A little E6400 question

WereWolf81

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
Just got my E6400. Dropped it in and ended up with idle temps of 43C (stock cooler). Ran CPU-Z (1.34.1) and showed voltages double what they should be for each core. Using same version that Tom used on his OC article. People have talked about getting processors that idle in the low 30s, but some get the processors like mine that idle high for a C2D. I would think that the extra voltage would account for the extra temp, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. I've already ordered a Zalman 9500 for cooling, but I'm still thinking about RMAing this processor. I'll be getting a newer version of CPU-Z to see if the voltage still reads the same. Does anyone have any suggestions for me before I RMA this thing? I don't want to RMA it if the problem is really the nut behind the keyboard.
Thanks in advance.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Voltages double for each core... are you saying CPU-Z is saying voltages are greater than 2V? Which really shouldn't be possible because your processor would be a slab of metal soldered onto your mobo... maybe your looking at the reading wrong...

43C idle isin't too bad, not the best, but probably nothing wrong with the chip itself. What other kind of cooling do you have in your case? That might also account for some of the temp.

WereWolf81

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I've a thermaltake armor series full tower with the stock fans. One top, front, and back, so I should have pretty good airflow (I think). And yes, that's what it looks like (double for each core). The screen shots in the article showed normal 1.34V on the main page. My main page shows 2.56 in the same field (once again, same version of CPU-Z).

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You might need to manually adjust or figure out which MB sensor CPU-Z needs to be configured by in its cpuz.ini file.

The website does explain this:

VCore Switches between the different voltages reported by the sensor chip. If 0 (default value) reports a wrong vcore, try 1, 2 and so on.

WereWolf81

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I'll try that. It still doesn't explain why I'm getting such high idle temps (in comparison to other e6400's) with stock cooling. I bought this processor for the overclocking capabilities that it's supposed to have. Granted, I'm new to overclocking and custom rigs, so this problem may be the nut behind the keyboard, but I keep on seeing people that say they're idling in the low 30s on the stock cooler while mine idles 10C higher. If I wanted to run at 57C at 2.4 GHz idle, I'd go back to a P4. Maybe I didn't get the stock cooler on right.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
That could be true too, but remember, there are many other factors that play into things. The HSF might not be on correctly like you said, but what about your ambient temps? That plays a large factor also. Those people that get low 30's might be sitting in Antarctica at the research station... which would explain a lot. Take things as a whole, and look at the whole picture instead of just blaming the processor.

Low 40's are still decent either way, keep it below 60 at load and your good.