How do I uninstall XP!!!

How do I uninstall xp pro sp1 and revert back to 98se and retain my
registry??

I have had it with microsoft!!! their support and software is
horrendous!!!
37 answers Last reply
More about uninstall

    I am going to have to check, because the XP upgrade was so difficult I
    don't recall what the idiots at MS told me to do!

    this is a brand new system using an amd 64 3000+ processor, 512ddr,
    ASUS motherboard, SATA RAID 0.

    The last set of 22 critical updates left me with no taskbar or start
    menu, MS told me to do a repair install, on XP, when this finished it
    left me unable to run 80% of my programs.

    When I try to run a program msg "application configuration is not
    valid, PLS reinstall application" Even when i reinstall programs they
    DO NOT work.

    I can't even reinstall Outlook 2000!

    by the way xp doesn't even recognize my dvd drive!

    I want to go back to 98SE only for a short time while i prep and
    install linux on my system!!

    Why would you think that registries are the same between operating systems.
    They're NOT.

    If you upgraded from Windows 98, and made the choice to save your old
    Windows installation (which would enable you to go back to Windows 98) you
    CAN downgrade to the older system. If you didn't, you can't. You will then
    have to Install Windows 98 fresh - just like as if you had a brand new
    computer without any operating system at all.

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    If you knew half as much as you think you know,
    You'd realize you didn't know what you thought you knew!

    In article <1103041894.257036.26770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
    p_davis@usa.com, p_davis@usa.com says...

    > How do I uninstall xp pro sp1 and revert back to 98se and retain my
    > registry??
    >
    > I have had it with microsoft!!! their support and software is
    > horrendous!!!

    Backup your data, blow out the drive an do a clean install. You'd only
    be asking for trouble trying to revert back. All this of course
    providing you have the win98se install disk.

    In news:1103041894.257036.26770@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
    p_davis@usa.com <p_davis@usa.com> typed:

    > How do I uninstall xp pro sp1 and revert back to 98se and
    > retain my
    > registry??

    You can't. *If* you did an upgrade from 98, took the option to
    save the previous operating system, and didn't convert your drive
    to NTFS, you can uninstall XP and go back to 98. But of course,
    the registry will be different, and can't be retained as is.

    > I have had it with microsoft!!! their support and software is
    > horrendous!!!

    I completely disagree. But it's your computer and your choice
    what to do with it.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > this is a brand new system using an amd 64 3000+ processor, 512ddr,
    > ASUS motherboard, SATA RAID 0.
    >
    > The last set of 22 critical updates left me with no taskbar or start
    > menu, MS told me to do a repair install, on XP, when this finished it
    > left me unable to run 80% of my programs.
    >
    > When I try to run a program msg "application configuration is not
    > valid, PLS reinstall application" Even when i reinstall programs they
    > DO NOT work.
    >
    > I can't even reinstall Outlook 2000!
    >
    > by the way xp doesn't even recognize my dvd drive!
    >

    > I want to go back to 98SE only for a short time while i prep and
    > install linux on my system!!

    You are unable to fix problems in XP, so rather than come into here asking
    how to fix it, you postulate about reverting to W98.. wise move.. backwards,
    but for you a good one.. pardon me while I chuckle.. then you threaten, nay
    promise to move to Linux?.. having shot yourself in one foot, you now take
    careful aim at the other.. way to go.. did somebody tell you there are less
    problems with Linux?.. you'll have me laughing soon.. have you ever been to
    a Linux newsgroup?.. you should before acting like a regular buffoon in
    here..

    FYI I have 7 open cases with MS which are unresolved!! and when i Talk
    to them its like talking to the wall, their best answer to
    fix these problems is to do a parallel install.

    After you calm down, consider wiping the hard drive clean (via FDISK or
    DISKPART), then re-create at least two partitions (OS+programs, data),
    format them as appropriate (hint, FAT32 is more universal than NTFS),
    disconnect all peripherals, except monitor, keyboard, and mouse, (be sure
    internet connect is disconnected, too), update the BIOS, install the
    operating system of your choice, install any drivers that came with the
    motherboard.

    Before installing any application software, make a backup of the system
    partition. (You will have to install some backup software.) Next, test
    recovery function of the backup software, assuming that the operating system
    can not be booted. If you can not recover, get better backup software, or
    read the manual more carefully.

    Now, everytime you add a program or two OR do an update or two, and test
    that everything is working OK, do another backup. If adding a
    program/update messes things up, restore to before the problem. Yes, XP
    updates can kill a PC. Not the update itself usually, but a slipped bit in
    the download, more likely. This is true of XP, 98, etc. My worst disaster
    in 98 was casued by a IE update that went wrong. The same update worked
    fine a few days later.

