (so far) and one bonus - I had
    been having trouble with my firewall blocking off the internet. I had
    'solved' it by going back to a previous firewall version. Now I find
    that, after a funny sort of start, in which the problem seemed to be
    still there, it corrected itself after a couple of restarts and I'm
    able to run with the most recent version.

    This is the second indication that I've had that XP likes 'to be told
    twice' - is this fundamental, or common experience, I wonder?

    So, at the moment, with another 1.3 gig of programme, my HDD is
    already beginning to look inadequate (I've been through the 'do I
    replace the computer or upgrade the HDD' issue and have decided on the
    HDD upgrade) but commitment towards XP is growing steadily.

    Part of that commitment springs from the support I'm getting from this
    ng - for which, a heartfelt 'thankyou.'
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Many thanks for the reply RC.

    Perhaps my comment to Jim should have read <But many (most?) of those
    problems were fixed in SP1, along with its many updates>.

    I installed SP2 as soon as was made available, but I do feel that a large
    part of it was to enable folks who had not downloaded the many, previous
    updates to catch up. A decision which I approve of but should be considered
    when answering John's (the OP) question.

    Regards
    Joe Steele

    "R. C. White" <> wrote in message l...

    > Hi, Joe.
    >
    >> But many (most?) of those problems were fixed in SP1, Jim.
    >
    > NO. If that were so, we would not have needed the many hotfixes after SP1
    > and before SP2. For example, protection from the Blaster worm came in a
    > hotfix in July '03, long after SP1 and a year before SP2. It is, of
    > course, included in SP2.
    >
    > And even if "most" fixes had been in SP1, that missing Blaster fix would
    > easily justify SP2 all by itself.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Chuck Davis" <ChuckDavis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > "Kevin" wrote:
    >
    > > Lots of good replies to your post, from people who know what they are
    > > talking about. On the other hand, I personally am waiting for a few
    months
    > > until the first patches for the Service Pack are issued. This is a
    major
    > > upgrade of the operating system and it makes serious changes to the code
    > > that is Windows XP. As for security concerns if you don't install this
    > > Service Pack, the answer is pure BS.
    > >
    > > Run a good firewall, anti-virus and malware applications and use some
    common
    > > sense when checking your email and surfing. Just like in the big city,
    when
    > > that alley (or website) looks questionable, don't go down (or surf to)
    it.
    > > Keep your wits about you and have good situational awareness.
    > >
    > > There are many third-party security applications that are worlds better
    than
    > > the ones Microsoft has included in SP2. Most, if not all, are totally
    free
    > > of charge. Remember that the installation of Service Pack 2 is not
    > > required. You are not forced or coerced into downloading and installing
    it.
    > > Not yet, anyway.
    > >
    > > "John" <nospam@plusnet.com> wrote in message
    > > > XP doesn't seem broke so is there any reason why I should 'fix it'
    > > > with enormous Service Pack 2?
    > >

    > Kevin, you say that you are waiting and later on state that other items
    are
    > better. I don't understand how you can profess to know if you haven't
    tried
    > it.
    >
    > Further, there a millions of successful installs that have made those
    > systems more secure and therefore mine. Our computer club has installed
    not
    > only SP2 on all 15 Windows based computers. Now for a contrary position,
    the
    > same club has installed Firefox 1.0 as the default browser on the same
    > computers.
    >
    > Computer viruses are much like a herd of cattle, immunize 85% and the
    entire
    > herd is relatively safe.

    Chuck,
    The fact that most, if not all, of the security applications provided in SP
    2 are inferior to third party software is widely known in the computing
    industry. Many of the popular magazines like PC World, PC Magazine and
    Computer Shopper Magazine have published numerous articles to that effect.
    I won't take the chance of hosing my system until I have a better feeling
    about SP 2. Microsoft should have aggressively marketed this major upgrade
    to their premiere operating system with considerably more emphasis on
    preparing your system for the installation.

    When Microsoft releases the SP 2 patches, which will be sooner rather than
    later, I will consider installing it, disabling the included security
    features. That will all be rendered moot when they make the installation of
    Service Pack 2 a prerequisite for further updates, something they are also
    going to do sooner rather than later.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    | This is the second indication that I've had that XP likes 'to
    be told
    | twice' - is this fundamental, or common experience, I wonder?

    Dunno why, but have the same experience here. XP in fact, seems
    to be a lot more self-healing than any of the preceding versions
    were.

    | So, at the moment, with another 1.3 gig of programme, my HDD is
    | already beginning to look inadequate (I've been through the 'do
    | replace the computer or upgrade the HDD' issue and have decided
    on the
    | HDD upgrade) but commitment towards XP is growing steadily.

