Sign in with
Your question

8800gtx Performance Explored

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 3, 2006 11:19:52 AM

link!!

Didnt see this anywhere on here yet.

It's not as power hungry as we were thinking it was going to be.
November 3, 2006 11:58:27 AM

I'd already read it and they actually had some real benchmarks... man, that thing smashed the 1950. For the next couple of months Nvidia has a winner on their hands. After that...
November 3, 2006 12:01:21 PM

Ya man, I cant wait for the r600 to hit the streets. Would also love to see some finalized pricing on the G80.
Related resources
November 3, 2006 12:08:18 PM

The whole test is bs though... They're using "NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI based motherboard" ...

Ok..?

Seriously.
November 3, 2006 12:11:18 PM

Quote:
NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI and 650i SLI based motherboards are expected to have three PCI Express x16 slots.

^ Wtf, "expected" ..!?!

They just claimed they had one for testing >.<

T.T
November 3, 2006 12:39:36 PM

the motherboard is coming out the same time as the video card. why does it matter what mobo they are using anyway. even if it is better then current offering, the performance difference just from the mobo is probably less then 1-2%.
November 3, 2006 12:47:44 PM

Really... when has a motherboard made a drastic impact on performance? 1%... 2%... 3%... whatever... that 8800 was all over the 1950 they tested it against. Personally, I think that the R600 will go above and beyond that... but for now it appears Nvidia has the advantage. Don't hate.
November 3, 2006 12:50:56 PM

Hey man, hate to break this to ya, but DaileyTech isnt the INQ.
November 3, 2006 12:54:34 PM

Couldn't agree with you guys more Rodney & JBS, no matter what mobo they would use, the 8800gtx would walk over the 1950. It's a better card(for nowz).
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2006 1:57:11 PM

Quote:
The whole test is bs though... They're using "NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI based motherboard" ...

Ok..?

Seriously.

what's your point?

And the board they have is most likely pre-production, so the layout/componement might change still a funny statement indeed.
November 3, 2006 3:26:24 PM

Damned impressive numbers that 8800 is pushing.
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2006 3:29:32 PM

It downright spanked the X1950XTX in those tests. I'd like to see COD2 and outdoor Oblivion reults...games that really hammer the GPU.
November 3, 2006 3:31:30 PM

Quote:

Ok..?

Seriously.

This is not good news for you Ati fanboys. these new Nv cards are twice as fast lol
November 3, 2006 3:37:15 PM

Quote:

Ok..?

Seriously.

This is not good news for you Ati fanboys. these new Nv cards are twice as fast lol

exact same happened moving from the FX--68XX and 9xxx -- X8xx

I'm not to to worried tbh. The only reason Nv would push a chip this early is that they have some indication of whats coming from the Northmen. Which is why their set to launch a refresh once the R600 hits.

On the other hand. I bet Nv is still sore that ATi was the company to launch the first full DX9 capable GPU. So I bet that has been sitting in the back of their minds. Its partly just becuase of the title to launch a product this earlier.

Fine numbers though in the meantime. If I can scrounge up the quick cash...I guess I can sell a couple of my "older" GPU's and pick one up since it would be the performance holder.

the only current problem I'm seeing.... CPU bottleneck with these GPU's. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: 

Edit: relooking over the link. they have the X1950XTX @ over 300w draw. mhmm, not to sure about that. a 4% higher wattage draw on load for the new 8800. seems a bit smudged.
November 3, 2006 4:12:25 PM

3 things! First of all that is one very large card. I would need to cut a hole in the from of my case to have it fit :p  JK.
Second. All I want to know is how would it do on Oblivian.... I am not a big fan of the game but I know that it very Graphics draining.
3 that is a very power hungry!
Other wise.. It sure does look like a sweet card.
November 3, 2006 4:26:08 PM

I couldn't agree more. Oblivion was "ok" but not what I was hoping for. It does cripple even some of the best current systems tho with settings up and resolution moderate.

I hate how the initial reviews of new product seem to use benchmarks that are wholy synthetic or ones that aren't going to push it all that hard anyway. I want to see some hardcore benching of the most intense real games. :roll:
November 3, 2006 4:37:39 PM

Hey Cleeve......hi!
November 3, 2006 4:39:55 PM

The release date is what I'm wanting to know..
Regardless as to whether this card will be affordable.. it will drive 7x series prices down.

The bottom end 8 series might be cheaper, faster, and more power efficient than the 7900gtx card.

I'm running out of time though.. my mainboard just crapped out on me and my video card is AGP.. I wont buy an AGP motherboard and I dont want to buy a video card right before a big pricing shift like this.
November 3, 2006 5:15:13 PM

Quote:
Hey Cleeve......hi!