    As for choise of OS, I must honestly say that XP has been less problem for
    me than 98 or 95. I tried Red hat 7.x LINUX, and that worked OK, but it was
    limited in functions, and I never tried updating it. I have a friend who is
    happy with Susse LINUX, if that helps.

    p_davis@usa.com wrote:
    > this is a brand new system using an amd 64 3000+ processor, 512ddr,
    > ASUS motherboard, SATA RAID 0.
    >
    > The last set of 22 critical updates left me with no taskbar or start
    > menu, MS told me to do a repair install, on XP, when this finished it
    > left me unable to run 80% of my programs.
    >
    > When I try to run a program msg "application configuration is not
    > valid, PLS reinstall application" Even when i reinstall programs they
    > DO NOT work.
    >
    > I can't even reinstall Outlook 2000!
    >
    > by the way xp doesn't even recognize my dvd drive!
    >

    > I want to go back to 98SE only for a short time while i prep and
    > install linux on my system!!

    If you can't get XP to work on this hardware, good luck with Linux.
    Have you considered it may be bad hardware? Has any OS ever been installed
    successfully on this system? You say it is a brand new system, I can't
    imagine anyone purchasing an AMD 64 system and then installing Win 98 on it.
    What were you thinking?
    Remove everything but the keyboard, mouse and monitor and do a clean
    install.
    You boot from the CD and do a clean install.
    Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address bar.
    How to clean install XP.
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://michaelstevenstech.com

    Hello;
    I would suggest you replace your keyboard. The shift key is buggered. It
    keeps printing an "i" instead of an "I".

    p_davis@usa.com wrote:
    > I am going to have to check, because the XP upgrade was so difficult I
    > don't recall what the idiots at MS told me to do!

    If you wish a definition of 'idiot', may I suggest you avail yourself of the
    nearest mirror?

    1) Did you run the upgrade advisor to see if your hardware and software
    was compatible before upgrading? No, you did not.
    2) Did you uninstall any AVP and firewall applications before upgrading?
    No, you did not.
    3) Did you check to see if your hardware met the minimum specifications?
    No, you did not.
    4) If you did run the Upgrade Advisor (which I very much doubt) did you
    make good the errors it found? No, you did not.

    Stop blaming MS for your own inadequacies and failiings. The fault is
    *YOURS*, not Microsoft's.

    on salads.

    So talk to us.. that is why we sit here (in our own time and without
    recompense)..

    > FYI I have 7 open cases with MS which are unresolved!! and when i Talk
    > to them its like talking to the wall, their best answer to
    > fix these problems is to do a parallel install.

    You really need to calm down, get an open mind, and start thinking through
    the problem logically. Going to W98 is not going to solve anything, going to
    Linux is DEFINITELY not going to solve anything, and calling Microsoft is
    almost never necessary. Start thinking. It will turn out to be solvable,
    especially if you provide this NG with some specifics instead of ranting.

    <p_davis@usa.com> wrote in message
    > FYI I have 7 open cases with MS which are unresolved!! and when i Talk
    > to them its like talking to the wall, their best answer to
    > fix these problems is to do a parallel install.

    fyi

    answers to your questions!

    1) yes

    2) n/a I was not running any avp or firewall at time of upgrade

    3) yes

    4) yes

    my experience with ms goes back to 3.0/3.1 this has been the most
    troublesome upgrade I have experienced in over 20 yrs!!!
    BTW I get better answers from my h/w vendors than I do from MS

    Papa

    ok, here are the specifics:

    I am running a amd 64 3000+, seagate sata 160's (2) as a raid 0, with
    512 mb,

    my ugrade took about 10 iterations to install, after installing sp2 i
    removed i after receiving DEP errors on window' explorer,

    the last set of critical updates resulted in leaving me with NO taskbar
    or startmenu!

    when i attempt to run installed programs error msg: "the current
    application configuration is not valid"

    this is why i am attempting to rid myself of xp since the only solution
    that MS says is to do a parallel install

    my programs are there, but it appears that my registry is afu
    good luck

    i was running 98 on the system prior to upgrading to xp, because at the
    time it was my current o/s. BTW right now i can't connect to my isp
    since xp does not recognize my usb modem - even though the driver has
    been successfully installed, the same goes for my dvd dd rw

    yes i built the system myself and the majority of the xp problems
    occurred when i installed sp2. after i uninstalled sp2 the system was
    running, however after the install of the 22 critical updates xp became
    totaly unstable.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "p_davis@usa.com" <p_davis@usa.com> wrote in

