Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

iPAQ rx3115: New Service Pack from HP?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 15, 2005 12:55:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I've noticed a new service pack today, SP29213, posted on the HP support
page for the rx3115.

I installed the last service pack SP29213 on this particular PPC before
ANYTHING was loaded on it (i.e., right out of the box).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
The question I have is:

If I backup the PPC using the standard ActiveSynch tool, then install the
service pack, will I then be able to restore from that pre-install
ActiveSynch backup to get the same effective software setup I had before
installing the service pack?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've tried reading the docs that are on the website and included with the
service pack, but they all seem to imply the doom and gloom of a completely
wiped PPC, and none even MENTIONS backing up with the ActiveSync tool
before proceeding.

I remember the days of getting Windows upgrades that didn't include the CD-
ROM drivers you needed to bootstrap the OS install, so I'm a little worried
that 'what I see IS what I'll get'.
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 15, 2005 12:55:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Typically, No, it is not advisable to restore from a pre-upgrade backup.
Actually I should be more emphatic than that. Don't do it. There are
typically registry changes and DLL changes that a restore will 'undo'. They
won't actually rewrite the ROM but will play havoc in most cases. A hard
reset will fix that and take you to the state you were in just after the
update, so no harm, but You'll wind up rebuilding anyway.

That said you can certainly back up PIM info (which it is in Outlook for the
most part anyway), and some programs like Pocket Plus have the option to
backup their configuration settings, so you can restore them after
re-installing the program.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"wvantwiller" <wvantwiller@knickerbocker.com> wrote in message
news:g79Qd.3794$U86.1806@fe40.usenetserver.com...
> I've noticed a new service pack today, SP29213, posted on the HP support
> page for the rx3115.
>
> I installed the last service pack SP29213 on this particular PPC before
> ANYTHING was loaded on it (i.e., right out of the box).
>
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The question I have is:
>
> If I backup the PPC using the standard ActiveSynch tool, then install the
> service pack, will I then be able to restore from that pre-install
> ActiveSynch backup to get the same effective software setup I had before
> installing the service pack?
> --------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I've tried reading the docs that are on the website and included with the
> service pack, but they all seem to imply the doom and gloom of a
completely
> wiped PPC, and none even MENTIONS backing up with the ActiveSync tool
> before proceeding.
>
> I remember the days of getting Windows upgrades that didn't include the
CD-
> ROM drivers you needed to bootstrap the OS install, so I'm a little
worried
> that 'what I see IS what I'll get'.
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 16, 2005 3:18:34 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:#0YJjixEFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> Typically, No, it is not advisable to restore from a pre-upgrade
> backup. Actually I should be more emphatic than that. Don't do it.
> There are typically registry changes and DLL changes that a restore
> will 'undo'. They won't actually rewrite the ROM but will play havoc
> in most cases. A hard reset will fix that and take you to the state
> you were in just after the update, so no harm, but You'll wind up
> rebuilding anyway.
>
> That said you can certainly back up PIM info (which it is in Outlook
> for the most part anyway), and some programs like Pocket Plus have the
> option to backup their configuration settings, so you can restore them
> after re-installing the program.
>

Thanks for the info!

That all makes sense; I just wish HP had seen fit to publish a little
more guidance on their website about the real extent of the work that
would be required to load the service pack and then get everything back
up and running. I just had to replace/changeout hard disks to remedy a
crashed drive, and I'm not looking forward to frittering away yet another
afternoon on this future PPC project.

I'm holding off until I get some more experience with the current setup
and software on the PPC before I begin thinking about wiping it and
having to start out from scratch so soon after just starting out from
scratch to begin with.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 16, 2005 3:18:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Actually it is not that hard with a PPC. I'll assume you use Outlook, so all
the PIM info is there. Look in add remove programs in ActiveSync and you
will see all the software currently on your PPC, with checks if the PPC is
connected.

Pretty much what you do is hard reset and upgrade the machine then delete
your old profile from ActiveSync, but keep the synce'd files folder (that's
an option provided). You start over like you have a new device and set up a
new partnership. That gets all your PIM stuff and main memory My Documents
back (from the desktop sync folder). To reload the apps, go into ad/remove
and one by one check each app you want back and hit OK. It will re-install
from right there. You just need to have any reg codes available to register
the new installation. Make a spreadsheet or DB with the reg info to have it
all together. It's not near as painful as re-building a desktop.

