New Build Not Familiar with New Terms

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I Decided on the ASUS A8N 5X board. and the Athlon 64 3700+.

I'm reading through the AsuS mobo specs and notice all these features.

vDIMM
Take control of how much power is going into the memory modules. ASUS gives you 9-step voltage control to the DIMM

vCore

Find out "exactly" how much power your CPU needs. Fine-tune it with 0.0125 volts at a time!

PCI-Express Frequency
Explore the frequency options of your PCI-Express graphics card

SFS
SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection) allow FSB tuning from 200MHz up to 400MHz at 1MHz increments.

This is going to be my 2nd Build Since my 1st which was YEARS ago with a xp2800+ and a A7n8x asus.

I don't plan on Overclocking. So are these features autoset so it will run my 3700+ at the right speed? or is it Config'd to run for another CPU.

Am i going to have to make BIOS changes to run my 3700+ and my PCI-E graphics card properly?

also what settings should i set my Memory (PC3200 Corsair XMS) on this board.

Thanks,
Rob.

papi4baby

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2006
With DDR you should not have to set up anything it should work fine, is not like crap DDR2 which is stupid and it has to match the mobo and stuff. One recommendation i will make is go Dual core if you can. The days of single core are coming to and end. And since you are upgrading definetly go dual core. By the way good luck on your new setup.

P.S. Just make sure the mobo socket is the same as the CPU, and that the mobo memory slots are the same as the memory you are getting.

Newf

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I Decided on the ASUS A8N 5X board. and the Athlon 64 3700+...I don't plan on Overclocking. So are these features autoset so it will run my 3700+ at the right speed? or is it Config'd to run for another CPU.
Autoset, all will be fine.

Am i going to have to make BIOS changes to run my 3700+ and my PCI-E graphics card properly?
Nope. You will want to go into BIOS setup to configure boot drive sequence, as well as some other features. If you don't, the default settings will work ok though.

also what settings should i set my Memory (PC3200 Corsair XMS) on this board.
Auto. Leave them alone.

Also, I second the motion for getting an X2 if you can swing it.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
well you know what guys i finally made the order and i just didn't have the extra 100+ on the dual core.

but it's still for socket A..

so in a few years atleast i'll be able to pop in a new cpu and get some kind of a gain.

but if my xp2800+ was running everyting ..photoshop, games, dvdburning perfectly fine and speedy..

this 64 3700+ should be way better.

i think i'll be fine for awhile..

next xmas i might have to make the x2 upgrade. for the 939.

im only running 1GB.. if anything my next purchase is memory.. gonna get another 1GB 2x 512s.. so 4x512s by april.