Info RE Migration to CNGLR from ATTWS

Last response: in Network Providers
November 24, 2004 5:58:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

I am on an ATTWS 59.99 national free roaming plan with 2 lines extra.
I have 7pm nights automatically for all 3 lines via the 59.99 plan and
900 anytime minutes with the unlimited m2m and night/weekends and free
long distance.

I was interested in switching to CNGLR only because of their 19.99
mEdia Works package so I may take advantage of it through my laptop
for unlimited internet access via my gprs handset.

I went into a CNGLR store (a former ATTWS Store in this case) after I
called CNGLR to discuss all this to which I spoke with a teenage
sounding boy who was able to answer few of my questions and gave me
some info which in turn wasted my time at the store. Anyway... in my
scenario - if I were to switch to CNGLR with all my lines, here are
the advantages and disadvantages.

1. Cingular charges $7 PER LINE for early nights!
You do NOT get it automatically on any particular package
whatsoever as ATT gave it out. so... 3 lines x 7 = $21 per month
extra. (Ridiculous)

2. Cingular charges $18 PER line for migration to ATTWS. (also
ridiculous but reaching ludicrous levels)

3. Cingular's 59.99 national plan actually gives me 50 less minutes
per month BUT gives me rollover (so I guess #3 outweighs itself and
evens out).

4. Since I unlock all my handsets myself I wouldn't have to purchase a
new phone from them and only simply get the sim cards from them which
are FREE (yeah, i bet that's what the 18$ per line is for)

4 1/2. I am in the military, and I recieve a 19% monthly discount on
my ATTWS bill which is applied after taxes - so I pay significantly
less per month with ATTWS. Cnglr for now offers NO, I repeat NO
discount for military.

5. Advantage: I am on a 2yr ATTWS contract with about 1 1/2 yrs left.
If I moved to CNGLR the contract would be reduced to 1yr.

In conclusion, I'd have to pay 7x3=21 extra per month besides the
59.99 to have early nights. I'd have to pay 18x3=54 upfront for line
transfer.

Right now I pay ATTWS monthly:
59.99 for the gsm national package with 7pm nights and 900 mins
9.99 x 2 for 2 extra lines.
And once taxes, surcharges are added, I get a 19% discount off of the
total amount.

I'd be paying CNGLR monthly:
59.99 for gsm national package with 9pm nights and 850 mns BUT with
rollover.
7x3=21 for early nights for the 3 lines.
and once taxes and surcharges are added I get no discount off of the
total amount for being military.

& $54 upfront simply to transfer my lines over, for 3 of them.

I wonder, american corporations like this one become large, become
ridiculously rich off of the hard earned money of millions of poor
saps.
Thank God for American freedom in justice which allows them to get
away with all sorts of things, such as this.

but hey! - if you just spent forty one billion american dollars to
purchase a company, I guess you'd be wanting some of it back too!

And after all... with all this said, why wouldn't you want to join the
46million+ member family with Cingular! What've you got to lose? -
except maybe your weekly grocery money. And maybe your monthly kids'
diaper money if you were to purchase new handsets because you - the
average consumer has either no clue or resource to go and unlock your
phone(s).

Cingular needs to start making it WORTHWHILE for ATTWS customers to
transfer over. But again, 46+ million paying customers so what've they
got to care about? not much aside from charging us more and more and
getting richer and richer.

So go ahead, switch to CNGLR! I'll keep my ATTWS plans and features
for as long as I can, and hopefully it will be for the remainder of my
contract.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 11:16:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <a9ce8e18.0411241458.3de73e9f@posting.google.com>,
mariusdb@gmail.com (M. D. Borca) wrote:

> 4 1/2. I am in the military, and I recieve a 19% monthly discount on
> my ATTWS bill which is applied after taxes - so I pay significantly
> less per month with ATTWS. Cnglr for now offers NO, I repeat NO
> discount for military.

Calm down. The whole foundation account issue will be resolved in a few
weeks. Foundation accounts are still being handled, but are currently
still all ATTWS plans and equipment, but will transition to Cingular
plans and phones probably around the first of the year if not sooner.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 11:17:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <a9ce8e18.0411241458.3de73e9f@posting.google.com>,
mariusdb@gmail.com (M. D. Borca) wrote:

> Cingular needs to start making it WORTHWHILE for ATTWS customers to
> transfer over.

Why?

You can continue as you are right now, and nothing will change except
that mobile to mobile will include Cingular people as well.

