Some what Budgety Core 2 Duo Revisited

Etherian

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
After your very helpful suggestions think this is what I'm going to try to aim for:

PSU
ePOWER ZU-550W ATX12V Version 2.0
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101021

Mobo
ECS NFORCE 570 SLIT-A
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135026

RAM
2X1 GB Centon DDR2 533 (1.8V)

Video(1 card only)
evga 7900GS KO 256MB
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130056

Proc
C2d 6300

HDs (reused IDE drives from old system 7200 RPM ATA133)

Sound
Onboard(if its decent, or SBLIVE! 5.1(out of old system)

Not planning to overclock and the Nvidia chipset with its 4 ATA devices will allow me to possibly throw the 50 bucks I would be spending on a SATA HD in on a stronger vid card (7900GS KO over 7600GTOCE), or simply pocket the money and stick with the 7600GT. Bad thing about this mobo is even when running just one card(which I may be doing for some time) the PCIE speed is locked at 8x. Think the slower PCIE speed will prove to be much of a porblem?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

So final questions
1) See any real problems with this setup?
2) Ways to improve it without shooting up the costs?
3) Do you think it'd be better to go with 7600GT instead because of DX10s imminent arrival. (would be probably at least 2 years before I went to DX10 monitor can't support about 1280 so don't care about gaming higher than that, even usually happy with 1024 though like high/near high settings if possible)

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
If u dont want to overclock ur going to have to spend AT LEAST double what u wanted to in the first place. No such thing as a gaming PC that isnt overclocked, unless ur 10 and rich.

Core 2 Duo E6300 - very good choice.
550w PSU - Nothing below 600, 650w preferable, and a name brand.
2GB 533Mhz - Better to get Kingston. Core 2 Duo needs 800Mhz.

7900 GS - The graphics card is the MOST important part of a gaming PC by far! If u have to, skimp on the other parts and buy a better graphics card. Best cards on earth - 7900 GTO or X1900XT for 250$. The 7900 GTO has 512MB but i prefer the X1900XT for it's use of HDR+AA and ability to run Crysis.
Wait for DX10 wich is released tommoro and buy it.
Seriously, at least 400$ on the graphics card. If u have to, wait until its cheaper.

The motherboard is pending on what graphics card u want - G80 or RD600.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
If u dont want to overclock ur going to have to spend AT LEAST double what u wanted to in the first place. No such thing as a gaming PC that isnt overclocked, unless ur 10 and rich.

That's a total load of crap.

Seriously, at least 400$ on the graphics card. If u have to, wait until its cheaper.

Again, that's a total load of crap.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Again, that's a total load of crap.So are

this:
Nothing below 600, 650w preferable

and this:
2GB 533Mhz - Better to get Kingston. Core 2 Duo needs 800Mhz.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

Some ppl choose to buy the X6800 in order to get the performance of a 3.0Ghz CPU. If u were smart, ud get the E6600 and overclock it, and u would have the same performance for 1/3 of the cost. That is what i meant.

Again, that's a total load of crap.

I'm just stressing how important the graphics card is. He should not buy a cheaper graphics card and a more expensive CPU. Since i want him to have the best - DX10 and the cheapest one is 500$, he should wait until it comes down to 400$

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
So are this:Nothing below 600, 650w preferable

For a high-end machine that has a Core 2 Duo @ 3.0Ghz, an X1900 card, and 2GB of RAM @ 533Mhz i would reccomand nothing less than a 500w PSU. The X1900 takes at least 150w at load.
Logically, next gen cards, wich will take at least 50w more than current cards, would require a better PSU - 550w
Thinking ahead, 50-100w more is best for future upgrades.

and this: 2GB 533Mhz - Better to get Kingston. Core 2 Duo needs 800Mhz.

Core 2 Duos have an FSB of 1066Mhz. If u have RAM wich is only 533Mhz then it will be harder for the CPU to work and the performance of the PC would go down. Obviously 1066Mhz RAM is too expensive in DDR2 format, but 800Mhz isnt. Most C2D motherboards have RAM @ 667Mhz and above, wich would indicate the need for RAM.
There is a way that u can make up the speed by overclocking the RAM, but its not as easy as overclocking the CPU or the graphics card, and for a person who dosent even want to overclock those, getting faster RAM seems to be the best idea.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
So are this:Nothing below 600, 650w preferable

For a high-end machine that has a Core 2 Duo @ 3.0Ghz, an X1900 card, and 2GB of RAM @ 533Mhz i would reccomand nothing less than a 500w PSU. The X1900 takes at least 150w at load.
Logically, next gen cards, wich will take at least 50w more than current cards, would require a better PSU - 550w
Thinking ahead, 50-100w more is best for future upgrades.

and this: 2GB 533Mhz - Better to get Kingston. Core 2 Duo needs 800Mhz.