YO ANOOBIS, yo!
November 3, 2006 5:15:31 PM

Looking at the 8800 without the heatsink. I notice that there's 8 screws and that it seems to be keeping the GPU in place. So this GPU can be remove? and better yet upgradable? Just a curious observation.
November 3, 2006 5:25:20 PM

Hey Chuck, what case is that?

mmmm....Portillo's for lunch....mmmm
November 3, 2006 5:42:22 PM

What will affect the price of cards below the 8800 series cards are the economic conditions that affect all markets. Just because the 8800gtx hits the sales floor doesn't mean that prices on all the other cards will immediately drop. If retailers still believe that, based on all the market forces, that they are still selling enough cards at their current prices, prices on the midrange lower will stay constant. All in all, the prices of lower performance cards may or may not drop, but it's impossible to know right now unless there is someone with ati or nvidia making that claim.
November 3, 2006 6:36:19 PM

I knew that thing would draw less than 400 W.

800W or better, sheesh...... :roll:

AND most of the guys making those claims should know better.

I do wish they had commented on thermal charachteristics and noise level of that beast.
November 3, 2006 6:51:19 PM

I agree with that. Don't make extravagant predictions, I always say to have lower expectations and be surprised is better than having high expectations and being disappointed all the time.

Applied to the power consumption, my logic isn't sound, but you get the idea :) 

I can't remember if it was a real article or a guess thread that I read the cooler is about as loud as the 7900GTX and runs similar temps. That very well could have been speculation, I honestly don't remember where I read that.
November 3, 2006 7:10:31 PM

I read the same thing today but have poured over so many threads and previews of the card today I don't remember where I saw it. shrug :lol: 
November 3, 2006 7:13:47 PM

Very impressive, but why no Oblivion or FEAR? Those are the benchies I'm waiting for.
November 3, 2006 7:18:08 PM

you need 800w or better to sli them, not for a single setup
November 3, 2006 7:30:08 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. Oblivion was "ok" but not what I was hoping for. It does cripple even some of the best current systems tho with settings up and resolution moderate.

I hate how the initial reviews of new product seem to use benchmarks that are wholy synthetic or ones that aren't going to push it all that hard anyway. I want to see some hardcore benching of the most intense real games. :roll:

yup i want to see oblivion benchmarks, i garuantee you its still gonna be low frames.it crippled ALL high end computers, including toms 10,000 PC at 40fps max in outside environments. Im tired of them testing games that in my book, are a thing of the past. if my 7800 gtx runs them perfectly at max res and ev erything turned up graphics wise, those games should no longer be tests with these new video cards.i bet in oblivion with hdr and AA turned on, it wont get more than 10 more frames than the 7950gx2 in outside environments. no video card is worth 650 bucks, especially for small performance increases, manufacturers arnt stupid, they know kids are willing to dish out any amount of cash to get the latest and great technology thats released, that shouldnt be priced for more than 400 bucks for the highest end, newest released card.
November 3, 2006 7:35:50 PM

Quote:
yup i want to see oblivion benchmarks, i garuantee you its still gonna be low frames.it crippled ALL high end computers, including toms 10,000 PC at 40fps max in outside environments. Im tired of them testing games they in my book, are a thing of the past. if my 7800 gtx runs them perfectly at max res and ev erything turned up graphics wise, those games should no longer be tests with these new video cards.i bet in oblivion with hdr and AA turned on, it wont get more than 10 more frames than the 7950gx2 in outside environments. no video card is worth 650 bucks, especially for small performance increases, manufacturers arnt stupid, they know kids are willing to dish out any amount of cash to get the latest and great technology thats released, that shouldnt be priced for than 400 bucks for the highest end, newest released card.

learn to type
November 3, 2006 7:46:11 PM

Quote:
go **** yourself.

um what was the point of you immature kids getting angry at my statement, because its true? i never said i wasnt willing to pay that much, "OMG he just put down computer hardware! kill him!" whats wrong with you, it was a simple statement. jesus calm down.
November 3, 2006 7:47:56 PM

Hey Lord, I think Stranger was sticking up for ya bud :wink:
November 3, 2006 7:49:19 PM

Just pointing out that Nvidia isn't the one that didn't benchmark Oblivion...

Daily Tech has nothing to hide, I'm sure they have a reason for not BMing Oblivion. They just want to report the data and wanted to be one of the first to get some pure data on the internet about an upcoming technology.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2006 8:07:19 PM

LOL! that'll teach ya to be nice!!! :lol:  :lol: 

Two thing, I think they put these benchmark because obviously nVidia let them do so to add some hype OMG 60%%%%

But as mentionned the real hard benchmark were not included, I'd say we might see more ~40% improvement(total guess here!).

I dont know how CPU bound this card will be, obviouslt is in 3Dmark and most likely in those older games where 120-170 fps doesnt change much.

On thing that could be a big seller for me it that 'Physic engine', if that card can push some frame rate and at the same time offload some physic, that would be sweet. I dont plan on goin SLI/Xfire but if physic see a real boost and you can SLI lesser card to offload physic that could be sweet.

Again totaly an opinion but I think we will see something tangebile on the physic front this year(read 2007).

