Security Breach

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hello,

I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router and
the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked into my
computer or was stealing bandwidth.

Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
security breaches?

-AKA

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003
Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi

When using Entry Level Wireless hardware configured as a peer to peer
Network there is No simple software solution to control traffic since the
traffic flows through devices (Wireless Routers/Access Point) that where not
designed for live reports.

If you are using WPA the probability to be hacked is relatively low.

If some one "Leeches" to your Wireless he has to obtain an IP from your
Network. Occasional look at the Wireless Router/Access Point Wireless Client
list can show you whether there is a "Rouge" connection (look at your
Wireless Device manual to find the Clients list menu).

Otherwise use the best secure method that you can.

WEP, WPA, WPA2- http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

Wireless Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"AKA Spawn" <AKASpawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router
and
> the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked into
my
> computer or was stealing bandwidth.
>
> Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
> security breaches?
>
> -AKA

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Jack,

Thanks for the info. I do remember seeing something about Wireless Clients
in my router configuration. Also, thank you for providing other sources for
wireless security.

-AKA

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:38:00 -0400, Jack wrote:

> Occasional look at the Wireless Router/Access Point Wireless Client
> list can show you whether there is a "Rouge" connection...

Will it show a "Bleu" connection? {Sorry, I couldn't resist. But "rouge"
seems to be an extremely common typo for "rogue"!}

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

Fitz

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Try "Look@Lan". Freeware. Do a Google.

"AKA Spawn" <AKASpawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router
> and
> the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked into
> my
> computer or was stealing bandwidth.
>
> Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
> security breaches?
>
> -AKA

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Fitz,

Thanks a million for that link to Look@Lan. It's just what I was hoping to
find. Makes it easier to track multiple computers from one location. Many
props to you for this little freeware gem :)

-AKA

"Fitz" wrote:

> Try "Look@Lan". Freeware. Do a Google.
>

> "AKA Spawn" <AKASpawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router
> > and
> > the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked into
> > my
> > computer or was stealing bandwidth.
> >
> > Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
> > security breaches?
> >
> > -AKA

Fitz

Archived from groups: (More info?)

You're welcome. Glad it's what you were looking for.