Linux box as AP

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Just wondering if anyone had any experience or resources
for using a Linux box with a Cisco PCI wireless card as the
AP, rather than using a traditional WAP.

Can I expect the same performance as an "appliance" style
WAP (ie...Linksys, Cisco, SMC)?

Thanks for any input,

Greg

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

We've done it in a LUG meeting using a laptop with Orinoco gold card.
It's cool! See http://oob.freeshell.org/nzwireless/LWAP-HOWTO.html.
Good luck!

"JimboLee2@NETZER0@.NET" <anon@pop.netzero.net> wrote in

> We've done it in a LUG meeting using a laptop with Orinoco gold card.
> It's cool! See http://oob.freeshell.org/nzwireless/LWAP-HOWTO.html.
> Good luck!

Is it really worth the effort? : )

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Lucas Tam wrote:

> "JimboLee2@NETZER0@.NET" <anon@pop.netzero.net> wrote in
>
> > We've done it in a LUG meeting using a laptop with Orinoco gold card.
> > It's cool! See http://oob.freeshell.org/nzwireless/LWAP-HOWTO.html.
> > Good luck!
>

> Is it really worth the effort? : )

If it's for the purpose of learning the concept, why not? We had to do
our Linux box as router-DHCP server class project when I could just go buy
a cheappy hardware router out there. :)

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Exactly what I was looking for!!

The how-to is so good its almost a spoiler...hehe.

Thanks,

Greg

"JimboLee2@NETZER0@.NET" <anon@pop.netzero.net> wrote in message
> We've done it in a LUG meeting using a laptop with Orinoco gold card.
> It's cool! See http://oob.freeshell.org/nzwireless/LWAP-HOWTO.html.
> Good luck!
>
> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Bucho wrote:
>
> > Just wondering if anyone had any experience or resources
> > for using a Linux box with a Cisco PCI wireless card as the
> > AP, rather than using a traditional WAP.
> >
> > Can I expect the same performance as an "appliance" style
> > WAP (ie...Linksys, Cisco, SMC)?
> >
> > Thanks for any input,
> >
> > Greg

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Well, not only is it a great hacking/learning experience,
but if you need a linux server in a wireless environment, its
nice and economical to have it combined into one box.

Unlike with just a commercial AP, you get:
- VERY detailed logging
- ability to script things
- functionality of NOCAT
- Apache server
- great firewall (iptables)
- Name server

Its like a wireless Swiss Army knife for your wireless network. Did I miss
anything? :)