Sign in with
Your question

Preparing to OC my 6600: High Temp at Stock?

Last response: in Overclocking
November 3, 2006 6:00:05 PM

Hello. I became interested in overclocking my 6600 and as such did a bit of research on the subject (mostly around these forums). However, one thing is troubling me a little bit.

Using CoreTemp, my CPU is 42C idle and up to 60C on load. This is at stock. This seems to be a lot higher than what other people are posting. I am using the stock HSF, are these temps normal? Is it OK for me to go ahead and try overclocking, or should I be more careful as I might reach the temperature threshold faster than normal?

I appreciate any responses, this is my first time overclocking and I don't want to screw it up!
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2006 6:57:14 PM

what are you measuring that temp with.
November 3, 2006 7:01:07 PM

Those temps sound close to normal to me with the stock HSF and any speed reduction features turned off. Seems that the general concenes is that 85 C in CoreTemp is the upper limit for C2D. Check it in the BIOS or with the Gigabyte EasyTuner software and you'll see lower numbers.
Related resources
November 3, 2006 7:21:35 PM

Quote:
what are you measuring that temp with.

CoreTemp.

Quote:
Those temps sound close to normal to me with the stock HSF and any speed reduction features turned off. Seems that the general concenes is that 85 C in CoreTemp is the upper limit for C2D. Check it in the BIOS or with the Gigabyte EasyTuner software and you'll see lower numbers.

Alright, thanks. I heard people saying that temps in the 70+ Range are what you want to avoid, is that in the BIOS or is that the reading I would get from CoreTemp? If its the BIOS one, what temp should I use as my safe(!) overclock limit as given from CoreTemp?
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2006 7:35:55 PM

not knowing youfull setup with airfllow etc. I'd say it was a bit warm.

I've got eist truned on (6x at idle), and I idle at 33ish and 44-45 at load with stock heatsink and a slow fan speed.

Are you sure HSF is fitted properly stock is tricky to fit apparently.
November 3, 2006 7:40:29 PM

Quote:
not knowing youfull setup with airfllow etc. I'd say it was a bit warm.

I've got eist truned on (6x at idle), and I idle at 33ish and 44-45 at load with stock heatsink and a slow fan speed.

Are you sure HSF is fitted properly stock is tricky to fit apparently.

My case has 3 120mm fans, 1 intake in front which draws air over the HDDs, and 2 outake in back which are near the CPU and GPU.

I'll check the HSF later tonight when I get a chance though, I certainly thought it was seated properly but I suppose I'll double check it.
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2006 7:49:11 PM

daft question, but is your CPU fan spinning, I could imagine those temps without fan spinning which may be possible to set on a gigabyte board.
November 3, 2006 8:10:09 PM

i have the same motherboard and a e6400. i went through this same "problem" a week ago. Your temps are fine. using core temp, i'm at 52/66 with a arctic freezer 7 pro and overclocked to 3 ghz. My temps, surprisingly, were only 2 or 3 degrees less using stock heatsink and nonoverclocked. i try to stay under 70 for load. it should be fine, according to just about every forum in here. and for the guys that are getting low 40's or even 30's, they aren't using core temp. core temp measures, as it says in the name, not exactly in the core, but i believe its in the cpu whereas other programs take the temp right next to the cpu. this accounts for the 10 degree diff you usually see.
November 3, 2006 8:29:59 PM

Quote:
daft question, but is your CPU fan spinning, I could imagine those temps without fan spinning which may be possible to set on a gigabyte board.

Yes, it's spinning. :p 

Quote:
and for the guys that are getting low 40's or even 30's, they aren't using core temp. core temp measures, as it says in the name, not exactly in the core, but i believe its in the cpu whereas other programs take the temp right next to the cpu. this accounts for the 10 degree diff you usually see.

That's kind of what I was wondering. People getting 30C idle temps made it seem like mine was on fire in comparison. Thanks a lot, and I'll probably do the same and just try to stay under 70C load.

If I finish all my homework hopefully I'll get to it tonight. :)  Wish me luck!
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2006 8:40:25 PM

Make what you want of this, using core temp / TAT and Everest I am getting 33 idle 45 load at just 1100rpm on HSF. My package temp is 37 load as reported by speedfan.

I'd still say you should check your hsf fitting as you do sound hot.

I have seen plenty of people with low temps, using the proper measuring tools.
November 3, 2006 8:53:15 PM

Well, I'll still double check the fan, is it possible its the mobo too? Can different mobos run the CPUs hotter or cooler? And 13th you are using the stock HSF?
November 3, 2006 8:54:14 PM

so how do you recommend installing the hsf? i know how to do it, but i'd like to hear it from you since i would like to decrease my temps if possible, even though they are probably with limits. how much arctic silver do you put on, etc.
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2006 9:03:35 PM

All I know is I followed the instructions, got lucky and it worked first time, from what i understand typically 1 corner pops out whilst you are putting the other corners in, and hence you get bad contact & temp. I probably wouldn't have noticed I'd gotten it wrong if I had of done. I'd used the thermal pad that was on the stock HSF.

I've heard some people say that they felt the mobo bending before all 4 corners were on properly but then they dropped temps significantly.

When I say 'Ive heard some people say' its been people responding to me when they have been asking about c2d temps recently, so its not internet rumour stuff, unless people were responding to me incorrectly, and quoting rumour as something they themselves have done.

I'm only referring to stock here, the aftermarket ones are apparently a lot better, never had one so I don't know.

I suppose waggling (technical term I'm sorry) the legs of the hsf would test if they are secured properly.
a b K Overclocking
November 3, 2006 9:37:56 PM

Quote:
Well, I'll still double check the fan, is it possible its the mobo too? Can different mobos run the CPUs hotter or cooler? And 13th you are using the stock HSF?

Using stock. Reason asking about the fan is that I thought the gigabytes could actually turn it off below certain temps, whereas others might just slow it down below certain temps.
November 4, 2006 6:22:28 AM

Well I decided to try it out a bit, though it (kinda obviously) didn't OC too well. At 2.61 (290) in Windows load temps were ~72-75C! I didn't keep it there long. At BIOS I was able to boot up to 2.7, however at 2.88 it failed to detect my HDDs. Do you think that was probably because of the heat?

Regardless, for now its staying at stock speed until I figure out the temp thing. I'll probably try remounting the HSF, but I don't have thermal paste at school so I'll just wait until Christmas time when I have lots of free time.
!