Gateway to Support Overclocking?

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4763

A surprising part of Gateway's announcement is that the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 dual-core processor can be ordered overclocked from the factory while retaining the full warranty. However, it is unknown what the clockspeed increase will be, or whether or not the end-user will have any control over clock frequencies.
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or just shake my head.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I want to say its a good thing... but albeit a bit pointless...

Only thing that really scares me is if it spawns a group of OC newbs who come onto this forums and say how their computer pwns everyone else because it's factory OC'ed...

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4763

A surprising part of Gateway's announcement is that the Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 dual-core processor can be ordered overclocked from the factory while retaining the full warranty. However, it is unknown what the clock speed increase will be, or whether or not the end-user will have any control over clock frequencies.
I don't know whether to laugh, cry or just shake my head.

I think this is a good thing... However it doesn't matter to me at all since I will never ever get a dell unless it is a laptop. I wonder how much they are going to be charging for the OC. I'm guessing it will come with a premium price tag above the cost of the X6800. At least more and more people are getting use to the idea of OCing though.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
So? If they couldn't do it, maybe they'd just design another brand new chip with Core efficiency and NetBurst clocks. :tongue:
Maybe they should take BaronBS to work for them. He can invent that :lol:

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Also, if everyone starts OC'ing, then we won't feel as superior anymore...

I have to flex my E-Peen every so often.. factory OC'ing takes the fun out of it...

Would you rather get a Civic and do aftermarket additions yourself, or just buy a Dodge SRT-4?

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006

I have to flex my E-Peen every so often.. factory OC'ing takes the fun out of it...

Would you rather get a Civic and do aftermarket additions yourself, or just buy a Dodge SRT-4?
depends on what is cheaper

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Heh, true true...

Either way, It's probably a good thing for the people who want increased performance but don't want to bother with what goes on under the hood, while we like to control everything under the hood...

fishboi

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
I dont think this will work. One system crash, one reboot, and BIOS reset to default, and game over for the manufacturers OC settings. We all know how systems differ from system to system. They will get swamped with calls.

Unless they OC using software apps. that they can easily revert back to. But then:
1) They OC wont be that high and,
2) We all know how reliable those crappy programs are.

Anyway, my $0.02.

Frozen_Fallout

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2003

I don't really personly care about Dell selling OCed computers exept that fact that the indestry is getting more use to OCing and warrenties for the OCing. I like OCing personly and have a ton of fun doing it so I would never get a factory OCed computer but for people that want a warrenty all the power to them :)

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
You should have made it seem like an ordeal...plug stuff in a certain order while muttering about the importance of the proper order and making sure that the PSU got plugged into the top receptacle and ranting about a guy that plugged in his monitor before putting the line out into the soundcard...probably could've got a call back when it comes time to hook up the printer.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hey, if I could get the Israel Design Team to overclock a Core2Duo for me, I'd do it.
I bet they are noobz for overclocking.
:lol: Don't think so, I bet the new C2Ds will be just actual OCed cores, they just play the clock game now.