Blue Death Screen

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Hey, today I was playing Diablo 2 and I got the blue death screen, I have no idea why, it said something about irql but i couldnt get the rest because the comp restarted too fast. Just built it, havent had any problems at all in the 2 weeks its been running, what do you think could be wrong?

I'm running:

Intel core 2 duo 2.13ghz
2 gigs corsair xms2 ddr800
7600gt
500gig western digital
gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Usually if a BSOD comes up stating an IRQ conflick then soming wasn't right.

Has this BSOD pop up on you since?

What PSU do you have?

Hasn't happened since. Psu i'm running is an antec truepower 2 550watt.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006

Nah, the IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL (what it seems like) error usually comes up when your system has bad power to it or it is using too much power. I know, the error officially says "driver" in there somewhere, but trust me, its not the drivers. This could be caused by many things, the most important of which is HEAT.

Let me get to the actual physical problem that causes this error: The ram gets power that is uneven and corruption happens in the ram while the data is in it. While good operating systems are able to recover from this (normally), Windows has been written in a way that causes the system to completely crash and require a ram flush and a total restart.

This is generally caused by one of two things (or both): overheating/failing power circuitry on the motherboard or an overheating/failing power supply. Since your power supply seems to be of high quality, and the problems only crop up when the system is under load, I would place the blame on heat. You may want to review the cooling situation you have to see if you can get the processor area cooler as well as increasing ventilation to the power supply.

If that doesn't fix it, your problem could lie in the actual power to the system. Make sure its behind a surge protector, and also (if you can) put a backup battery in the line to rule out the possibility even further.

Worst case scenario, you may have a prematurely failing piece of hardware somewhere. Probably the power supply, in my experience. It is a sad but true fact of life. Make sure to test with a known good power supply before you do a warranty claim/return.

@mpilchfamily:
You are correct about the IRQ errors, but that doesn't usually happen on modern hardware anymore, as if you install too many things, the system will either refuse to boot or it will be incredibly (and noticeably) unstable. Fortunately, it takes a LOT of devices to do that, and while it can be done, you would definitely know you were pushing the limits of the IRQs.

Edit:_______________________________________
Sorry, I got carried away in my post, and forgot that the error hadn't shown its ugly face again. That surely means its heat issues. Just review how the air flows about in your system, and make sure that the essential components have good ventilation.
Edit2:
I would also like to mention that I have experienced everything I have just mentioned here firsthand, and have pulled out my hair over every one except the IRQ's, since I did that one on purpose. Lessons learned? Take time to put the case together to ensure good cooling, and get high quality powering parts. Those together make a happy computer.

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006

Nah, the IRQL_LESS_OR_NOT_EQUAL (what it seems like) error usually comes up when your system has bad power to it or it is using too much power. I know, the error officially says "driver" in there somewhere, but trust me, its not the drivers. This could be caused by many things, the most important of which is HEAT.

Let me get to the actual physical problem that causes this error: The ram gets power that is uneven and corruption happens in the ram while the data is in it. While good operating systems are able to recover from this (normally), Windows has been written in a way that causes the system to completely crash and require a ram flush and a total restart.

This is generally caused by one of two things (or both): overheating/failing power circuitry on the motherboard or an overheating/failing power supply. Since your power supply seems to be of high quality, and the problems only crop up when the system is under load, I would place the blame on heat. You may want to review the cooling situation you have to see if you can get the processor area cooler as well as increasing ventilation to the power supply.

If that doesn't fix it, your problem could lie in the actual power to the system. Make sure its behind a surge protector, and also (if you can) put a backup battery in the line to rule out the possibility even further.

Worst case scenario, you may have a prematurely failing piece of hardware somewhere. Probably the power supply, in my experience. It is a sad but true fact of life. Make sure to test with a known good power supply before you do a warranty claim/return.

@mpilchfamily:
You are correct about the IRQ errors, but that doesn't usually happen on modern hardware anymore, as if you install too many things, the system will either refuse to boot or it will be incredibly (and noticeably) unstable. Fortunately, it takes a LOT of devices to do that, and while it can be done, you would definitely know you were pushing the limits of the IRQs.

Edit:_______________________________________
Sorry, I got carried away in my post, and forgot that the error hadn't shown its ugly face again. That surely means its heat issues. Just review how the air flows about in your system, and make sure that the essential components have good ventilation.
Edit2:
I would also like to mention that I have experienced everything I have just mentioned here firsthand, and have pulled out my hair over every one except the IRQ's, since I did that one on purpose. Lessons learned? Take time to put the case together to ensure good cooling, and get high quality powering parts. Those together make a happy computer.

Well it is definitely not a heat issue, the system and cpu never go above 40C even on full load and the video card never goes above 55C and i was only playing diablo 2 so its probably not under much of a load at all. I have the power supply hooked up to a surge protector and a battery backup. But this hasn't happened again, could this be that its some weird software issue with diablo 2?

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Is it the vid card? Try to run 3DMark as some indicator (if it makes it a few times the card is likely fine, if it fails it may be the card but this definitely doesn't prove it). I'm not sure how to narrow it down to just the card but this would help.
Jo