Sign in with
Your question

AMD claims Intel PC the fastest ever!

Last response: in CPUs
November 3, 2006 1:27:17 PM

Just something funny....look at the computer that AMD/ATI's site is labeled as the '"Best Gaming PC" 2006'.

he he

I guess those in charge of the merge haven't quite caught on yet.
November 3, 2006 1:28:23 PM

Haha, been posted before, but thanks anyways. Always nice for a laugh.
November 3, 2006 1:49:37 PM

Intel needs to show some love towards AMD too :( 
Related resources
November 3, 2006 2:08:22 PM

It's funny that not only is there an X6800 as the CPU, but they are using the XBX as the mobo and not an ATI chipset crossfire.
November 3, 2006 2:24:05 PM

yea thats about a week old but still funny. they'll get rid of all that soon enough. they still have to endorse crossfire on intel for now since its making them money. obviously, they don't need to call it the fastest computer...
a c 102 à CPUs
November 3, 2006 2:29:24 PM

I don't think that's going to happen as Intel's "ihateamd" password debacle at a trade show demonstrated.
November 3, 2006 2:30:30 PM

At least we know that AMD isn't in denial!
a c 102 à CPUs
November 3, 2006 2:37:38 PM

Not quite, but they would love to stuff them into a small box in the market that's just big enough to keep the DOJ off of their back- kind of like how MSFT funded Apple in the late 1990s. It was a major embarrassment to Intel that AMD set the x86 ISA for the next 15 years and to add injury to insult, they also went from 0% server market share in 2000 to nearly a quarter today, making Intel's extremely expensive Itanium development basically a dud.
November 3, 2006 2:38:27 PM

Hey, thats actually not a bad idea... only problem is slave trade is kind of outdated... must be better uses for their kids...

Maybe keep them to work as janitors, or mow Intel's nice green lawns (or maybe they have blue lawns...)
November 3, 2006 2:43:26 PM

Quote:
Hey, thats actually not a bad idea... only problem is slave trade is kind of outdated... must be better uses for their kids...

Maybe keep them to work as janitors, or mow Intel's nice green lawns (or maybe they have blue lawns...)

O.o..... run away.....[/monty python]
November 3, 2006 2:48:03 PM

Quote:
Just something funny....look at the computer that AMD/ATI's site is labeled as the '"Best Gaming PC" 2006'.

he he

I guess those in charge of the merge haven't quite caught on yet.

There's 2 funny things there. Firstly they're using an Intel CPU, secondly they're using an Intel mainboard.

Some people....I despair!
November 3, 2006 2:54:39 PM

Quote:
i for one think its a great thing that amd can allow this ad,i think its very mature of them and it shows they are confident in future designs.

amd wins the bigger man award of the decade,intel wins the" whiner soiled diaper award "of the millinea :twisted:

Good points there! Takes a big man to admit you're wrong.

It's similar to the Scenario when MMM admitted in his blog that he had been wrong about C2D and that it really is a great architecture. I was very impressed by him when i read that, considering how adamant he had been that AM2 would kick the crap outta C2D.
November 3, 2006 3:03:50 PM

Hah... I really hope BaronMatrix doesn't get ahold of this.

Anyway, at least AMD is being honest with it's customers :D 
November 3, 2006 3:04:16 PM

Yep a week old but still makes me smile :) 
November 3, 2006 3:47:13 PM

Err what? No, Intel said all along that clock speed didn't matter! :lol: 
November 3, 2006 3:51:36 PM

Quote:

I actually have a picture on my computer of the Intel CEO kneeling down and apologising because Netburst didn't reach 4ghz.

Anyone know how i can upload photos?
November 3, 2006 3:53:52 PM

Quote:

well ,prescott debuted as a cpu slash burner plate for those who like to cook as they game,so it worked out well :twisted: i almost got one to use as a coffee warmer/floor heater. :wink: aww who cares that the tdp was well above what intel said it would be,and performance was well below what they said,its only hype :twisted:

Northwood was a much better use of Netburst than Prescott. Imagine Northwood P4s on 65nm with 2mb L2 cache, i think they'd be very impressive. Especially considering mine (2.8 400FSB) runs perfectly fine at 3.6ghz on the stock cooler!
November 3, 2006 3:59:21 PM

Quote:

I actually have a picture on my computer of the Intel CEO kneeling down and apologising because Netburst didn't reach 4ghz.

