looking for comparison of old and new processors

justasteffy

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2006
I am doing some research and need to find a chart that compares the speed of older processors such as the Athelon XP and Duron to new dual core or Athelon 64 processors. I have found charts for old processors and charts for new ones, but can not find any charts that combine the old and new data. Any ideas where I can find a chart like this?

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I didn't really look to hard, but for a qualitative comparison this is what I would do:

Go here to get old cpu benchmarks. Compare to the the latest and greatest at the time ( IE Fastest AMD). Compute a relative performance ratio.

Go here to get the new benchmark of new CPU and the one you compared to before. Get ratio. Multiple both ratios and bam you've got a relative performance index.

mr_fnord

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
How old and what benchmarks?

Descriptions up to about 2002:
http://redhill.net.au/c/c-1.html

I thought Tom's CPU Charts had older models, they must roll off the old ones as new ones come out.

Part of the problem is that benchmarks change, ie PCMark2003 will run more poorly on a modern processor, while PCMark2005 will often choke on a processor that lacks things like SIMD.

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I am doing some research and need to find a chart that compares the speed of older processors such as the Athelon XP and Duron to new dual core or Athelon 64 processors. I have found charts for old processors and charts for new ones, but can not find any charts that combine the old and new data. Any ideas where I can find a chart like this?

The Mother of All CPU Charts right here on Tomshardware :) only from 2005 though...

You can just compare the recent CPU chart scores to the mother chart qualitatively. That would probably be enough

unbiased4u

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Oh wait, this one goes even further back, so this one is better: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/21/the_mother_of_all_cpu_charts_2005/