Sign in with
Your question

building a Computer

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2006 2:30:05 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have a question or 2 to ask. Well i'm on the verge to build a pc, so far i have:

Antec 500watt Powersupply
Biostar P4M800 Pro M7 Socket 775
512Mb DDR2 Ram
300Gb Maxtor Sata Hd drive
Lg Dvd Rw Drive
Floppy Drive
And A Cheap Case

But my question relates to what kind of processor to go with, i was looking at the Intel Celeron D 352 3.2Ghz with 512Kb L2 Cache. I just need something that will work for media encoding/transcoding, i don't play games at all so that don't apply. so do you think the celeron would be okay?

More about : building computer

November 3, 2006 3:00:46 PM

Well, you are clearly on a severely tight budget.
If you already have the parts you listed, then the Celeron D352 is as good a choice as any for what you want to do. At least it has 512K cache and is built on a 65nm process.
It won't be long before the Vista operating system arrives. Your proposed system will not work with it (if you care).
Any chance you could spring for something like this:
Intel BOXDG965RYCK LGA775 G965 Conroe $110+6 11/01/06
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813121048
I understand that it adds another $60 or so to your system. It's well worth it.
November 3, 2006 3:22:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, i didn't purchase anything on my list as of yet, i just relized that i wrote that i have the products but i don't, sorry for the confusion. i'am more then happy to price match and take any suggestions. But like said on the above post, i'm just looking for something that can do encoding/transcoding at a pretty good speed, i'm not at all into gaming..
Related resources
November 3, 2006 3:58:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, i didn't purchase anything on my list as of yet, i just relized that i wrote that i have the products but i don't, sorry for the confusion. i'am more then happy to price match and take any suggestions. But like said on the above post, i'm just looking for something that can do encoding/transcoding at a pretty good speed, i'm not at all into gaming..
OK. Two issues will help greatly in keeping the cost of a new system down, no gaming and no overclocking. You can buy a motherboard with modern integrated graphics and spend virtually $0 on grahics. You can get a speedy system using value-ram which is reliable but much cheaper than "enthusiast" products. Intel processors are a better price/performance choice for what you want to do. The motherboard I listed is current/new, and will run your choice of cpus from Celeron to Conroe. More $ = more speed.
For memory, more $ = more capacity. Get a pair of DDR2-533 1.8volt value ram sticks in whatever size you can afford. 512 (2x256) is the absolute minimum.
November 3, 2006 4:59:01 PM

okay, excellent man.. thanks alot. no i'm not really into overclocking and with most of the 775 motherboards are capable for conroe so an upgrade in time shouldn't be too complicated, will all cpu's handle win vista when it's released?
November 3, 2006 5:13:30 PM

Skimp on the PSU and beef up on CPU if you're going for encoding.

Perhaps go AM2 and get a 3800+ X2?
November 3, 2006 5:33:41 PM

Quote:
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and have a question or 2 to ask. Well i'm on the verge to build a pc, so far i have:

But my question relates to what kind of processor to go with, i was looking at the Intel Celeron D 352 3.2Ghz with 512Kb L2 Cache. I just need something that will work for media encoding/transcoding, i don't play games at all so that don't apply. so do you think the celeron would be okay?

DON'T use a Celeron for a multimedia computer! The Celeron does not have the multimedia extensions needed for some encoding programs such as CCE and HC, the system will just crash. Also it is inefficient due to cache size and design. A Pentium or mainline Athlon is required. I strongly recommend a Core2Due, the E6300 at least, since it is much much faster than any other budget CPU for encoding speed. My C2D encodes MPG2 FOUR times faster than does my P4 530.
November 3, 2006 5:48:08 PM

Or try (essentially) the same motherboard in a different size... MicroATX:
click here

Match that up with a case with the included power supply and you will have an elegant and powerful system:
click here
November 3, 2006 5:57:35 PM

wow thanks guys for all the suggestions, i wasn't sure if celeron was good for multimedia or not, hate to ask this but which is 100% better for encoding Amd or Intel hate to start a war but just need to know? i was looking at the Athlon 64 3800+ or the P4 531 and doing some price checks on some canadian sites for the Conroe..

Thanks again for all the quick help
November 3, 2006 6:01:32 PM

Quote:
okay, excellent man.. thanks alot. no i'm not really into overclocking and with most of the 775 motherboards are capable for conroe so an upgrade in time shouldn't be too complicated, will all cpu's handle win vista when it's released?
Yes, but for the coding work you want to do you will want at least a Pentuim4. Obviously a PentiumD would be better, a Conroe better still. Budget is always the problem.

MesaRectifier wrote:
"Skimp on the PSU and beef up on CPU if you're going for encoding."

You can get a good quality psu for as little as $57:
FSP AX450-PN 450watt 12v:2x18a PSU 20+4pin $49+8 10/21/06
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954
But I think his point is to stress the importance in cpu throughput.
November 3, 2006 6:07:49 PM

Yeah, pretty much my point was not to spend absolutely loads on a PSU when you could probably run that system off a crappy £15 PSU.
November 3, 2006 6:15:15 PM

Quote:
wow thanks guys for all the suggestions, i wasn't sure if celeron was good for multimedia or not, hate to ask this but which is 100% better for encoding Amd or Intel hate to start a war but just need to know? i was looking at the Athlon 64 3800+ or the P4 531 and doing some price checks on some canadian sites for the Conroe..