Anyone know how i can upload photos?
as a mattuh o fackly yes :wink:
http://img100.imageshack.us/

here ya go, found it!

Notice the smirk the guy in the seat has.
November 3, 2006 4:01:54 PM

Quote:

well ,prescott debuted as a cpu slash burner plate for those who like to cook as they game,so it worked out well :twisted: i almost got one to use as a coffee warmer/floor heater. :wink: aww who cares that the tdp was well above what intel said it would be,and performance was well below what they said,its only hype :twisted: I have a Prescott and when I game it heats my room up (not joking) :(  .
November 3, 2006 4:03:43 PM

He SHOULD be kneeling down and apologizing for all of the Netburst CPUs that he sold while the Netburst reign of terror was in play! :evil: 
November 3, 2006 4:03:53 PM

Quote:
wasnt netburst said to scale to 10ghz?

Was intended (notice that word, intended) to reach 10ghz. But Intel came across many problems, such as heat leakage.
November 3, 2006 4:04:38 PM

Quote:
He SHOULD be kneeling down and apologizing for all of the Netburst CPUs that he sold while the Netburst reign of terror was in play! :evil: 

Netburst only started to appear bad when K8 was released, the Northwood owned the K7.
November 3, 2006 4:07:14 PM

Quote:

Netburst only started to appear bad when K8 was released, the Northwood owned the K7.
True. But it's annoying that Intel brainwashed everybody in the user community to think that MHz = speed.
November 3, 2006 4:22:22 PM

Quote:
they were selling hype :evil:  i wonder if Amd werent as savvy as they are if intel would mislead its consumer base for a buck :roll:
that makes intel the slimy schemer of the bunch;thank gawd for amd or wed be taking it up the azz like stupid sheep.

intel wins the sociopathic marketing award of the century as well as the soiled diaper award of the millenia. :twisted:
I agree with you, but if I were going to buy a CPU right now I'd still buy Intel (for the 1st time in the past 8 years). The C2D seems to be a sign that they are changing the way they do things. It's exactly contrary to Netburst philosophy.

We're lucky AMD and Intel are battling it out, because it keeps both of them honest (e.g. K8 = wakeup call for Intel as much as C2D = wakeup call for AMD).
November 3, 2006 4:29:24 PM

I'm kinda sad though, I liked being able to brag about my netburst computer...

My CPU generates more heat per cm^2 than the sun... you think you contribute to global warming... wait until I take my side panel off =P
November 3, 2006 4:35:02 PM

Everyone hypes their marketing, not much you can do about that. What do you think marketing is? My company has one of the best marketing departments in the world, and it actually takes quite a bit of work.

Whatever sells the product... not to mention the average consumer gets taken in by marketing, not by actual proof. When half the people who own a computer probably don't even know what a CPU is, how else do you appeal to them... just tell them what you have is the best.
November 3, 2006 4:44:33 PM

But usually humble statements don't make the same impact on consumers nor be as memorable as outrageous ones, same with media. The news also sells overhyped stories and scandals just to get ratings, it is technically the truth, but gilted over with so much gold that you'd become blind looking for the truth...

They all know human nature too well, not all of us can be like you who truly appreciates honesty and humbleness.
November 3, 2006 4:49:01 PM

I haven't seen those commercials (don't watch TV very much), but they sound nearly as bad as those Mac vs PC commercials (which make me want to shoot myself they are so incredibly bad).
November 3, 2006 4:51:44 PM

Quote:
But usually humble statements don't make the same impact on consumers nor be as memorable as outrageous ones, same with media. The news also sells overhyped stories and scandals just to get ratings, it is technically the truth, but gilted over with so much gold that you'd become blind looking for the truth...

They all know human nature too well, not all of us can be like you who truly appreciates honesty and humbleness.

i am fighting a loosing battle on this one :wink: you are absolutely correct,but i for one hate it,i hate it so bad it makes me ill.i guess that why i choose not to dwell on it much,its corruption of the soul plain and simple.
Preach it, vern! Wait... stop... you're going to make me depressed! (time for a dose of Soma)
November 3, 2006 5:05:13 PM

I've only seen a couple... but the one I saw was with the PC and Mac guy holding hands together...

