SD Card Got Corrupt In PPC

February 14, 2005 3:22:30 PM

Hi All,

I have a Dell Axim X5 (32 MB RAM) with Windows Mobile
2003. When I went on a trip recently, I was taking
pictures with a Kodak digital camera. The pictures were
stored in a 256 MB SD Card. When the card started filling
up (I was also taking some video shots), I decided to
move the videos out to a CF card.

Since the Axim X5 has both the slots (and I was looking
forward to utilizing this feature some day), I decided to
insert both the cards inside and transfer the video
(Quicktime) files from the SD card to the CF card. The
transfer took a long time, but completed "successfully".
Or so I thought...

After the transfer, I re-inserted the SD card into my
camera and went on my merry way, taking pictures of the
family on this vacation. Little did I know of the
disaster awaiting me.

When I got back home and decided to transfer the pictures
from the SD Card to my PC, I noticed that Windows was not
able to recognize any of the files in there. The files
were showing up as 499 MB each (!!) and there were a ton
of extra TMP files in there (each a few Gigs in size). In
other words, the whole file system on the card was
corrupt. The DCIM folder was in excess of 200 GB!

The weird thing was that I was able to view the pictures
on the camera itself, but was not able to transfer
anything to Windows (I have XP Pro).

So it looks like the camera was able to interpret the
pictures, but not the PC. And this happened right after I
did that transfer on my Dell Axim. I know this because
everything worked up until then.

I guess what's done is done -- I'm never using an SD card
on the Axim again. My question is, is there any way of
salvaging these pictures (about 49 of our vacation
pictures) by manipulating... something? Has anyone else
had this totally bizarre issue?

Thanks for listening. And I would appreciate any help I
can get in the matter.

Regards,
Pat

More about : card corrupt ppc

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:00:52 PM

Many cameras also come with a USB cable for uploading the pictures to the
PC, using the camera rather than a card reader. did yours?? since the
camera still reads the pictures, it should be able to interpret them to
upload to the computer. you don't say how you are trying to transfer the
files to the PC - do you have a card reader? are you using the camera? take
the SD card to your local drugstore with a picture kiosk and see if their
machine can read and print the pictures.?

"P-Chip" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi All,
|
| I have a Dell Axim X5 (32 MB RAM) with Windows Mobile
| 2003. When I went on a trip recently, I was taking
| pictures with a Kodak digital camera. The pictures were
| stored in a 256 MB SD Card. When the card started filling
| up (I was also taking some video shots), I decided to
| move the videos out to a CF card.
|
| Since the Axim X5 has both the slots (and I was looking
| forward to utilizing this feature some day), I decided to
| insert both the cards inside and transfer the video
| (Quicktime) files from the SD card to the CF card. The
| transfer took a long time, but completed "successfully".
| Or so I thought...
|
| After the transfer, I re-inserted the SD card into my
| camera and went on my merry way, taking pictures of the
| family on this vacation. Little did I know of the
| disaster awaiting me.
|
| When I got back home and decided to transfer the pictures
| from the SD Card to my PC, I noticed that Windows was not
| able to recognize any of the files in there. The files
| were showing up as 499 MB each (!!) and there were a ton
| of extra TMP files in there (each a few Gigs in size). In
| other words, the whole file system on the card was
| corrupt. The DCIM folder was in excess of 200 GB!
|
| The weird thing was that I was able to view the pictures
| on the camera itself, but was not able to transfer
| anything to Windows (I have XP Pro).
|
| So it looks like the camera was able to interpret the
| pictures, but not the PC. And this happened right after I
| did that transfer on my Dell Axim. I know this because
| everything worked up until then.
|
| I guess what's done is done -- I'm never using an SD card
| on the Axim again. My question is, is there any way of
| salvaging these pictures (about 49 of our vacation
| pictures) by manipulating... something? Has anyone else
| had this totally bizarre issue?
|
| Thanks for listening. And I would appreciate any help I
| can get in the matter.
|
| Regards,
| Pat
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:48:30 PM

"P-Chip" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> So it looks like the camera was able to interpret the
> pictures, but not the PC. And this happened right after I
> did that transfer on my Dell Axim. I know this because
> everything worked up until then.

