Should I go for dual xeon woodcrest or regular core dual?

franktam918

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, and this is my first post. :oops:

I am thinking to build a new system myself. I do some gaming, but not so extreme, so this system will be at least 60% for work. And here comes the questions:

1. Should I go dual woodcrest xeon? or should I just go for the regular core dual, if money is not a problem?
2. Would I get any problem with gaming if I go for xeon? I mean how does the chipset support in those server MB?
3. Is there a big difference in performance? Both gaming and work.
4. Does any manufacture make a MB that is not for "server" but uses xeon CPUs? Cox I really want the board with all the features, like 1394, 7.1 Audio etc.
5. Should I loaded it with 32 or 64 bits OS? Both for game and work.
6. Any suggestion on a low budget xeon MB?(I don't need something crazy, just a SATA II with Raid 0,1,5; and a x16 PCIE for VGA; preferred to have at least 1 regular PCI slot for my 7.1 sound card.)

Thank you so much for your opinion. and sorry to ask so many dumb questions, cus I am out tuned from the PC market for 3 yrs already. :oops: :oops: :oops:

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
1. Should I go dual woodcrest xeon? or should I just go for the regular core dual, if money is not a problem?

ok unless your doing major work on this computer that can fully utilize both cores of each woodcrest proc. then dont even think about a duel xeon setup.
the processors that could beat a C2D would be the ones that are about 3.0Ghz and those cost something like $800 each so unless price REALLY isnt an issue then its a complete waste.

2. Would I get any problem with gaming if I go for xeon? I mean how does the chipset support in those server MB?

the chipsets for the socket 771 CPU's really arnt that good for games so a C2D would most likely perform better than woodcrests.

4. Does any manufacture make a MB that is not for "server" but uses xeon CPUs? Cox I really want the board with all the features, like 1394, 7.1 Audio etc.

xeons are made strictly for server and workstation use and workstation boards should have all that stuff like good sound, but if you want 7.1 get a seprate soud card.

6. Any suggestion on a low budget xeon MB?(I don't need something crazy, just a SATA II with Raid 0,1,5; and a x16 PCIE for VGA; preferred to have at least 1 regular PCI slot for my 7.1 sound card.)

if your dropping $1600 for duel processors then getting a low budget mobo would be kind of stupid...

so no go for a nice C2D setup and forget xeons, a great xeon system would start at around $3000 and might not perform as well as a C2D setup for $2000 in certain areas. if you really want a duel xeon setup just get a mac pro with the 1900xt thats a great system and would cost about $3000 like i just said and its a mac!

oh and i think you can only use FB-DIMM's in woodcrest setups and those cost $$$

franktam918

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Wow.......Thanks a lot for all these detail information, I guess I know what to do now. Really appreciated for all those great info.

PS: I got the 2 xeon cpus for free, that's why..... :wink: :wink:

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
oh you did! what kind? yeah build a xeon system if youve already got the CPU's it'll still be pricey but not alot of people can say that they have a duel xeon setup.

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
well one of the perks to xeon mobos is that alot of them support like 64GB of memory! the fact it would cost about 6 grand to get that many FB-DIMM's is besides the point :)

oh and this is my 64th post w00t!

looked up the 2.0ghz woodcrests on newegg and they still run about $300 a peice with an entry level/migrange mobo at about $400 with 2GB of FB-DIMM's at around $400 as well. $200 1950pro or something similar, case, PSU, HDD, cd/dvd drive, i think you could do it for like $2000 since you already have the CPU's

Dante_Jose_Cuervo

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Yeah, but they're woodcrests. They don't need to be fast to outpace opertrons or their core 2 counterparts when it comes to server loads. Now onto the memory and mobo question. Mobos for this aren't going to be cheap but look for something from supermicro or maybe Asus or Tyan. Depends on your needs I suppose. Memory... you'll need at least 4 FB-DIMMS since it is a quad-channel memory bus so you'll end up with at least 2 gigs of ram to start off with it. Crazy aint it? Now, for gaming you'll be ok... but don't expect anything too great.

A big perk though, is that you CAN get tons of memory for these things. I personally have a Tyan Tempest i5000PW, 16 FB-DIMM SLOTS, but alas, due to problems with my bank I couldn't get everything else ::cries dramatically::

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
A big perk though, is that you CAN get tons of memory for these things. I personally have a Tyan Tempest i5000PW, 16 FB-DIMM SLOTS, but alas, due to problems with my bank I couldn't get everything else ::cries dramatically::

yeah like i mentioned earlier, i just looked up the prices on FB-DIMM's on newegg and a 4GB (2x 2GB) set is $699.99! they dont seem to sell 4GB moduals so you couldnt go all the way to 64GB (at least if you buy off newegg) but 32GB would still cost OVER $10,000!!!