Having something like Pocket Controller makes things a bit easier too. With
it you can copy a reg code from a PC file and paste it into the box on a
virtual copy of your PPC on the desktop screen. Makes entering 20 some
character codes a piece of cake. Worth the money to me just for that
feature.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"wvantwiller" <wvantwiller@knickerbocker.com> wrote in message
news:ujwQd.9006$U86.1486@fe40.usenetserver.com...
> "Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:#0YJjixEFHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:
>
> > Typically, No, it is not advisable to restore from a pre-upgrade
> > backup. Actually I should be more emphatic than that. Don't do it.
> > There are typically registry changes and DLL changes that a restore
> > will 'undo'. They won't actually rewrite the ROM but will play havoc
> > in most cases. A hard reset will fix that and take you to the state
> > you were in just after the update, so no harm, but You'll wind up
> > rebuilding anyway.
> >
> > That said you can certainly back up PIM info (which it is in Outlook
> > for the most part anyway), and some programs like Pocket Plus have the
> > option to backup their configuration settings, so you can restore them
> > after re-installing the program.
> >
>
> Thanks for the info!
>
> That all makes sense; I just wish HP had seen fit to publish a little
> more guidance on their website about the real extent of the work that
> would be required to load the service pack and then get everything back
> up and running. I just had to replace/changeout hard disks to remedy a
> crashed drive, and I'm not looking forward to frittering away yet another
> afternoon on this future PPC project.
>
> I'm holding off until I get some more experience with the current setup
> and software on the PPC before I begin thinking about wiping it and
> having to start out from scratch so soon after just starting out from
> scratch to begin with.
>
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 16, 2005 2:24:16 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"wvantwiller" <wvantwiller@knickerbocker.com> wrote in message
news:g79Qd.3794$U86.1806@fe40.usenetserver.com...
> I've noticed a new service pack today, SP29213, posted on the HP support
> page for the rx3115.
>


The latest ROM upgrade for the rx3115 only addresses Internet Explorer
shutdown issues (such as some websites that make PIE disappear). If this
is not a major problem (not for me at least with my 3115), then I would
weigh the actual need of upgrading at this time. However, if you have not
updated to 1.01.06 yet I would suggest doing that if you use bluetooth - but
only if you are okay with going from MP9 to MP10.

Below is a revision history if you have not already seen (but a good chance
you already have done so)

--------------------------

version 1.01.11 (4 Feb 05)




a.. Resolves shutdown issue with Microsoft Pocket Internet
Explorer.



a.. PURPOSE:
a.. Recommended
b.. OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
a.. Microsoft Windows for Pocket PC 2003



» version 1.01.06 (8 Nov 04)




a.. Adds Windows Media Player 10 Mobile for Pocket PC.

b.. Updates ROM to Bluetooth driver build 2600.

c.. Updates ROM to iPAQ Mobile Media version 2.0.1.87.



a.. Connectivity: Enables a Bluetooth phone to dial a contact.

b.. Supports Nevo Media, which is compatible with Windows
Media Player 10 Mobile.



a.. PURPOSE:
a.. Recommended
b.. OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
a.. Microsoft Windows for Pocket PC 2003











begin 666 header-dotted-line.gif
M1TE&.#EA&P(!`)'_`/___\S,S ```,# P"'Y! $```,`+ `````;`@$```(7
M!(*IR^T/HYRTVHNSWKS[#X;B2);F4P``.[;HJ\*L[,;V?-?XKO?TGP/RA+Z@
I<7@L(I?*)O&9A#*ESJAU>JUBM]HN]9L%+TODLOF,3JO7[+;[/2H``#L`
`
end

begin 666 spacer.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end
Anonymous
a b α HP
February 16, 2005 4:20:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> (Wed, 16 Feb
2005 11:24:16) about "Re: iPAQ rx3115: New Service Pack from HP?":


x> "wvantwiller"
x> <wvantwiller@knickerbocker.com> wrote in message news:g79Qd.
x> 3794$U86.1806@fe40.usenetserver. com...
>> I've noticed a new service pack today, SP29213, posted on the HP
>> support page for the rx3115.



x> The latest ROM upgrade for the rx3115 only addresses Internet Explorer
x> shutdown issues (such as some websites that make PIE disappear). If
x> this is not a major problem (not for me at least with my 3115), then I
x> would weigh the actual need of upgrading at this time. However, if you
x> have not updated to 1.01.06 yet I would suggest doing that if you use
x> bluetooth - but only if you are okay with going from MP9 to MP10.

Agreed! I did the 1.01.06 update so I could dial phone numbers from my
bluetooth phone. I am not having the problem this latest service pack
addresses (I use NetFront and Thunderhawk anyway) so I'm not updating!

--
Donald E. Stidwell <donstidwell@nospam.net> Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:16:30 -0500
===
Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
!