card reader causing lock ups - any thoughts?

RTK07

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
To make a long story short, why is it that when I plug the KYE 6 in 1 card reader into the mobo- turn it on - that it locks up at the Asus start up screen? It locks up and won't go anywhere. I shut it down, pull the reader off the mobo and it starts up fine?!

I am new to the forums. I am impressed with the knowledge found here. Perhaps someone can tell me what I am dealing with. My pc is a rebuilt Compaq GX 5000Z Cooler Master Wave Master with an Asus 8n vm board, x2 4800 cpu, 2 g memory, 7900 gt card, coolmax 700 watt green power.... and I have a feeling that I am going to have to get a new card reader. Thanks for your time with my post.

Rich

muffin

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
It is probably just a matter of disabling the "boot from other devices" option in the BIOS - probably in the Boot page. I had this problem with a USB HDD enclosure - the mobo sees it as another drive is all. Hope this helps.

RTK07

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
I've read through the manual about the USB settings on the mobo. Unless I am reading it wrong, it appears that with the USB devices is "auto detect" with the bios settings. I'm not an expert here, I might just contact ASUS to see what they have to say.