Thanks again for all the quick help
I don't think you will start a war...
The problem I have is that we started off talking about a Celeron with a $40 motherboard, and now you will be getting responses centered around Conroe vs. AMD X2.
Before Conroe, AMD was the only logical choice for most enthusiasts due to its superior gaming performance vs. any Pentium. The one place where Intel chips were as good (and often better) than AMD was in encoding speed. Otherwise, Intels were clocked fast and ran very hot, a poor choice.
Now that Conroe is here, everyone wants one (almost everyone :wink: ) because it is both faster and runs cooler than AMDs. The issue boils down to money.
If you are building a new system with a $180 cpu and are not relying on legacy parts to complete it- get a Conroe. Otherwise your choices are not so obvious.
November 3, 2006 6:51:39 PM

Thanks Again, know how do i tell what hardware is compatible with windows Vista? i know there are alot of compatibility issues right know that microsoft is trying to fix but i just need to know before buying all my hardware and finding out it doesn't work.
November 3, 2006 7:15:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks Again, know how do i tell what hardware is compatible with windows Vista? i know there are alot of compatibility issues right know that microsoft is trying to fix but i just need to know before buying all my hardware and finding out it doesn't work.

The Conroe/Allendale with any supporting chipset is highly compatible with Vista. The concern is the video card, you do need a decent gaming (or presumably pro graphics) card to take advantage of Aero; and memory, 2 gigs seem to be needed. . My own system, an E6400 overclocked to 3.2 Ghz on a P5W DH with 2 gigs memory gives a 5.9 in WEI except for the hard drive, a 7200.10, which is only 5.7 or 5.8.
November 3, 2006 7:37:26 PM

okay thank you
November 3, 2006 7:57:00 PM

Quote:
To keep it simple, just about any socket 939, AM2 or 775 motherboard/cpu will work fine with Vista. The video is more the issue. The integrated graphics 6100/6150 (AMD) or x3000 (Intel) will work fine. The IGP on your original post motherboard is too slow. 1GB of ram will work, although most people will say get 2 (not their money!). For more info on this, look at the Vista threads on this forum as well as Microsoft.com which has a list of compatible hardware.
November 3, 2006 8:52:43 PM

Btw, what's your budget? No one has asked. This will help a lot to come up with a system that will fit your needs at the lowest price possible.
November 3, 2006 9:17:24 PM

well i do have a very steep budget, i have approx 300Cad so approx 250Usd for a motherboard, cpu and ram, but 512mb will do fine until christmas then i can upgrade to 1 or 2 gb's, i already have a antec 500watt psu and case. harddrive is a maxtor 300Gb.

Thanks for all the help everyone

back to my first post, wouldn't i be able to upgrade the graphics card so that board would work with vista? Just wondering that's all.
November 3, 2006 9:34:10 PM

NO! It will not.
November 3, 2006 9:35:15 PM

So you need parts suggestions deliverable to Canada?
November 3, 2006 9:51:14 PM

ya man, i need the parts to be delivered to Canada, wish i new people that lived in the Usa because everything is much cheaper there.
November 3, 2006 11:19:39 PM

Quote:
ya man, i need the parts to be delivered to Canada, wish i new people that lived in the Usa because everything is much cheaper there.
I only know of 2 sources that serve Canada, ncix.com and canadacomputers.com. Selection is poor at canadacomputers, and only a little better at ncix.
This is the best I could find at ncix.com:
Asus A8N-VM CSM skt939 motherboard w/6150 graphics $104.72 Cad.
AMD 3200+ skt939 $102.64 Cad.
Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/1G DDR400 $154.10 Cad.
Total $361.46 Cad.
Anybody out there know of a better source?
November 3, 2006 11:27:56 PM

Socket 939, are you gay? DDR? Socket 939? It's like backwards technology central in there! At least with an AM2 3800+ rig you still have DDR2 and some scaleablity...plus you can still get one with a 6150 too.

I know it's cheap, but duude, it'll cost you dear in the long run. Plus if you get sick of that crappy 3200 then there's nowhere left to go without wasting your ca$h.
November 4, 2006 1:42:56 AM

No I'm not gay. I don't need to be insulted either.
The guy has $250. Period. Options in Canada are limited.
Post a better set of parts, priced and available in Canada.
If you can then you're helping out like I am trying to, otherwise,
don't waste my time...
November 4, 2006 6:36:02 AM

Quote:
No I'm not gay. I don't need to be insulted either.

In England I guess that means something a little different to in America, huh.

I only just saw that budget man...well that's pretty tight. That 939 rig is likely the best you'll get (although if encoding is all you worry about I'd cut down to 512mb only) for that price.
November 4, 2006 12:27:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I only just saw that budget man...well that's pretty tight. That 939 rig is likely the best you'll get (although if encoding is all you worry about I'd cut down to 512mb only) for that price.

A complete refurbished system can be had from liata www.liata.com , which is in Mississauga. It's email orders though.
!