I would be more apt to believe the card was not inserted into the camera
with a good solid seat - after all, the camera was writing files to the
card, not the PPC. Had you removed the card from the camera much before
this time? Reformat the card in the PC (not the camera) and tr it again -
it would be nice if your could reproduce the cause of the error. As it is
your camera may have just bit the dust and wrote trash to the card in the
process - you do not mention if yo have validated the camera's operation.

The bad part is that you lost some irreplaceable pictures. There are some
really good salvage programs on the market for SD cards, maybe you would
like to try a trial of one of these to see if it is worthwhile.

As far as using sd cards on a PPC, well, I have used them for years with
great success. I had only one card to fail, but formatting it brought it
back to life. Even then I was able to reclaim most of the data through such
a tool as I describe.

Good luck, but check out the camera first thing - it was the last writer of
the card, and if there was a problem it should have given an error.
February 14, 2005 6:48:31 PM

Thanks for your response.

I agree that there could have been a lot of possible
reasons for the SD card getting corrupt. But the reason
my theory even took shape is that before that day, and
after that day, I never had that problem. The only thing
different about that day was the throwing of my Dell in
the mix. Also, the PPC had to have done some writes to
the card, since I "transferred" the files to the CF card,
in effect deleting them from the SD. I should probably
try to reproduce the error, just in case. It's just that
since that day, I've had very little desire to play
around with my Dell's SD slot.

You said that there are some really nice salvage programs
for SD cards on the market. Could you possibly direct me
to some? As it happens, I still have the SD card in the
same state. I refused to reformat it because of all the
pictures in there, in the hope that some day I might be
able to salvage them...

Thanks!
Pat

Anonymous
February 14, 2005 8:02:32 PM

> You said that there are some really nice salvage programs
> for SD cards on the market. Could you possibly direct me
> to some? As it happens, I still have the SD card in the
> same state. I refused to reformat it because of all the
> pictures in there, in the hope that some day I might be
> able to salvage them...

Sure:

http://www.filerecoverytools.com/products/fr_sd/ (I used this one)

http://www.panterasoft.com/file-recovery/ ( I suggest trying a demo of this
one, since you have both CF and SD cards)

Tons more if you google, but that will get you started. Also a warning -
most of the time a demo on these types programs will show you what you can
recover without actually providing recover functionality. But at least you
will know where you stand.

There are some free alternatives, but I did not have much success with those
on earlier CF cards. Things may have changed since, I am not sure.

Good Luck.
February 19, 2005 2:21:34 AM

P-Chip wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
>
> I agree that there could have been a lot of possible
> reasons for the SD card getting corrupt. But the reason
> my theory even took shape is that before that day, and
> after that day, I never had that problem. The only thing
> different about that day was the throwing of my Dell in
> the mix. Also, the PPC had to have done some writes to
> the card, since I "transferred" the files to the CF card,
> in effect deleting them from the SD. I should probably
> try to reproduce the error, just in case. It's just that
> since that day, I've had very little desire to play
> around with my Dell's SD slot.
>
> You said that there are some really nice salvage programs
> for SD cards on the market. Could you possibly direct me
> to some? As it happens, I still have the SD card in the
> same state. I refused to reformat it because of all the
> pictures in there, in the hope that some day I might be
> able to salvage them...
>
> Thanks!
> Pat

Pat,

Here's a free program I found for salvaging SD card data and
images. I haven't tried it yet. I'm just keeping it for the
day I might have a problem like yours.

----------------
PC INSPECTORTsmart recovery
http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welco...
is the new data recovery program from CONVAR for Flash CardT, Smart MediaT,
SONY Memory StickT, IBMT Micro Drive, Multimedia Card, Secure Digital Card
or any other data carrier for digital cameras..

If you have unintentionally deleted or formatted pictures, videos or sound
files on your data carrier or have pulled it out during a write operation,
no matter - PC INSPECTORT smart recovery can easily, quickly and absolutely
reliably reconstruct the lost data.

Good luck,
Scott
!