Core 2 Duos have an FSB of 1066Mhz. If u have RAM wich is only 533Mhz then it will be harder for the CPU to work and the performance of the PC would go down. Obviously 1066Mhz RAM is too expensive in DDR2 format, but 800Mhz isnt. Most C2D motherboards have RAM @ 667Mhz and above, wich would indicate the need for RAM.
There is a way that u can make up the speed by overclocking the RAM, but its not as easy as overclocking the CPU or the graphics card, and for a person who dosent even want to overclock those, getting faster RAM seems to be the best idea.First of all, pay attention to the posters questions.

1.He doesn't want to overclock.

2.He's looking at a 7900GS or maybe a 7600GT.... not an X1900.

3.He asked about ways to improve, without shooting up the cost.

about 1280 so don't care about gaming higher than that, even usually happy with 1024 though like high/near high settings if possible
....Why the need for a $400 GPU?

5.Core2Duo has an FSB of 266MHz, so DDR2-533 will run at a 1:1(synchronous) ratio between FSB/RAM. That will not put undue load on the CPU. They happen to run very efficiently when running synchronously, and running at DDR2-800 or DDR2-1066 will improve performance, but not by huge amounts.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
"You know, you can get a better PC if you spend more money" is not particularly useful advice.

"You know, you should overclock your CPU instead of buying a better one" is not useful advice for anyone who has no interest in overclocking.

"You know, if you spend more money on a graphics card then you'll have better graphics" is no....well, you get the idea.

Any real advice in that noggin o' your's?

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
"You know, you can get a better PC if you spend more money" is not particularly useful advice.

"You know, you should overclock your CPU instead of buying a better one" is not useful advice for anyone who has no interest in overclocking.

"You know, if you spend more money on a graphics card then you'll have better graphics" is no....well, you get the idea.

well maybe he should pick up the interest before he listens to u telling him to get a new cpu instead of making what he already has better.

if u have nothing to say, DONT SAY ANYTHING.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
You ppl obviously have nothing to say but "youre wrong".
The point of this thread is he dosent know what is best for him.

if u think im wrong, message me on MSN and prove wrong.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
well maybe he should pick up the interest before he listens to u telling him to get a new cpu instead of making what he already has better.

That sentence makes very little/any sense. Please, be my guest and quote me telling him to get any hardware so far in this thread.

@ OP - Me and everyone else in this thread are just trying to make sure you know not to listen to 'track'. Of course hopefully you'll be able to work that one out for yourself, what with the nonsensical sentences and assorted lovelies.

For what it's worth, you're system looks pretty good. I don't think I've ever heard anyone who actually likes ECS motherboards, though. I'm not familiar with that brand of memory either, perhaps there is some better branded memory you could stretch to?

The PCIe 8x lock shouldn't make any difference.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

i didnt say that. thats not my quote. i say he should overclock and thus save money.
he can also save money on 1 thing and buy a better something else, like
a graphics card.

thats the same retarded post that the other guy made.
if he overclocks he can get the same performance he would have gotten with a far more expensive system. u talk abt saving money but ur just full of shit.

getting tired of being wrong there?

yes. stop posting useless posts and get a life, u lonely insecure retard.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

That sentence makes very little/any sense. Please, be my guest and quote me telling him to get any hardware so far in this thread.

I cant because you have made no usefull post, so far.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
You ppl obviously have nothing to say but "youre wrong".

That's because you are wrong.

great reply!

The point of this thread is he dosent know what is best for him.

And nor do you..

again.. wow!

if u think im wrong, message me on MSN and prove wrong.

I can think of nothing more painful than real time communication with yourself.

ha ha, thats the stupidest reply to "face me like a man". u dont want to try and prove me wrong because its too painfull, but ud rather stay on this thread for hours waiting to cuss me. i dont have to fight u, ive already won.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

@ OP - Me and everyone else in this thread are just trying to make sure you know not to listen to 'track'. Of course hopefully you'll be able to work that one out for yourself, what with the nonsensical sentences and assorted lovelies.

u come here, attack me, give no reason and no actuall comment and ur calling me dumb. ur one evil twisted monster.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I cant because you have made no usefull post, so far.
OMFG, I almost pissed my self from laughing so hard at your posts. Please, get a good knowledge of helping people instead of telling them to go get X6800s and X1900s. He has a budget, and has to work within it, and he specified his needs, why the hell are you throwing crap at him? :roll:

Im telling him to get an e6300 and overclock.
the others are telling him to get the x6800, because he says that he dosent want to overclock.

Jesus, why am i attracting so many idiots today??

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
ha ha, thats the stupidest reply to "face me like a man". u dont want to try and prove me wrong because its too painfull, but ud rather stay on this thread for hours waiting to cuss me. i dont have to fight u, ive already won.

You heard it here first, folks.

Face me like a man...ON MSN MESSENGER!!!

You know I think I heard Prez Bush and Tony saying something about all future wars happening on MSN...and if it's really serious they might even bust out WoW.