Keyboard and mouse not working after getting to desktop

Match

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
Yesterday I was having a problem with one of my games so I decided to update graphic drivers to see if that would help. I was playing Need for Speed Carbon and during a particular part of a certain race, it would just quit to the desktop everytime. I was using the 91.31 drivers for my nVidia 7900GTX, I was going to try the 91.47 ones. So I went into control panel and uninstalled the nvidia drivers. Everything seemed to be working fine during the uninstall and then it rebooted. After it finished restarting, it gets to the desktop and I get an error saying: "The graphics card in use does not support gamma adjustments or the adjusted gamma value is beyond the supported range of the graphics card." followed by another error saying "invalid hInst"

At first I figured that was normal because there weren't any drivers for my graphics card installed. Then I tried to click ok but the mouse was not responding, the cursor just stays in the center of the screen. Then I tried the keyboard and that also doesn't work. So I restarted to see if that would solve it...nothing. Then I tried to get into safe mode using F8, I was able to select Safe Mode with the keyboard during this time but when it got to the welcome screen, I could not go any further because the mouse and keyboard is not working. I am able to get into the bios and the keyboard works there, I loaded the default settings and still nothing works. I have tried using different PS/2 keyboards and mice but nothing different happens. I have also tried a USB mouse but that also doesn't work. The weird thing is other than the keyboard and mouse not working, everything else seems to be. I plug in a USB flash drive and it loads it up, I put in a disc and it loads it up. I currently do not have my windows disc with me as I have just recently moved but will get my windows disc sometime next week. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd prefer not to have to reinstall Windows but if that's the only option, I can live with it. Here are my specs:

XP Professional SP2
MX3000 Logitech cordless desktop and mouse using PS/2
Asus M2N-SLI deluxe AM2 motherboard
2 gigs Corsair RAM
Asus nVidia EN7900GTX
Samsung syncmaster 204b
AMD AM2 4600x2

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Match

Distinguished
May 19, 2004
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I was going to try the repair option once I got a hold of it. I probably shouldn't have uninstalled the old drivers but I've done it before and it never had a problem like this. It would just run at a really low resolution before I installed the new ones.

Oh and about the game, I think the game might be a bit buggy. I read on another messageboard that people were having similar problems, so I figured I tried to update the video drivers, couldn't hurt, right? Hah. My power supply is a Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V ATX12V 550W Power Supply (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103932) . I don't think that could be the problem (but hey, what do I know? I'm the guy who uninstalled video drivers and crippled my system) because I've been running Fear and Ghost Recon at max settings with no problems (though those are older games.) Thanks again for your help and I'll let you know if it works once I get a hold of my windows disk. Have a nice day.