You needn't do anything.

Yeah, if you want to change something, you'll probably have to look
elsewhere. Cingular isn't it right now.
November 24, 2004 11:35:57 PM

M. D. Borca wrote:

> 7x3=21 for early nights for the 3 lines.

Got news for you.

AT&T Wireless was the ONLY carrier offering free 7pm nights.

November 25, 2004 1:14:38 AM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <a9ce8e18.0411241458.3de73e9f@posting.google.com>,
> mariusdb@gmail.com (M. D. Borca) wrote:
>

>>4 1/2. I am in the military, and I recieve a 19% monthly discount on
>>my ATTWS bill which is applied after taxes - so I pay significantly
>>less per month with ATTWS. Cnglr for now offers NO, I repeat NO
>>discount for military.
>

> Calm down. The whole foundation account issue will be resolved in a few
> weeks. Foundation accounts are still being handled, but are currently
> still all ATTWS plans and equipment, but will transition to Cingular
> plans and phones probably around the first of the year if not sooner.

I talked to the "foundation" folks on Monday - I have ATTWS accounts
with an IBM discount. They said they could "walk though" a switch to
Cingular, but it would take several days, maybe a week. The big problem
was they had no way to give me the equipment discount. They thought
it would be resolved in two weeks, a month at the outside. I asked if
the military/postal discounts would be honored and they were pretty sure
that the intent was to keep all of the business discounts.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 9:51:56 AM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> In article <a9ce8e18.0411241458.3de73e9f@posting.google.com>,
> mariusdb@gmail.com (M. D. Borca) wrote:
>
>> Cingular needs to start making it WORTHWHILE for ATTWS customers to
>> transfer over.
>
> Why?
>
> You can continue as you are right now, and nothing will change except
> that mobile to mobile will include Cingular people as well.
>
> You needn't do anything.
>
> Yeah, if you want to change something, you'll probably have to look
> elsewhere. Cingular isn't it right now.

As he stated Cingular has a better data plan than ATTWS. It's so darn
confusing, however, that people are hesitant to make the switch. Why
Cingular is charging to move from ATT to a Cingular account is beyond me. It
would seem to be to Cingular's benefit to migrate people over sooner rather
than later (helps get to a single billing system).

In addition, because it's so confusing to migrate I think people are taking
the opportunity to look at other carriers and their plans. Not a smart move
on Cingular's part. They should be doing everything they can to retain their
customer base.

TC
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 9:55:02 AM

> M. D. Borca wrote:
>
>> 7x3=21 for early nights for the 3 lines.
>
> Got news for you.
>
> AT&T Wireless was the ONLY carrier offering free 7pm nights.

It wasn't exactly free. As I recall you had to be on a plan costing $59 or
more.

TC
November 25, 2004 10:04:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 06:55:02 GMT, "Tony Clark"
<curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It wasn't exactly free. As I recall you had to be on a plan costing $59 or
>more.

Huh? The requirement to get *free* nights at 7pm is subscribing to a
$59 plan or higher. How is it not free? They give you what the
requirements are to get night minutes at 7pm. The requirement is that
you pick a plan that is $59 or higher.

November 25, 2004 11:43:35 AM

Tony Clark wrote:

> It wasn't exactly free. As I recall you had to be on a plan costing $59 or
> more.

It did not carry an additional charge, though.

November 25, 2004 11:48:23 AM

On 24 Nov 2004 14:58:37 -0800, mariusdb@gmail.com (M. D. Borca) wrote:

>1. Cingular charges $7 PER LINE for early nights!
> You do NOT get it automatically on any particular package
>whatsoever as ATT gave it out. so... 3 lines x 7 = $21 per month
>extra. (Ridiculous)

Are you sure that it is $7 per line? My parents and younger brother
have a Sprint family plan and they pay $5 for early night. I thought
it would be $5 per phone like the Vision package is, but when they
called to sign up for it they found they only had to pay $5 to cover
all three lines.

Yogi
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:02:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <ovsbq05tevs3m6764dld6rj5pln0qr38kp@4ax.com> on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 07:04:49
-0800, Joseph <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 06:55:02 GMT, "Tony Clark"
><curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It wasn't exactly free. As I recall you had to be on a plan costing $59 or
>>more.
>
>Huh? The requirement to get *free* nights at 7pm is subscribing to a
>$59 plan or higher. How is it not free? They give you what the
>requirements are to get night minutes at 7pm. The requirement is that
>you pick a plan that is $59 or higher.