So getting a 8800GTs might be something I consider around~december when I build my computer. Because right now I have no clue what I'll do and I sold my older PC so I really need a new one. Video card is the biggest question mark. Get a X1950pro and wait for R600 see how it compare with 8800?, get the G80 right away, etc etc
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2006 8:12:36 PM

Oblivion takes more time/energy to bench. They would probably rather just run some quick time demos.
November 3, 2006 8:14:11 PM

The G80s will definitely be worth getting. Perhaps not right away, but the refresh early next year or something. The R600 too, of course. It might be even faster 8O.

Oblivion bench would've been good, yeah.

About that power consumption, they *were* running a QX6700, which draws a lot of power as well, that could be why the figres were high on the XTX.
November 3, 2006 8:26:25 PM

Learn how to type.
November 3, 2006 8:58:32 PM

Let's not.

Not worth it. Really.
November 3, 2006 8:58:55 PM

Quote:
It downright spanked the X1950XTX in those tests. I'd like to see COD2 and outdoor Oblivion reults...games that really hammer the GPU.
Yes... and I think many of us are excited about this because we'll finally (maybe) be able to crank the @#$* out of graphics settings while maintaining OK resolutions in Oblivion. I can't wait to see oblivion benchmarks!
November 3, 2006 9:26:06 PM

These two companies play leap frog all the time. So Nvidia released a faster card..... who cares.... it is well overpriced at the moment, and ATI will release something that is probably equivalent or a little faster. They do this all the time, nothing new here, with exception to a higher power consumption and ginormousgundus card.

wes
November 3, 2006 9:35:06 PM

Quote:
i get playable FPS at 19 x 12 on my machine. are you expecting 60FPS plus at all times or something.

Well, you have a pretty sweet gfx setup already. I don't want 60FPS all the time at 19x12, but I want 30+ FPS (I also have 16:10 monitor at that res). And if I can get something even close to that with a single-GPU setup, that's a plus for me.

And do you have EVERY setting maxed? What kind of FPS are you getting outside? (that's my prob w/ Oblivion. In city it can be fine, then in some places outside it just tanks)
November 3, 2006 9:37:04 PM

Quote:
These two companies play leap frog all the time. So Nvidia released a faster card..... who cares.... it is well overpriced at the moment, and ATI will release something that is probably equivalent or a little faster. They do this all the time, nothing new here, with exception to a higher power consumption and ginormousgundus card.

wes
Yeah... I'm not thrilled about the size/power consumption. nVidia obviously isn't too concerned with environmental issues ;) .
a b U Graphics card
November 3, 2006 9:49:13 PM

Quote:
Yes... and I think many of us are excited about this because we'll finally (maybe) be able to crank the @#$* out of graphics settings while maintaining OK resolutions in Oblivion. I can't wait to see oblivion benchmarks!
And to be more specific on Oblivion performance, how does 8800GTX do vs X1950XTX and crossfire X1950XTX running FSAA+HDR in Oblivion.
November 3, 2006 9:50:40 PM

That's pretty impressive FPS in Oblivion man. I have 7600GT and I'm in looking at 25FPS in forest running at 1024x768 with settings down to where it looks like crap :( .

Hence me being excited about G80. I'll probably wait for R600 to see how things "shake down" before upgrading.
November 3, 2006 10:13:38 PM

" 128-bit HDR with 16x anti-aliasing and NVIDIA’s Quantum Physics Engine."

That is the only thing that will sell that card. Can you BELIEVE THAT? 16 ANTI ALIASING!? WTF! my eyes are going to BURN! at the clarity of the on screen units! whats AS going to be? 32!? i mean i know SLI AND CS can do higher levels of AA like 8 and 6 but this is just one card.

"Previous NVIDIA graphics cards in single card configurations were limited to lower levels of anti-aliasing. With the GeForce 8800 series, users can experience 16x anti-aliasing with only a single card. DailyTech has verified the option is available in the NVIDIA control panel."

I cant wait to see what ATI has up there sleeve.
November 3, 2006 10:19:24 PM

"don't listen to me as i know nothing. "

your sig :lol: 

How do you know they wont support it? many games could do a quick fix but we never really know.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2006 5:05:45 AM

Quote:
Oblivion takes more time/energy to bench. They would probably rather just run some quick time demos.

True, however I question Prey and Quake4 being run together. So the games market is primarily DX, but their gaming benchmarks are 2 OGL, 1 DX, plus 3Dmark? If that doesn't smell like 'guided' benchmarking then I don't know.

Like most early reviews/benchies they get 'leaked', most are under the most favourable conditions.

Fear , Oblivion and SeriousSam2 are pretty much standards of stress tests now, not these aging titles with little new to add.
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2006 4:34:55 PM

Yeah, totally agree with that Grape.
November 4, 2006 4:48:39 PM

When are prelim results ever NOT under favorable conditions?
a b U Graphics card
November 4, 2006 4:54:51 PM

When you want legal action to be taken against you(or your connections) for breaking NDA and/or having your hands on a card before release/availability. :D 
November 5, 2006 6:18:02 AM

Uh yeah a link would be nice :D 
!