That was enough to disturb me away from those commericals...
November 3, 2006 5:19:10 PM

Yeah... that + commercial where PC is coughing because it has a "virus" and the Mac doesn't. That one pisses me off!

Plus, if you have actually used a mac for an extended period of time, you realize that they are NOT as stable as Apple would like you to believe. True, they are built on a rock-solid frame, but the GUI can crash and cause you to reboot (it's happened to me quite frequently on G5 workstations).

That + they blamed Microsoft for their problem where they shipped iPods with a Trojan. What a weak way to not take responsibility (and weasel around like they always do).

If you REALLY care about uptime, just run FreeBSD or something. (you can't do anything useful with it without being a master, but dang is that uptime good!)
November 3, 2006 5:55:10 PM

i personally thought they were all fairly humorous, enough to give a chuckle at one point or another for each one... theyre all on apples site anyhow.
November 3, 2006 6:26:36 PM

ATi wants their graphics cards sold, they dont want to play AMDs stupid childish games.
November 3, 2006 6:32:08 PM

Quote:
ATi wants their graphics cards sold, they dont want to play AMDs stupid childish games.

actually ATi is AMD. They are not playing childish games, but are making more profit.
November 3, 2006 6:35:35 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but at what price point? In my LAN party group (around 200people) I was one of maybe 12 people that ran Northwood chips (I got some sw33t deals on them). Everyone else ran Athalon XPs (except for the two people that ran Apples). If you were willing to sacrifice a few percentage points of CPU power you could save a lot of money and spend it on better GFX and HDs. Performance/$ is king. I hope AMD hasn't forgotten how to do that after playing kind of the hill for a few years but with the current price war you can do pretty good on either side of the fence right now :) 
November 3, 2006 6:50:04 PM

The thing that pisses me off about them was how they obviously lie to the consumers... and the superiority people with macs get...

They're opening an Apple store at the mall near my house, if you hear in local news of that same store going up in a blaze of fire and brimstone, don't look at me...

<.<
>.>
<.<
November 3, 2006 7:03:35 PM

Quote:
It's funny that not only is there an X6800 as the CPU, but they are using the XBX as the mobo and not an ATI chipset crossfire.

Not funny just shows that Intel uses its CPU design chipsets to hold their mobo's as the highest though put. Other chipset makers Nvidia and ATI are forced to use a lower thoughput until Intel moves to the next higher thoughput or an amount of time. This is the reason both ATI and Nvidia have released chipsets for AMD CPU's first for sometime. The end result is you pay more for motherboard given an advantage by Intel due to unscrewpulas pratices. Think if Microsoft made all browsers but IE work on half the bandwidth or office suites other than MS office use only half the performance of the CPU. Intel's is doing just this with their chipsets. My biggest fear is AMD will use ATI's chipset in this same way.
November 3, 2006 7:07:23 PM

Quote:
Plus, if you have actually used a mac for an extended period of time, you realize that they are NOT as stable as Apple would like you to believe. True, they are built on a rock-solid frame, but the GUI can crash and cause you to reboot (it's happened to me quite frequently on G5 workstations).

This is something I often get annoyed at also. Sure, apple makes good products, but they aren't AMAZING. That's all hype. I did tech support and I got calls from people with messed up macs every day. If you actually try to use a mac the way a typical person uses a windows machine it get's totally trashed. If you get a mac preloaded with all the software you need and only isntall software from shiney boxes from your local mac store then, sure, it runs pretty much flawlessly. You can do the same thing with Linux or Windows (I've replaced WinNT and Win2k desktop machines at banks and hospitals that haven't been restarted in years, they were just too slow with too many different hardware platforms to run the new centralized management software). When you start installing and uninstalling crappy software on your computer and mess with all the settings you'll eventually screw it up, no matter what your OS is. Good hardware: check. An apple IS a PC. They don't even use their own CPU anymore, they just pick good components and test them like any other high-end OEM. Good software? Double check. Invincible? No. Pretty? Sure. Overpriced? Absolutely.

