Help me find the correct wires for new sound system

thanksinadvance

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
I've always gone with logitech speakers but lately i've wanted something more and since my subwoofer went out on my z5500 i decided to spend some $$$ on a nicer setup.

Heres what im working with well plan to order Monday

4 x-ls Bookshelf Loudspeaker
1 x-cs Center/Main/Surround Loudspeaker
PB12-NSD sub
TX-504S receiver

I've already ordered 100ft of 12 guage wire for speakers but that's the only thing I know that I need. I have x-fi extrememusic so what other connetion wires will I need to get this thing working?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... assuming youre going with analog, as its an x-fi, you just need the 6 rca audio cables from your sound card, to your receiver

if youre going with a digital output from the x-fi, depending on the output, youll need either an optical toslink cable, or a coaxial rca cable (though im not sure the x-fi has digital outputs on the card, could be wrong though... a drive bay might have the required connections on it though)... for coaxial connections, a standard rca cable will work just fine

as far as speaker connections, the only thing i can see you needing, maybe, is an rca cable from the sub, to the receivers .1 sub output... if it doesnt come with one

do you have links to those items?

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
nice :), if you do want digital output from your computer (if you wanted to watch a dvd for example), you could probably just use the digital output from your motherboards integrated sound

thanksinadvance

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
I found a forum topic on hooking up this stuff to a computer on another site. here I guess it's a pain if your card only has analog so i'm going to purchase a Auzentech HDa X Plosion card which has the digital connections I need. Would someone be so kind and link me to the right digital cables I need.

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
auzentech x-plosion is a good choice... as far as digital cabling... i believe the x-plosion includes an optical toslink cable... if it doesnt however, you can find one at radio shack for around $10-$15 (or cheaper elsewhere im sure)... or you can even just use a standard $0.99 rca cable for the coaxial connection

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
well... the x-plosion already includes a toslink cable in the packaging i found out... ...as far as the sub, you probably wont need an optical cable for the sub (unless the manufacturer specifically said that somewhere)... more than likely, an rca cable will work just fine for that

thanksinadvance

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2006
I ended up getting a X-Meridian it came in today but I can't get my Z-5500 speakers to work with it. I hooked everything up like it says in the book but still not working. Not to worried about these my new speakers should be here by Friday so as long as those work.