    > Papa
    >
    > ok, here are the specifics:
    >
    > I am running a amd 64 3000+, seagate sata 160's (2) as a raid 0, with
    > 512 mb,
    >
    > my ugrade took about 10 iterations to install, after installing sp2 i
    > removed i after receiving DEP errors on window' explorer,
    >
    > the last set of critical updates resulted in leaving me with NO taskbar
    > or startmenu!
    >
    > when i attempt to run installed programs error msg: "the current
    > application configuration is not valid"
    >
    > this is why i am attempting to rid myself of xp since the only solution
    > that MS says is to do a parallel install
    >
    > my programs are there, but it appears that my registry is afu
    > good luck

    so what about if you install an application. does it then work properly ?
    uh....which leads me to ask a question. You say you upgraded Windows 98,
    so I'm just verifying that that is indeed what you did. the installation
    program finds Win98 than asks if you want to upgrade the current
    installation or install to a new directory. You are saying you absolutely
    chose 'upgrade this installation', versus 'new location' ?

    but digging deeper into the whole situation, why don't you just blow away
    the entire hard drive and do a fresh, clean install. from what you've
    said in the previous posts, this seems to be the best option. or you can
    just re-install the application's that don't work, to restore their
    registry settings, if indeed that is the problem.

    the question that REALLY needs to be answered, why would you go thru the
    trouble of this excercise when you're just going to be installing Linux
    on this PC anyway ? you can't complain about a 'fresh' install of XP or
    having to re-install all of you're apps, since you will blow them away
    for Linux anyway.

    regards,

    DanS
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    What exactly was the wording of any error messages. Did you build the system
    yourself? If not, did your new system come with Windows XP pre-installed? If
    so, was your computer running normally when you first turned it on. If not,
    why didn't you just take it back to where you purchased it for a refund?

    Anyway, it sounds like your system is really messed up at this point. You
    can take it back to the place where you purchased it and ask them to fix it,
    or give you a refund. Otherwise I suggest that you do a clean install of the
    OS (remove all partitions, create a new partition, format your hard drive as
    NTFS, and then install XP). After that, get a copy of Service Pack 2
    (download it or have Microsoft mail it to you - it is free) and install it.
    Forget Service Pack 1 because SP2 includes it.

    Then, if you are still having problems you might consider doing a "bare
    bones" test to try and isolate any device failures. A bare bones test begins
    by disconnecting everything from the motherboard except the video card,
    power supply, and one memory chip. Even better, also remove the motherboard
    from the case to eliminate the possibility of a short to the case. Then
    momentarily short across the motherboard power switch pins to start up the
    system and see if it will boot up. If it does, keep adding devices until a
    problem occurs.

    Good luck.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Mike Hall wrote:
    > <p_davis@usa.com> wrote in message
    >> this is a brand new system using an amd 64 3000+ processor, 512ddr,
    >> ASUS motherboard, SATA RAID 0.
    >>
    >> The last set of 22 critical updates left me with no taskbar or start
    >> menu, MS told me to do a repair install, on XP, when this finished it
    >> left me unable to run 80% of my programs.
    >>
    >> When I try to run a program msg "application configuration is not
    >> valid, PLS reinstall application" Even when i reinstall programs
    >> they DO NOT work.
    >>
    >> I can't even reinstall Outlook 2000!
    >>
    >> by the way xp doesn't even recognize my dvd drive!
    >>

    >> I want to go back to 98SE only for a short time while i prep and
    >> install linux on my system!!
    >>

    > You are unable to fix problems in XP, so rather than come into here
    > asking how to fix it, you postulate about reverting to W98.. wise
    > move.. backwards, but for you a good one.. pardon me while I
    > chuckle.. then you threaten, nay promise to move to Linux?.. having
    > shot yourself in one foot, you now take careful aim at the other..
    > way to go.. did somebody tell you there are less problems with
    > Linux?.. you'll have me laughing soon.. have you ever been to a Linux
    > newsgroup?.. you should before acting like a regular buffoon in here..

    Sorry, Mike, but this is one of my all-time greatest pet grammar peeves

    "did someone tell you there were less problems with Linux" should read "did
    someone tell you there were *fewer* problems with Linux".

    Why?

    Because problems is plural - fewer should always be used with plural nouns -
    example "in summer we wear fewer clothes" or "less clothing" (clothing is a
    verbal noun and, therefore, singular).

