Could the intel 945/950 still be worth its value?

Intel 945 as an acceptable partial upgrade now?

• Yes

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an intel 945 for my board.

An intel 945 btw (for those who don't know only) is actually an intel 950 in every sense and spec, it simply doesn't have the intel virtualization technology (AKA VIIV). Viiv is really a feature that i don't need, and forsee (for my case) will be uneeded for maybe forever.

The basic idea is that i could at least go dual-core with the mobo that i have.

Here's my status:
Processor: intel 630
mobo: intel 945GNT

- BUYING a NEW RIG is really NOT an OPTION for me. (well for now) I'll probably get a whole new rig after I see what intel releases after Quadro and AMD after 4x4.

-WAITING. Hmm maybe it's an option, but I really want to go dual-core asap or asac (as soon as its cheaper).

-CORE 2 DUO. Well my only problem is that this would really drive my upgrade cost up since i need to get a new mobo and ram along with the thing.

I do quite a degree of video re-encoding with DivX/Xvid so I know that dual-core would be kinda good for me. But is the 945 really worth it?

PS: The thing is priced at around $176 here (which is not the US not in EU, so newegg or ebay isn't really viable for me). The E6300 is around $192.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Hi, I'm thinking of getting an intel 945 for my board.

An intel 945 btw (for those who don't know only) is actually an intel 950 in every sense and spec, it simply doesn't have the intel virtualization technology (AKA VIIV). Viiv is really a feature that i don't need, and forsee (for my case) will be uneeded for maybe forever.

The basic idea is that i could at least go dual-core with the mobo that i have.

Here's my status:
Processor: intel 630
mobo: intel 945GNT

- BUYING a NEW RIG is really NOT an OPTION for me. (well for now) I'll probably get a whole new rig after I see what intel releases after Quadro and AMD after 4x4.

-WAITING. Hmm maybe it's an option, but I really want to go dual-core asap or asac (as soon as its cheaper).

-CORE 2 DUO. Well my only problem is that this would really drive my upgrade cost up since i need to get a new mobo and ram along with the thing.

I do quite a degree of video re-encoding with DivX/Xvid so I know that dual-core would be kinda good for me. But is the 945 really worth it?

PS: The thing is priced at around $176 here (which is not the US not in EU, so newegg or ebay isn't really viable for me). The E6300 is around $192.
Not sure which RAM you're currently using, but DDR2-533 is all that's needed for Core2Duo. :wink:

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
for that price its definitely a complete rip off since the C2D is only $20 more but since you would have to buy a new mobo & ram its a tough call, if you dont mind knowing that your wasting the $170, you would probably see some kind of improvemet in system performance.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Well my main problem is the compatibility. On intel's website the 945GNT doesn't list the Core 2 Duo (buhuhuhu) as a compatible processor.

If anyone really knows if C2D could work on this board then the information would be greatly appreciated.