My biggest complaint about apple though? Error messages. Error messages on in MacOS are MEANINGLESS. The latest "error message" I encountered was... a flashing "mac face" icon at bootup. Appearantly this is roughly equivilant to "ntlrd missing" in windows speak. It was a freaking flashing icon. No words at all. And when you do get a text error message it ussually says something like ~"It didn't work, try again." At which point I would have to run the user (over the telephone) back through everything they did and check all their settings to figure out what is wrong. On a windows machine they say "I'm getting an error 0xCCC0E and it says that..." BAM! Problem identified (Outlook can't connect to the incoming mail server. Check for internet connectivity then check for software firewalls. Can't remember that? You can easily look it up anytime, cuz that's what error codes are for.) and then solved within 3 minutes. I don't even wait for them to finish their sentence.
November 3, 2006 7:39:25 PM

Holy crap... there ARE sane people in the world! Thanks for that post, man.

No matter what, you get what you pay for. Sure some PCs aren't as nice as a Mac workstation, but these are PCs in the $600 price range. If you spend $2,000 on a PC from Alienware (or some other high-end PC manufacturer... AW might have gone downhill these days, I don't know), it's going to be comparable to a Mac workstation.

And yes, Mac OS tries to limit the error messages so as to not confuse users and make their OS more intuitive. However, this means that if you want to understand what the error messages mean, you usually have to be telepathic.

Let's look at a case study here:

I had to build workstations and a file server for the Advertising department at the last company I worked for. There were 16 people in the department, they use OK-sized files (so bandwidth is important when the smallest image in an ad is 20mb), they print a lot, etc. So, since they think they are "creative individuals" (they're not... they have templates for everything and never deviate from the templates pretty much), and because of Apple's clever advertising, they all INSIST on having Macs.

My boss and I thought about forcing them to use Windows, but there would be a revolt so we decide to humor them. Since Apple's networking protocols (if you can even call "Appletalk" a networking protocol) produce a lot of broadcast packets (and we had to keep appletalk enabled due to legacy printers), we had to 1st separate the Macs into their own VLAN.

I have to admit, I was impressed with the shiny cases and sweet-looking keyboards when I opened the boxes. However, when it came down to actually getting anything to work...

We had horrible problems with integration (they aren't compatible with ANYTHING!), networking issues, stability issues (e.g. "kernel freaks" as the Mac Heads call them), etc. I called Apple about stability issues, and they just gave me the "reinstall OS, we're not going to help you" spiel. I reinstalled, it didn't help. I think it was a hardware issue (whenever it happened I could hear fans spinning up like the CPU was overheating) but they wouldn't do jack.

Plus, I was expecting ROCK SOLID stability on the lot of these workstations. However, I experienced problems within the first 2 weeks of testing on every single one of them. These problems ranged from weird error messages to the "kernel freaks" as mentioned above.

After that project, I can only conclude that they are great, shiny looking computers that are only good for non-corporate environments. If you need to integrate well with anything that's "non-mac" you are in for serious problems.
November 4, 2006 5:09:50 AM

Quote:
and at every concievable turn intel was trying to undercut amd or run right over them.they have finally put out a real product after 4 yrs of garbage,and its really awesome,but they are still bloodthirsty cutthroat d!ckheads.
I get what's best for me....companies scruples aside. It's like with music. I will admit, that i'm against homosexuality...bigtime.(oh-oh...arguements will ensue now). Yet, i still respect and enjoy Elton John's music/Freddie Mercury(Queen)/Rob Halford(Judas Priest). So, i don't condone their lifestyles, or ideals....yet i still support them. Reminds me of when i started my job in 1991. My company builds seat for GM pick-ups. My third week there, my car(Nissan) croaked, so i went car-shopping. The best car for me, was a '91 Honda Civic CX(Hatch). I got quite the teasing at work because i bought foreign, and we supply domestic. One guy said to me."ah a Honda...they're good cars, but"... and i said , " yeah they are great cars, but what?" He didn't know what to say. Needless to say, that car was amazing, and i drove it into the ground( and embarrassed many domestic car owners in races). :p  I don't buy into the "routing for the underdog" mentality... i route for me, and what is best to serve me...no more, no less. I could care less whether Intel is using monopolistic practices, that makes them smart businessmen. Business isn't about pleasing people, it's about making money(period).Look at THG. If they didn't make money from traffic, advertising, we wouldn't be here right now. They aren't providing this website/forum for our enjoyment....they make money. They aren't going to buy server upon server, and it come out of their pockets....(/rant)..Sorry..too much rye. :wink:
!