    Supermarkets are the worst offenders (the Queen's English Society once wrote
    to all the major UK supermarkets demanding - politely of course! - that they
    change their checkout signs you know the ones 'eight items or less' - to,
    correctly, read 'eight items or /fewer/')

    See http://open-dictionary.com/Fewer.

    Sorry, but I'm a pedant and damned proud of it!

    on salads.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    > Mike Hall wrote:
    >> <p_davis@usa.com> wrote in message
    >>> this is a brand new system using an amd 64 3000+ processor, 512ddr,
    >>> ASUS motherboard, SATA RAID 0.
    >>>
    >>> The last set of 22 critical updates left me with no taskbar or start
    >>> menu, MS told me to do a repair install, on XP, when this finished it
    >>> left me unable to run 80% of my programs.
    >>>
    >>> When I try to run a program msg "application configuration is not
    >>> valid, PLS reinstall application" Even when i reinstall programs
    >>> they DO NOT work.
    >>>
    >>> I can't even reinstall Outlook 2000!
    >>>
    >>> by the way xp doesn't even recognize my dvd drive!
    >>>

    >>> I want to go back to 98SE only for a short time while i prep and
    >>> install linux on my system!!
    >>>

    >> You are unable to fix problems in XP, so rather than come into here
    >> asking how to fix it, you postulate about reverting to W98.. wise
    >> move.. backwards, but for you a good one.. pardon me while I
    >> chuckle.. then you threaten, nay promise to move to Linux?.. having
    >> shot yourself in one foot, you now take careful aim at the other..
    >> way to go.. did somebody tell you there are less problems with
    >> Linux?.. you'll have me laughing soon.. have you ever been to a Linux
    >> newsgroup?.. you should before acting like a regular buffoon in here..
    >

    > Sorry, Mike, but this is one of my all-time greatest pet grammar peeves
    >
    > "did someone tell you there were less problems with Linux" should read
    > "did someone tell you there were *fewer* problems with Linux".
    >
    > Why?
    >
    > Because problems is plural - fewer should always be used with plural
    > nouns - example "in summer we wear fewer clothes" or "less clothing"
    > (clothing is a verbal noun and, therefore, singular).
    >
    > Supermarkets are the worst offenders (the Queen's English Society once
    > wrote to all the major UK supermarkets demanding - politely of course! -
    > that they change their checkout signs you know the ones 'eight items or
    > less' - to, correctly, read 'eight items or /fewer/')
    >
    > See http://open-dictionary.com/Fewer.
    >
    > Sorry, but I'm a pedant and damned proud of it!
    >

    > --
    > Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
    > on salads.

    This is what comes of being away too long.. I have picked up a few bad
    habits since being in Canada.. :).. eh..

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I am very surprised to hear that you ran Windows 98 on a 64 bit processor.
    How did it work? (-;

    --

    >i was running 98 on the system prior to upgrading to xp, because at the
    > time it was my current o/s. BTW right now i can't connect to my isp
    > since xp does not recognize my usb modem - even though the driver has
    > been successfully installed, the same goes for my dvd dd rw

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    it ran great better than on xp
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    i am going to tro to load Suse 9.2 Pro, as soon as I get the distro's
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Good luck.

    >i am going to tro to load Suse 9.2 Pro, as soon as I get the distro's

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    What makes u thin that I don't have the experience and/or background to
    run linux! I have been using Windows for over 20 yrs with no problem
    up until NOW!. Right now it has become self evident that you don't
    need "fingers to run, install, screw-up, rebuild or tear-down Windows"
    ALL you need is a Computer configuration which XP doesn't like and it
    will DO IT for you ALL by itself!!!!

    The reason for 98 SE would be so that i would be able to backup my
    programs and file since me dvd r/w and tape drive aree inop thanks to
    xp!!
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Comp Tech wrote:
    > Just out of curiousity, Why do you want to use Win98 to prepare for
    > Linux?? You don't need any Windows products installed at all for
    > Linux to install and run. You will definitely need a college
    > education (or higher) to run your "Linux" properly. With Windows,
    > anyone with fingers can run, install, screw-up, rebuild, tear-down,
    > (etc.) Windows anytime they want.
    > By the way......... http://www.linux.org
    > There you go. Have at it
    >

    > <p_davis@usa.com> wrote in message
    >> it ran great better than on xp

    Please lose the HTML. It only serves to bloat your messages.

    on salads.
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    If you can't fix a few problems in XP, you don't have a hope in hell of
    running Linux successfully.. I am also interested to know what version of
    Windows you used over 20 years ago, bearing in mind that Windows 1 didn't
    reach the stores before November 1985.. prior to that, one had the choice of
    the Xerox Star ($32000) or Apple Lisa ($10000)..