Which makes it not free. Just because it's not split out separately doesn't
make it free -- it's bundled into the total price. If it were truly free,
then it would be available on any rate plan.

November 25, 2004 7:17:05 PM

"Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:o vsbq05tevs3m6764dld6rj5pln0qr38kp@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 06:55:02 GMT, "Tony Clark"
> <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>It wasn't exactly free. As I recall you had to be on a plan costing $59 or
>>more.
>
> Huh? The requirement to get *free* nights at 7pm is subscribing to a
> $59 plan or higher. How is it not free? They give you what the
> requirements are to get night minutes at 7pm. The requirement is that
> you pick a plan that is $59 or higher.

It's not free because you are paying $59 or more for a service that gets you
7pm nights. If you get a $39 plan you don't get 7pm nights, hence there is a
cost to get the 7pm nights. They are forcing you to purchase a plan with
more anytime minutes in order to get the 7pm nights, but what if you don't
need those anytime minutes and you make lots of calls after 7pm? You wind up
paying for minutes you don't use just to get "free" minutes. So you see,
they are not really free.

To me free means there are no conditions attached.

TC
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:36:26 PM

In <a9ce8e18.0411241458.3de73e9f@posting.google.com> on 24 Nov 2004 14:58:37
-0800, mariusdb@gmail.com (M. D. Borca) wrote:

>1. Cingular charges $7 PER LINE for early nights!
> You do NOT get it automatically on any particular package
>whatsoever as ATT gave it out. so... 3 lines x 7 = $21 per month
>extra. (Ridiculous)

I think there's a cheaper package price that covers all lines on a Family
Plan.

>2. Cingular charges $18 PER line for migration to ATTWS. (also
>ridiculous but reaching ludicrous levels)

All carriers charge activation fees, and this is pretty modest.

>I wonder, american corporations like this one become large, become
>ridiculously rich off of the hard earned money of millions of poor
>saps.
>Thank God for American freedom in justice which allows them to get
>away with all sorts of things, such as this.

How silly. Cellular is a bargain; carriers aren't getting rich; and if you
don't think it's a good deal, then don't buy it. That's a free market at
work.

>And after all... with all this said, why wouldn't you want to join the
>46million+ member family with Cingular! What've you got to lose? -
>except maybe your weekly grocery money. And maybe your monthly kids'
>diaper money if you were to purchase new handsets because you - the
>average consumer has either no clue or resource to go and unlock your
>phone(s).

More silliness -- if you don't like Cingular, stick with your ATTWS plan.
Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

>Cingular needs to start making it WORTHWHILE for ATTWS customers to
>transfer over.

It obviously is.

>But again, 46+ million paying customers so what've they
>got to care about?

Not losing them -- they were VERY expensive.

>not much aside from charging us more and more and
>getting richer and richer.

More silliness -- Cingular isn't getting richer and richer.

>So go ahead, switch to CNGLR! I'll keep my ATTWS plans and features
>for as long as I can, and hopefully it will be for the remainder of my
>contract.

Then why are you whining?

November 25, 2004 7:52:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <5Anpd.283$u81.85@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:o vsbq05tevs3m6764dld6rj5pln0qr38kp@4ax.com...
> > On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 06:55:02 GMT, "Tony Clark"
> > <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>It wasn't exactly free. As I recall you had to be on a plan costing $59 or
> >>more.
> >
> > Huh? The requirement to get *free* nights at 7pm is subscribing to a
> > $59 plan or higher. How is it not free? They give you what the
> > requirements are to get night minutes at 7pm. The requirement is that
> > you pick a plan that is $59 or higher.
> >
> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
> It's not free because you are paying $59 or more for a service that gets you
> 7pm nights. If you get a $39 plan you don't get 7pm nights, hence there is a
> cost to get the 7pm nights. They are forcing you to purchase a plan with
> more anytime minutes in order to get the 7pm nights, but what if you don't
> need those anytime minutes and you make lots of calls after 7pm? You wind up
> paying for minutes you don't use just to get "free" minutes. So you see,
> they are not really free.
>
> To me free means there are no conditions attached.
>
> TC

It's free relative to Cingular who would charge you $7/month on top of
the $59.99
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 7:53:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <7prbq0534mr8sntlsosp1p2006ngnpqocu@4ax.com>,
Yogi <yogi@jellsytone.com> wrote:

> On 24 Nov 2004 14:58:37 -0800, mariusdb@gmail.com (M. D. Borca) wrote:
>
> >1. Cingular charges $7 PER LINE for early nights!
> > You do NOT get it automatically on any particular package
> >whatsoever as ATT gave it out. so... 3 lines x 7 = $21 per month
> >extra. (Ridiculous)
>
> Are you sure that it is $7 per line? My parents and younger brother
> have a Sprint family plan and they pay $5 for early night. I thought
> it would be $5 per phone like the Vision package is, but when they
> called to sign up for it they found they only had to pay $5 to cover
> all three lines.

Duh. Cingular is not Sprint, there is no requirement they do everything
like Sprint does.
Anonymous
November 25, 2004 9:44:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Cingular only charges $14 maximum for 7:00pm Night and Weekends, regardless
of the number of lines you have on your family plan. So if you have 4
lines, you'll pay only $14 for 7:00pm N&W.

Rollover is well worth it. You can start with very-high-minute plan then
move to a lower-minute plan when needed. Since you're analytical, do the
math and you'll see that the per minute cost will be less on Cingular.
With rollover, you can use all your minutes without every having to worry
about going over and paying penalty. Not having to watch the clock is well
worth it to me.

"M. D. Borca" <mariusdb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> purchase a company, I guess you'd be wanting some of it back too!
>
> And after all... with all this said, why wouldn't you want to join the
> 46million+ member family with Cingular! What've you got to lose? -
> except maybe your weekly grocery money. And maybe your monthly kids'
> diaper money if you were to purchase new handsets because you - the
> average consumer has either no clue or resource to go and unlock your
> phone(s).
>
> Cingular needs to start making it WORTHWHILE for ATTWS customers to
> transfer over. But again, 46+ million paying customers so what've they
> got to care about? not much aside from charging us more and more and
> getting richer and richer.
>
> So go ahead, switch to CNGLR! I'll keep my ATTWS plans and features
> for as long as I can, and hopefully it will be for the remainder of my
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 1:44:22 AM

Richie wrote:
> Cingular only charges $14 maximum for 7:00pm Night and Weekends, regardless
> of the number of lines you have on your family plan. So if you have 4
> lines, you'll pay only $14 for 7:00pm N&W.
>
> Rollover is well worth it. You can start with very-high-minute plan then
> move to a lower-minute plan when needed. Since you're analytical, do the
> math and you'll see that the per minute cost will be less on Cingular.
> With rollover, you can use all your minutes without every having to worry
> about going over and paying penalty. Not having to watch the clock is well
> worth it to me.

I was told that when you switch plans, you lose your rollover minutes.
November 26, 2004 8:10:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:17:05 GMT, "Tony Clark"
<curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

>It's not free because you are paying $59 or more for a service that gets you
>7pm nights. If you get a $39 plan you don't get 7pm nights, hence there is a
>cost to get the 7pm nights. They are forcing you to purchase a plan with
>more anytime minutes in order to get the 7pm nights, but what if you don't
>need those anytime minutes and you make lots of calls after 7pm? You wind up
>paying for minutes you don't use just to get "free" minutes. So you see,
>they are not really free.
>
>To me free means there are no conditions attached.

If you meet the conditions the night minutes are free. Free does not
mean that you do not have to meet conditions. You have a strange
definition of what free is or is not.

November 26, 2004 9:05:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

Only if you change to a plan that does not have Rollover. When I changed
from GAIT to GSM Nation, I kept my rollover minutes. (This was in the Kansas
City market.)

--
MICHAEL J. MacMAHON
Captain (ret.) KCPD

Remember, Golf is not a matter of Life or Death;
it is MUCH more important than that.

NOTE: All outgoing mail is scanned by McAfee Virus Scan for your safety.
"Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
> Richie wrote:
> > Cingular only charges $14 maximum for 7:00pm Night and Weekends,
regardless
> > of the number of lines you have on your family plan. So if you have 4
> > lines, you'll pay only $14 for 7:00pm N&W.
> >
> > Rollover is well worth it. You can start with very-high-minute plan
then
> > move to a lower-minute plan when needed. Since you're analytical, do
the
> > math and you'll see that the per minute cost will be less on Cingular.
> > With rollover, you can use all your minutes without every having to
worry
> > about going over and paying penalty. Not having to watch the clock is
well
> > worth it to me.
>

> I was told that when you switch plans, you lose your rollover minutes.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 11:50:57 AM

Michael MacMahon wrote:
> Only if you change to a plan that does not have Rollover. When I changed
> from GAIT to GSM Nation, I kept my rollover minutes. (This was in the Kansas
> City market.)

My sister-in-law, who is a heavy Cingular user (home care nurse - lives
out of her car), insists she lost her rollover minutes after being told
she would not. Just be careful when switching.
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 12:02:27 PM

In <jzwick3-9CC428.10521925112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Thu, 25 Nov
2004 16:52:19 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <5Anpd.283$u81.85@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:o vsbq05tevs3m6764dld6rj5pln0qr38kp@4ax.com...

>> > Huh? The requirement to get *free* nights at 7pm is subscribing to a
>> > $59 plan or higher. How is it not free? They give you what the
>> > requirements are to get night minutes at 7pm. The requirement is that
>> > you pick a plan that is $59 or higher.
>> >
>> > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>
>> It's not free because you are paying $59 or more for a service that gets you
>> 7pm nights. If you get a $39 plan you don't get 7pm nights, hence there is a
>> cost to get the 7pm nights. They are forcing you to purchase a plan with
>> more anytime minutes in order to get the 7pm nights, but what if you don't
>> need those anytime minutes and you make lots of calls after 7pm? You wind up
>> paying for minutes you don't use just to get "free" minutes. So you see,
>> they are not really free.
>>
>> To me free means there are no conditions attached.
>>
>> TC
>
>It's free relative to Cingular who would charge you $7/month on top of
>the $59.99

It's not free by any standard, just priced differently.

November 26, 2004 12:02:45 PM

In <co5214$f56$1@ratbert.glorb.com> on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:43:35 -0800, Steve
Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>Tony Clark wrote:
>
>> It wasn't exactly free. As I recall you had to be on a plan costing $59 or
>> more.
>
>It did not carry an additional charge, though.

Of course it does -- it's just not broken out.

November 26, 2004 12:02:46 PM

John Navas wrote:

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <co5214$f56$1@ratbert.glorb.com> on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:43:35 -0800, Steve
> Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:
>

>>Tony Clark wrote:
>>

>>>It wasn't exactly free. As I recall you had to be on a plan costing $59 or
>>>more.
>>
>>It did not carry an additional charge, though.
>

> Of course it does -- it's just not broken out.

The only thing that's broken is people's understanding of "free". They
actually think "free" exists, and that their involvment serves some
advantage for them.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

> Michael MacMahon wrote:
> > Only if you change to a plan that does not have Rollover. When I changed
> > from GAIT to GSM Nation, I kept my rollover minutes. (This was in the
Kansas
> > City market.)
> >

> My sister-in-law, who is a heavy Cingular user (home care nurse - lives
> out of her car), insists she lost her rollover minutes after being told
> she would not. Just be careful when switching.

Your sister-in-law is wrong.

As was stated previously; you only lose Rollover when switching to a plan
that doesn't include Rollover.

--
SS
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

"M. D. Borca" <mariusdb@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I am on an ATTWS 59.99 national free roaming plan with 2 lines extra.
> I have 7pm nights automatically for all 3 lines via the 59.99 plan and
> 900 anytime minutes with the unlimited m2m and night/weekends and free
> long distance.
>
> I was interested in switching to CNGLR only because of their 19.99
> mEdia Works package so I may take advantage of it through my laptop
> for unlimited internet access via my gprs handset.
>
> I went into a CNGLR store (a former ATTWS Store in this case) after I
> called CNGLR to discuss all this to which I spoke with a teenage
> sounding boy who was able to answer few of my questions and gave me
> some info which in turn wasted my time at the store. Anyway... in my
> scenario - if I were to switch to CNGLR with all my lines, here are
> the advantages and disadvantages.
>
> 1. Cingular charges $7 PER LINE for early nights!
> You do NOT get it automatically on any particular package
> whatsoever as ATT gave it out. so... 3 lines x 7 = $21 per month
> extra. (Ridiculous)

It's only $14 for multiple lines.

> 2. Cingular charges $18 PER line for migration to ATTWS. (also
> ridiculous but reaching ludicrous levels)

It's an "upgrade fee" not an activation fee. Legacy Cingular customers pay
the same fee every time they upgrade.

> 3. Cingular's 59.99 national plan actually gives me 50 less minutes
> per month BUT gives me rollover (so I guess #3 outweighs itself and
> evens out).

ATTWS started offering the extra 50 minutes on plans and the 7 nights &
weekends when the merger negotiations were announced long ago. They also
lowered their credit standards to establish monthly service.

> 4. Since I unlock all my handsets myself I wouldn't have to purchase a
> new phone from them and only simply get the sim cards from them which
> are FREE (yeah, i bet that's what the 18$ per line is for)

But your unlocked phones will not work as well as the new ENS phones.

> 4 1/2. I am in the military, and I recieve a 19% monthly discount on
> my ATTWS bill which is applied after taxes - so I pay significantly
> less per month with ATTWS. Cnglr for now offers NO, I repeat NO
> discount for military.

FAN's are on the way.

> 5. Advantage: I am on a 2yr ATTWS contract with about 1 1/2 yrs left.
> If I moved to CNGLR the contract would be reduced to 1yr.
>
> In conclusion, I'd have to pay 7x3=21 extra per month besides the
> 59.99 to have early nights. I'd have to pay 18x3=54 upfront for line
> transfer.
>
> Right now I pay ATTWS monthly:
> 59.99 for the gsm national package with 7pm nights and 900 mins
> 9.99 x 2 for 2 extra lines.
> And once taxes, surcharges are added, I get a 19% discount off of the
> total amount.
>

> I'd be paying CNGLR monthly:
> 59.99 for gsm national package with 9pm nights and 850 mns BUT with
> rollover.
> 7x3=21 for early nights for the 3 lines.
> and once taxes and surcharges are added I get no discount off of the
> total amount for being military.
>
> & $54 upfront simply to transfer my lines over, for 3 of them.
>
> I wonder, american corporations like this one become large, become
> ridiculously rich off of the hard earned money of millions of poor
> saps.
> Thank God for American freedom in justice which allows them to get
> away with all sorts of things, such as this.

I've driven nothing but Jeep for the last 25 Years. I think they owe me a
new Jeep and free gas.

Oh ....Time Warner cable owes me a free TV and HBO & Showtime

Let's not forget my local phone company......and the electric company.......

> but hey! - if you just spent forty one billion american dollars to
> purchase a company, I guess you'd be wanting some of it back too!
>
> And after all... with all this said, why wouldn't you want to join the
> 46million+ member family with Cingular! What've you got to lose? -
> except maybe your weekly grocery money. And maybe your monthly kids'
> diaper money if you were to purchase new handsets because you - the
> average consumer has either no clue or resource to go and unlock your
> phone(s).
>
> Cingular needs to start making it WORTHWHILE for ATTWS customers to
> transfer over. But again, 46+ million paying customers so what've they
> got to care about? not much aside from charging us more and more and
> getting richer and richer.
>
> So go ahead, switch to CNGLR! I'll keep my ATTWS plans and features
> for as long as I can, and hopefully it will be for the remainder of my
> contract.

I would hate to live in your world.

--
SS
Anonymous

Shaolin Superfly wrote:
> "Bob Horvath" <usenet@horvath.com> wrote in message
>
>>Michael MacMahon wrote:
>>
>>>Only if you change to a plan that does not have Rollover. When I changed
>>>from GAIT to GSM Nation, I kept my rollover minutes. (This was in the
>
> Kansas
>
>>>City market.)
>>>

>>My sister-in-law, who is a heavy Cingular user (home care nurse - lives
>>out of her car), insists she lost her rollover minutes after being told
>>she would not. Just be careful when switching.
>

> Your sister-in-law is wrong.
>
> As was stated previously; you only lose Rollover when switching to a plan
> that doesn't include Rollover.

You tell her! Her only complain about Cingular was being told she
wouldn't lose her rollover minues, and then losing them.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 10:25:21 AM

In <8--dndbI4P05YjrcRVn-2w@comcast.com> on Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:16:40 -0600,
Bob Horvath <usenet@horvath.com> wrote:

>Shaolin Superfly wrote:

>> As was stated previously; you only lose Rollover when switching to a plan
>> that doesn't include Rollover.
>
>You tell her! Her only complain about Cingular was being told she
>wouldn't lose her rollover minues, and then losing them.

So tell her to call Cingular and insist that they be reinstated.

November 27, 2004 10:28:02 AM

In <30q6e2F33asd3U2@uni-berlin.de> on Fri, 26 Nov 2004 19:41:11 -0600,
"Shaolin Superfly" <shaolinsuperfly@yinyang.com> wrote:

>"M. D. Borca" <mariusdb@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> 4. Since I unlock all my handsets myself I wouldn't have to purchase a
>> new phone from them and only simply get the sim cards from them which
>> are FREE (yeah, i bet that's what the 18$ per line is for)
>
>But your unlocked phones will not work as well as the new ENS phones.

The difference is small, and unlocked phones have offsetting advantages.

November 27, 2004 12:09:52 PM

> On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:17:05 GMT, "Tony Clark"
> <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

SNIP

>>To me free means there are no conditions attached.
>
> If you meet the conditions the night minutes are free. Free does not
> mean that you do not have to meet conditions. You have a strange
> definition of what free is or is not.

In this case the conditions are that you pay $59 a month for a rate plan or
MORE. How you equate paying $59+ per month with free is the strange part.

TC
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 12:29:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <AvXpd.1517$u81.1228@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "Joseph" <JoeOfSeattle@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 16:17:05 GMT, "Tony Clark"
> > <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> SNIP
>

> >>To me free means there are no conditions attached.
> >
> > If you meet the conditions the night minutes are free. Free does not
> > mean that you do not have to meet conditions. You have a strange
> > definition of what free is or is not.
> >
> In this case the conditions are that you pay $59 a month for a rate plan or
> MORE. How you equate paying $59+ per month with free is the strange part.

Free you means you don't pay $7/month EXTRA like Cingular charges. It's
free for the 7 PM nights, not Free for the celular service.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:01:18 PM

In <jzwick3-14125F.03290527112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Sat, 27 Nov
2004 09:29:07 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <AvXpd.1517$u81.1228@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> In this case the conditions are that you pay $59 a month for a rate plan or
>> MORE. How you equate paying $59+ per month with free is the strange part.
>
>Free you means you don't pay $7/month EXTRA like Cingular charges. It's
>free for the 7 PM nights, not Free for the celular service.

Of course you pay extra, albeit bundled into a single price rather than being
split out separately. TANSTAAFL.

When you buy a car do you get a free engine and transmission? Of course not.
You pay for them.

November 27, 2004 7:01:19 PM

John Navas wrote:
> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <jzwick3-14125F.03290527112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Sat, 27 Nov
> 2004 09:29:07 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>

>>In article <AvXpd.1517$u81.1228@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
>>"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>In this case the conditions are that you pay $59 a month for a rate plan or
>>>MORE. How you equate paying $59+ per month with free is the strange part.
>>
>>Free you means you don't pay $7/month EXTRA like Cingular charges. It's
>>free for the 7 PM nights, not Free for the celular service.
>

> Of course you pay extra, albeit bundled into a single price rather than being
> split out separately. TANSTAAFL.
>
> When you buy a car do you get a free engine and transmission? Of course not.
> You pay for them.

non sequitur... the engine and transmission aren't being advertised as free.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <coacst$r5e@library1.airnews.net>, Jer <gdunn@airmail.ten>
wrote:

> > When you buy a car do you get a free engine and transmission? Of course
> > not.
> > You pay for them.
> >

> non sequitur... the engine and transmission aren't being advertised as free.

But they could be.

When you get pizza that's advertised as "free delivery," are you getting
free delivery? Or is that built into the cost of the pizza and the
advertised price?

"Free" is meaningless in a business transaction. NOTHING is free.
Anonymous
November 27, 2004 7:54:31 PM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>non sequitur... the engine and transmission aren't being advertised as free.
>
> But they could be.

But they're not. Ever.

November 27, 2004 9:20:58 PM

In <coacst$r5e@library1.airnews.net> on Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:17:37 -0600, Jer
<gdunn@airmail.ten> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>>
>> In <jzwick3-14125F.03290527112004@news1.east.earthlink.net> on Sat, 27 Nov
>> 2004 09:29:07 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>>>Free you means you don't pay $7/month EXTRA like Cingular charges. It's
>>>free for the 7 PM nights, not Free for the celular service.
>>
>> Of course you pay extra, albeit bundled into a single price rather than being
>> split out separately. TANSTAAFL.
>>
>> When you buy a car do you get a free engine and transmission? Of course not.
>> You pay for them.
>
>non sequitur... the engine and transmission aren't being advertised as free.

Irrelevant... when there's a $tring attached, it isn't really free.