    If you mean you're on a slow machine, you might also consider
    having lots of RAM, maybe a Gig if your mb/CMOS will handle it.
    A lot of people like to say anything over 512 Meg doesn't help
    much, but apparently it does with XP on the slower machines; I've
    seen lots of happy campers who added lots of RAM. Then again,
    for a few hundred more, since you already have the speakers,
    monitor, etc., a new box doesn't cost all THAT much more than
    some RAM chips, and with all those nice new bells & whistles to
    play with ... . <g> 'hppy 'puting!

    Pop
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote:

    >If you mean you're on a slow machine, you might also consider
    >having lots of RAM, maybe a Gig if your mb/CMOS will handle it.

    I suspect that at 1GHz, my machine is considered 'slow' but I like to
    wait for a factor of five speed improvement before changing machines.
    That puts an amusing light on the future - I think microwave cookers
    run at x-band (9GHz) as does my satellite broadcasting detector. I
    sometimes wonder about what happens with a circuit running at
    significant power, in an enclosed space, at these frequencies.

    But I expect Intel have it all worked out. :)

    Anyway, to respond to your memory point, when I bought the machine, a
    couple of years ago, I was in the throes of converting my music tapes
    to CDs and found that I couldn't possibly avoid editing music files to
    split tracks reliably, especially since most of my music was
    classical. Hence the real need for editing big files - hence I went
    for a quicker machine (quicker, then, at any rate) and half a gig of
    RAM. I got ample reward and, currently, XP seems to be running as
    quickly as 98se did, in the days before I did the sensible thing and
    slimmed 98se down with the aid of that wonderful piece of maverick
    work, that blow for the freedom of the individual against badly
    behaving corporate giants, - 98lite!

    But that's OT and naughty of me to mention it.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >When Microsoft releases the SP 2 patches, which will be sooner rather than
    >later, I will consider installing it, disabling the included security
    >features. That will all be rendered moot when they make the installation of
    >Service Pack 2 a prerequisite for further updates, something they are also
    >going to do sooner rather than later.

    If an xp newbie can add a word here, when I installed xp with sp1, I
    felt reluctant to take on board the massive bulk of sp2 when I had
    full faith in my firewall and antiv.

    Annoyingly, my firewall wouldn't leave my antiv in peace (the two are
    Agnitum Outpost and EZAntivirus). I mucked around for ages and
    eventually found that I could get things going again by reverting to
    an earlier version of Outpost.

    Then, under the almost overwhelming consensus right here, I installed
    sp2. Now, the most recent Outpost has stopped mucking up my antiv.

    It seems like the old story - the software apps get written for the
    new OS versions and old versions start getting in bother. We can put
    up a bit of a fight, but sooner or later, the fact that MS has us by
    the short and curly, tells.

    In my case, in some isolation from the rest of the world, it seems, I
    really like Easy CDCreator and packet writing. The most recent
    version is a marked improvement on earlier messy work by Roxio, but it
    won't run on 98se - so I end up trying xp and then find I need lots
    more HDD.

    And so it goes.

    I ought to confess, however, that I do really like getting in to new
    technology - I may be 69 but my science training has me in its grip
    for ever. :)
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "John" <> wrote in message....

    > ........................................................ XP seems to be
    > running as
    > quickly as 98se did, in the days before I did the sensible thing and
    > slimmed 98se down with the aid of that wonderful piece of maverick
    > work, that blow for the freedom of the individual against badly
    > behaving corporate giants, - 98lite!
    >
    > But that's OT and naughty of me to mention it.

    John, you may be able to do the same with XP. XPlite is available from the
    same source.

    If you do use XPlite, perhaps you report back and tell us the results.

    Regards,
    Joe Steele
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "J&P" <jopam@beeteeinternet.com> wrote:

    >John, you may be able to do the same with XP. XPlite is available from the
    >same source.
    >
    >If you do use XPlite, perhaps you report back and tell us the results.

    Shane Brooks (www.litepc.com) has offered xplite and 2000lite for some
    time. My experience with 98lite, these past few years, has been
    almost entirely positive.

    Beyond that, as a newbie, I suspect I should not go.

    More directly on topic is the fact that, yesterday, when first using
    my xp installation of my Epson software to 'scan to email' I didn't
    find it all that easy to release xp's hold on its choice of emailer.
    (I'm happily running my 98se installation of Eudora out of xp) . It
    seems that MS has obeyed the court's direction to loosen its hold in a
    thoroughly grudging fashion. I ended up sorting my scan to email but
    then found that I could no longer get IE6 until I gave back permission
    to xp to use the MS apps, including outlook express, which I detest -
    this is just plain silly and I have no doubt at all that xplite, as
    did 98lite, will emancipate users from this kind of MS bullying.

    Looking back at that para, I see that the description of issues in
    dual-booting can get a little difficult to describe concisely and
    unambiguously. I apologise for my own rather limited success at it.

Microsoft Windows XP