Reformat with XP Home 'Upgrade'

I have a 3 year old Compaq Athlon 1.1 that I want to slick and start clean.
I don't have any disks that may have come with the rig originally. I
upgraded from ME to XP Home about a year ago and I do have XP Home 'Upgrade'
disk.
Is there a full, bootable OS on the disk that I can use to start from
scratch?
That is, does the upgrade disk also have a full OS on it?
Or, was the upgrade disk just enough to upgrade?
And, can anyone point me to any web sites with good discussion about
reformatting and starting over since this is the first time I'm going to
attempt it?
Thanks!
Chopper
6 answers Last reply
More about reformat home upgrade

    You can do a clean install using the XP Upgrade CD but in order to do so you
    must have qualifying media as during setup it will state this is an upgrade
    version and requires proof of a previous OS in order to install and ask you
    to insert the media. In other words, while you don't need WinMe installed
    on the hard drive, you do need the CD for the purpose mentioned above. Any
    qualifying media well do, if you don't have a WinME CD, if you have a
    Windows 98 or even a Windows 95 CD, they can serve the purpose.

    If not, you might want to check Ebay for inexpensive version of any of the
    above to allow you to continue to use the upgrade version. Other than that,
    you would need a full version of XP in order to install clean. The upgrade
    CD installs the full version of XP but because you purchased an upgrade
    version, either a previous OS is required to be installed on the hard drive
    or you must have some qualifying media from a previous Windows setup.

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Chopper" <Chopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 3 year old Compaq Athlon 1.1 that I want to slick and start clean.
    > I don't have any disks that may have come with the rig originally. I
    > upgraded from ME to XP Home about a year ago and I do have XP Home
    > 'Upgrade'
    > disk.
    > Is there a full, bootable OS on the disk that I can use to start from
    > scratch?
    > That is, does the upgrade disk also have a full OS on it?
    > Or, was the upgrade disk just enough to upgrade?
    > And, can anyone point me to any web sites with good discussion about
    > reformatting and starting over since this is the first time I'm going to
    > attempt it?
    > Thanks!
    > Chopper

    Great info, all!
    Thank you very much.
    I thought I at least had an old Win 95 disk (or maybe 3.1 floppies) around
    here, but no joy. I should be able to scare up an old disk without too much
    trouble. Thanks again.

    Hi Chopper,

    The WinXP Upgrade CD contains the exact same files as the full
    version. The difference is the Upgrade version performs a compliance
    check for proof of a qualifying version of Windows. As long as the
    WinME CD is NOT a restore CD there should not be a problem performing
    a clean install. If not WinME will have to be installed first then
    upgraded with WinXP.

    If instructions on performing a clean Install take a look at this
    article.

    Regards,
    Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
    http://dts-l.org/

    Chopper wrote:
    > I have a 3 year old Compaq Athlon 1.1 that I want to
    > slick and start clean. I don't have any disks that may
    > have come with the rig originally. I upgraded from ME to
    > XP Home about a year ago and I do have XP Home 'Upgrade'
    > disk.
    > Is there a full, bootable OS on the disk that I can use
    > to start from scratch?
    > That is, does the upgrade disk also have a full OS on it?
    > Or, was the upgrade disk just enough to upgrade?
    > And, can anyone point me to any web sites with good
    > discussion about reformatting and starting over since
    > this is the first time I'm going to attempt it?
    > Thanks!
    > Chopper

    To start over again Chopper you will need your windows ME disc. The XP
    upgrade is simply that, an upgrade. You would first need to format your hard
    drive then install ME and then upgrade to xp using your upgrade disc.
    There is nothing stopping you installing xp using your upgrade disc but, at
    some point, it will ask for your windows ME disc. Without the ME disc you
    will be unable to proceed any further.
    As to formatting you could visit my website at:

    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

    Click on the WinXPFaq button and take a look at question 7. You might also
    like to take a look at question 85 'how do I install windows xp' This answer
    does assume that you have a full retail version of xp but it will give you
    an idea of what happens and what screens are available when you install the
    operating system. Either way formatting and installing are not difficult
    tasks so long as you have everything prepared before hand and you have any
    necessary third party drivers available just in case the one supplied with
    xp doesn't work. In particular modem drivers.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm
    "Chopper" <Chopper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a 3 year old Compaq Athlon 1.1 that I want to slick and start clean.
    > I don't have any disks that may have come with the rig originally. I
    > upgraded from ME to XP Home about a year ago and I do have XP Home
    > 'Upgrade'
    > disk.
    > Is there a full, bootable OS on the disk that I can use to start from
    > scratch?
    > That is, does the upgrade disk also have a full OS on it?
    > Or, was the upgrade disk just enough to upgrade?
    > And, can anyone point me to any web sites with good discussion about
    > reformatting and starting over since this is the first time I'm going to
    > attempt it?
    > Thanks!
    > Chopper

    Umm, John, two things:
    1. I don't think you need ME INSTALLED? Mine simply asked for
    an earlier version of windows, I think it was. The only
    confusing part was being sure when to put the CD in the drive,
    but it worked first time. Zero problems.

    2. He doesn't need ME specifically? Most any version of windows
    will suffice, won't it? I've never heard of the upgrades being
    version speciic, an dsince he doesn't have his ME CD,s well ...
    he can use whatever he can get his hands on, right? He WILL have
    to own one, in order to do any further installs, repairs, etc.,
    so I don't see why ANY windows version wouldn't work. It's quite
    possible he has 98 or 95 laying around. Me, I have the full
    progression from pre3.1, whatever that was called, up to XP Pro
    and Home, which both came with new machines AND a non-bastardized
    CD of the OS's for my 2 most current machines. Hmm, wonder if
    there's a market for an old 8 MHz hard-sectored Z89/ 90k floppy
    with CP/M? <g>

    Pop

    Chopper wrote:
    > I have a 3 year old Compaq Athlon 1.1 that I want to slick and start clean.
    > I don't have any disks that may have come with the rig originally. I
    > upgraded from ME to XP Home about a year ago and I do have XP Home 'Upgrade'
    > disk.
    > Is there a full, bootable OS on the disk that I can use to start from
    > scratch?
    > That is, does the upgrade disk also have a full OS on it?
    > Or, was the upgrade disk just enough to upgrade?
    > And, can anyone point me to any web sites with good discussion about
    > reformatting and starting over since this is the first time I'm going to
    > attempt it?
    > Thanks!
    > Chopper

    It's quite possible to perform a clean installation using the
    Upgrade CD, provided you have the true installation CD for the earlier
    OS.

    Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
    is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
    installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
    "Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
    true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
    files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

    Alternatively, or especially if all you have is an OEM Recovery CD
    for the earlier OS, you can even start the upgrade from within the
    current Win98/Me/NT/2K installation, and still elect to perform a
    clean installation, to include formatting the drive. In this case,
    there's no further request for the qualifying OS's installation CD,
    because the installation routing "remembers" that you started from
    within the qualifying OS. This process is more time-consuming, but
    you get the same results: a clean installation of WinXP.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm