Do I need the Host AP driver for anything else than Prism ..

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I'm planning on buying a 802.11b/g card which uses the Atheros chipset, and
plug it into a Linux gateway which I want to use as an access point. I have
a copy of the book 'Building Wireless Community Networks', and it only
mentions the Host AP driver in this relation. Are there no other
alternatives? Do I need a Prism card to be able to operate in BSS Master
mode?

TIA,
Mikael Bjerkeland

Mikael Bjerkeland wrote:

> I'm planning on buying a 802.11b/g card which uses the Atheros chipset,
> and plug it into a Linux gateway which I want to use as an access point. I
> have a copy of the book 'Building Wireless Community Networks', and it
> only mentions the Host AP driver in this relation. Are there no other
> alternatives? Do I need a Prism card to be able to operate in BSS Master
> mode?
>

> TIA,
> Mikael Bjerkeland
For the Atheros chip you need the madwifi driver, for the Prism 54 (g)
chips you need the prism54 driver, and HostAP only works for Prism
2/2.5/3 chips. Some of the functionality of HostAP is also present in
the madwifi and prism54 drivers, but you should check the bits you
want are there.

David