Linksys, WEP turned off for some clients?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 26, 2005 11:09:10 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Is it possible to configure a Linksys Wireless-G router to require
WEP/WPA for some clients, but allow other clients without it? From
what I've seen, it appears to be an all-or-nothing deal. But, I would
like to have, for example, my TiVo connect with no encryption, but
enable encryption for my laptop. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Steve
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:49:51 PM

On 26 Aug 2005 07:09:10 -0700, sdnakhla@hotmail.com wrote:

>Is it possible to configure a Linksys Wireless-G router to require
>WEP/WPA for some clients, but allow other clients without it?

Probably not. However, it might be possible to make a better guess if
you would kindly disclose the Linksys model number.

>From
>what I've seen, it appears to be an all-or-nothing deal. But, I would
>like to have, for example, my TiVo connect with no encryption, but
>enable encryption for my laptop. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Not with any commodity router that I know of. There is a 3Com access
point that offers per-connection individual setups which include
encryption methods. I'm too lazy to lookup the number right now.

Dumb question: Why do you want to run your TIVO with no encryption?
Is there a performance problem? At worst, WEP/WPA will burn about 15%
of the max speed. What problem are you trying to solve with this
solution?

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 1:52:13 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I tried to do it, but I didn't find a way, what you coul do is filter
MAC Address if you want to mantain secure your connection.
August 26, 2005 2:16:46 PM

On 26 Aug 2005 09:52:13 -0700, "heldmar" <heldmar@gmail.com> wrote:

>I tried to do it, but I didn't find a way, what you coul do is filter
>MAC Address if you want to mantain secure your connection.

Try WEP again, but this time use a Hex key, not an ASCII key.
Searching Google, there are many TIVO owners using WEP encryption with
their wireless systems.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 8:50:29 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> like to have, for example, my TiVo connect with no encryption, but
> enable encryption for my laptop. Any thoughts on how to do this?

Can you not do even WEP on the Tivo? One easy and pretty cheap way is
to use a second AP for the Tivo (or just a cable) ;)
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 10:48:37 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

What I meant is I tried to filter WEP for some clients....and it was
impossible, LinkSys comes with an standar of all or nothing, WEP keys
for all or WEP keys for no one. That's it.
Anonymous
August 28, 2005 11:49:47 AM

On 28 Aug 2005 06:48:37 -0700, "heldmar" <heldmar@gmail.com> wrote:

>What I meant is I tried to filter WEP for some clients....and it was
>impossible, LinkSys comes with an standar of all or nothing, WEP keys
>for all or WEP keys for no one. That's it.

Oh. You'll find that only a few access points support per-client
encryption settings. Some access points (i.e. 3com) do this through
"client groups" where the access point is virtualized and can have
multiple SSID's and configurations. For commodity hardware, it's one
setting for everyone. I have one customer that has a public WLAN and
a private WLAN. It was easy enough to setup using one wireless access
point, but the level of control (i.e. turn it on/off) that the
customer wanted was too much for a simple solution. So, I installed a
2nd access point at each location and that worked just fine. One was
encrypted and secured, while the other was publicly accessible without
encryption.

Incidentally, 802.1x is capable of delivering unique WEP keys for each
session, but the access point has to support the feature and it
requires that everyone use WEP or WPA. If you look at the Windoze XP
SP2 Wireless Zero Config setup, there's a choice to have the access
point deliver the WEP/WPA key using 802.1x. However, I don't think
that "authentication with no encryption" is a useable option.

!