Security Breach

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hello,

I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router and
the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked into my
computer or was stealing bandwidth.

Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
security breaches?

-AKA
6 answers Last reply
More about security breach
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Hi

    When using Entry Level Wireless hardware configured as a peer to peer
    Network there is No simple software solution to control traffic since the
    traffic flows through devices (Wireless Routers/Access Point) that where not
    designed for live reports.

    If you are using WPA the probability to be hacked is relatively low.

    If some one "Leeches" to your Wireless he has to obtain an IP from your
    Network. Occasional look at the Wireless Router/Access Point Wireless Client
    list can show you whether there is a "Rouge" connection (look at your
    Wireless Device manual to find the Clients list menu).

    Otherwise use the best secure method that you can.

    WEP, WPA, WPA2- http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Wireless Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "AKA Spawn" <AKASpawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router
    and
    > the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked into
    my
    > computer or was stealing bandwidth.
    >
    > Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
    > security breaches?
    >
    > -AKA
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Jack,

    Thanks for the info. I do remember seeing something about Wireless Clients
    in my router configuration. Also, thank you for providing other sources for
    wireless security.

    -AKA

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > When using Entry Level Wireless hardware configured as a peer to peer
    > Network there is No simple software solution to control traffic since the
    > traffic flows through devices (Wireless Routers/Access Point) that where not
    > designed for live reports.
    >
    > If you are using WPA the probability to be hacked is relatively low.
    >
    > If some one "Leeches" to your Wireless he has to obtain an IP from your
    > Network. Occasional look at the Wireless Router/Access Point Wireless Client
    > list can show you whether there is a "Rouge" connection (look at your
    > Wireless Device manual to find the Clients list menu).
    >
    > Otherwise use the best secure method that you can.

    > WEP, WPA, WPA2- http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    >
    > Wireless Segregation - http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "AKA Spawn" <AKASpawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router
    > and
    > > the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked into
    > my
    > > computer or was stealing bandwidth.
    > >
    > > Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
    > > security breaches?
    > >
    > > -AKA

  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 13:38:00 -0400, Jack wrote:

    > Occasional look at the Wireless Router/Access Point Wireless Client
    > list can show you whether there is a "Rouge" connection...

    Will it show a "Bleu" connection? {Sorry, I couldn't resist. But "rouge"
    seems to be an extremely common typo for "rogue"!}

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    Try "Look@Lan". Freeware. Do a Google.

    "AKA Spawn" <AKASpawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router
    > and
    > the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked into
    > my
    > computer or was stealing bandwidth.
    >
    > Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
    > security breaches?
    >
    > -AKA
  5. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Fitz,

    Thanks a million for that link to Look@Lan. It's just what I was hoping to
    find. Makes it easier to track multiple computers from one location. Many
    props to you for this little freeware gem :-)

    -AKA

    "Fitz" wrote:

    > Try "Look@Lan". Freeware. Do a Google.
    >

    > "AKA Spawn" <AKASpawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router
    > > and
    > > the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked into
    > > my
    > > computer or was stealing bandwidth.
    > >
    > > Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
    > > security breaches?
    > >
    > > -AKA

  6. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    You're welcome. Glad it's what you were looking for.

    > Fitz,
    >
    > Thanks a million for that link to Look@Lan. It's just what I was hoping to
    > find. Makes it easier to track multiple computers from one location. Many
    > props to you for this little freeware gem :-)
    >
    > -AKA
    >
    > "Fitz" wrote:
    >
    >> Try "Look@Lan". Freeware. Do a Google.
    >>

    >> "AKA Spawn" <AKASpawn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > I have a wireless network with WPA encryption active on both the router
    >> > and
    >> > the network. I wondering if there's anyway to know if someone hacked
    >> > into
    >> > my
    >> > computer or was stealing bandwidth.
    >> >
    >> > Is there some kind of software available that would notify me of any
    >> > security breaches?
    >> >
    >> > -AKA

Configuration Security Wireless Network Wireless Networking