November 27, 2004 9:47:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <cob36u$t2h$1@ratbert.glorb.com>,
Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

> >>non sequitur... the engine and transmission aren't being advertised as free.
> >
> > But they could be.
>
> But they're not. Ever.

The point is, "free" is never free. Best case, they mean "included in
the price we quoted you and can't be stripped out of the deal in order
to make a lower price point on the other things in the deal".

So to that end, cars DO come with free engines.
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 12:28:41 PM

>> > But they could be.
>>
>> But they're not. Ever.
>
> The point is, "free" is never free. Best case, they mean "included in
> the price we quoted you and can't be stripped out of the deal in order
> to make a lower price point on the other things in the deal".
>
> So to that end, cars DO come with free engines.

With that kind of logic, I have an offer for you. Free $100 bills. Yes,
that's right. For every $200 in cash you pay me I'll give you a free, brand
spankin new, $100 bill. No limit to this offer and this offer NEVER expires!

TC
Anonymous
November 28, 2004 12:45:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <dTgqd.5437$NU3.3722@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > The point is, "free" is never free. Best case, they mean "included in
> > the price we quoted you and can't be stripped out of the deal in order
> > to make a lower price point on the other things in the deal".
> >
> > So to that end, cars DO come with free engines.
> >

> With that kind of logic, I have an offer for you. Free $100 bills. Yes,
> that's right. For every $200 in cash you pay me I'll give you a free, brand
> spankin new, $100 bill. No limit to this offer and this offer NEVER expires!

You're learning all about marketing now.

How about those advertised prices that you can't buy the product for?
Rebates on computer products, additional "fees" on cell phone pricing,
etc.

We are rapidly approaching the point where this stuff will be regulated.
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 8:27:39 AM

In <cob36u$t2h$1@ratbert.glorb.com> on Sat, 27 Nov 2004 15:40:46 -0800, Steve
Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote:

>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>>>non sequitur... the engine and transmission aren't being advertised as free.
>>
>> But they could be.
>
>But they're not. Ever.

Irrelevant.

November 29, 2004 8:28:29 AM

In <elmop-C70F27.09453728112004@text.usenetserver.com> on Sun, 28 Nov 2004
09:45:37 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>You're learning all about marketing now.
>
>How about those advertised prices that you can't buy the product for?
>Rebates on computer products, additional "fees" on cell phone pricing,
>etc.
>
>We are rapidly approaching the point where this stuff will be regulated.

A cure worse than the disease.

November 29, 2004 9:12:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <1syqd.8281$_3.99414@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> >How about those advertised prices that you can't buy the product for?
> >Rebates on computer products, additional "fees" on cell phone pricing,
> >etc.
> >
> >We are rapidly approaching the point where this stuff will be regulated.
>
> A cure worse than the disease.

Maybe. But it's time that retailers be cured from the habit of
advertising prices that the consumer can't buy the product for.

We're just a small step away from places like Walmart advertising
something at one price, then adding "fees" at the register (advertising
fee, keep the lights on fee, manager's bonus fee, etc.).
Anonymous
November 29, 2004 3:26:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws (More info?)

In article <elmop-E183B1.06122029112004@text.usenetserver.com>,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

> In article <1syqd.8281$_3.99414@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
> > >How about those advertised prices that you can't buy the product for?
> > >Rebates on computer products, additional "fees" on cell phone pricing,
> > >etc.
> > >
> > >We are rapidly approaching the point where this stuff will be regulated.
> >
> > A cure worse than the disease.

Cellular carrier have only themselves to blame for whatever regulation
they may get hit with. Over one year after their self-imposed consumer
code, one still can't find a proper coverage map from any major carrier,
despite the code calling for better coverage maps.

> Maybe. But it's time that retailers be cured from the habit of
> advertising prices that the consumer can't buy the product for.
>
> We're just a small step away from places like Walmart advertising
> something at one price, then adding "fees" at the register (advertising
> fee, keep the lights on fee, manager's bonus fee, etc.).

Some hotels already do that, charging you extra for telephone usage.
Some retail establishments want to charge you extra if you used a credit
card.

Here in Texas a furniture chain advertised an after Thanksgiving
"Half-Off" Sale. Half-Off what you might ask. Excellent question, as the
very fine microprint at the bottom of the page revealed it was half-off
the "compare at" price, which is a price higher than they ever charge
and while for mattresses it might be the never charged MSRP, for other
items it's a total Fiction with zero basis in reality. So for some
items, half-off is the regular price.
!