Newb Question: E6600 Stock Cooling

hawksdr

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Hi!

I haven't built a system in years, and even then I got a mobo/cpu combo pre-installed. I had a question about thermal paste and my new E6600 before I actually install it.

From what I've found I'm supposed to apply thermal paste to the top of the cpu then attach the fan and heatsink, but the stock cooling unit the processor came with has three small patches (which look like pads) which I assume would be thermal pads for transfer the heat... Is that correct? Should I still use thermal paste/pads in addition to what is attached to the heatsink? If so, paste or a pad?

I got a retail boxed CPU if that helps.

Thanks!
Dylan

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Just install the heatsink. The 3 pads are pre-applied thermal compound. Dig around the forums or reviews and you will find an article that shows the stock TIM works better than Artic Silver with the stock heatsink.

Link

hawksdr

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2006
Thanks guys! That's what I figured, but better safe than sorry since I now have a kidney on the market to pay for this thing. =P

Btw, if any of you need a kidney, lung, or a pinky let me know... I'm sure we can work something out.

I plan to do some overclocking down the road, but not until it starts to feel a lil slow. I might oc to ~ 3ghz later on, but that's only when the processor begins to feel slow. That'll probably be about the time Vista comes out. hehe

Thanks again.
Dylan