    > What makes u thin that I don't have the experience and/or background to
    > run linux! I have been using Windows for over 20 yrs with no problem
    > up until NOW!. Right now it has become self evident that you don't
    > need "fingers to run, install, screw-up, rebuild or tear-down Windows"
    > ALL you need is a Computer configuration which XP doesn't like and it
    > will DO IT for you ALL by itself!!!!
    >
    > The reason for 98 SE would be so that i would be able to backup my
    > programs and file since me dvd r/w and tape drive aree inop thanks to
    > xp!!

  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "Mike Hall" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
    > If you can't fix a few problems in XP, you don't have a hope in hell of
    > running Linux successfully.. I am also interested to know what version of
    > Windows you used over 20 years ago, bearing in mind that Windows 1 didn't
    > reach the stores before November 1985.. prior to that, one had the choice
    > of the Xerox Star ($32000) or Apple Lisa ($10000)..

    Agreed, Mike. Her reaction is typical. People get into trouble in Windows,
    can't fix the problem, perhaps have inappropriate hardware installed, then
    decide to switch to Linux or some other non-microsoft operating system. The
    thing they probably have not given much thought to is that ANY OS can be
    problematic unless the hardware and software is a good fit, and unless the
    user takes correct, informed steps in setting it up.

    By the way, the exact date for the release of Windows 1 was November 20th
    1985. Maybe she was using a Commodore Pet or a Radio Shack "Trash" 80. ;>)
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I too would like to uninstall XP.

    My son is taking a correspondance progam which requires him to use ME. We
    have had SE upgraded to ME and then to XP...however I need to uninstall XP
    and go back to ME.

    What can we do?

    sp
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    your son should look for another course.
    ME is five years old.

    "Northguy" <Northguy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > I too would like to uninstall XP.
    >
    > My son is taking a correspondance progam which requires him to use ME. We
    > have had SE upgraded to ME and then to XP...however I need to uninstall XP
    > and go back to ME.
    >
    > What can we do?
    >
    > sp
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "p_davis@usa.com" wrote:

    > How do I uninstall xp pro sp1 and revert back to 98se and retain my
    > registry??
    >
    > I have had it with microsoft!!! their support and software is
    > horrendous!!!

    try linux : www.mandrake.com, www.debain.org, www.redhat.com
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Northguy wrote:
    > I too would like to uninstall XP.
    >
    > My son is taking a correspondance progam which requires him to use ME. We
    > have had SE upgraded to ME and then to XP...however I need to uninstall XP
    > and go back to ME.
    >
    > What can we do?
    >
    > sp

    The normal way to "uninstall" any operating system is to format
    the hard drive and install a new OS of your choice.

    Only if you performed an upgrade from Win98/Me, elected to backup
    the old system files, and didn't convert the partition to NTFS, can
    you then boot into Safe Mode and click Start > Control Panel
    > Add/Remove Programs. All of these conditions must be met for the
    uninstall option to be available.

    Otherwise:

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    can you not run XP in compatability mode for Win ME ?
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    "carl" <carlgurgan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > can you not run XP in compatability mode for Win ME ?

    Or have enough room on your HD for creating a separate partition for
    installing ME and thereby leave your XP intact?

    Regards
    Joe Steele
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Northguy wrote:
    > I too would like to uninstall XP.
    >
    > My son is taking a correspondance progam which requires him to use
    > ME. We have had SE upgraded to ME and then to XP...however I need to
    > uninstall XP and go back to ME.
    >
    > What can we do?
    >
    > sp

    As someone else suggested, your son needs to find another course. Unless the
    course is exclusive to supporting Me, it is woefully behind.
    Look at #4 in the link below.
    Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser address box.
    Remove XP and install 98/Me
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#04
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    http://michaelstevenstech.com
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Michael Stevens wrote:
    > Northguy wrote:
    >> I too would like to uninstall XP.
    >>
    >> My son is taking a correspondance progam which requires him to use
    >> ME. We have had SE upgraded to ME and then to XP...however I need to
    >> uninstall XP and go back to ME.
    >>
    >> What can we do?
    >>
    >> sp
    >
    > As someone else suggested, your son needs to find another course.
    > Unless the course is exclusive to supporting Me, it is woefully
    > behind. Look at #4 in the link below.
    > Click on or copy and paste the link below into your web browser
    > address box. Remove XP and install 98/Me
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#04

    Sorry, That would be. Just restructered my FAQ web page.
    http://michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html#03
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com