Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mse windows 7 64 bit

Last response: in Windows 7
June 10, 2011 10:24:47 AM

Hello,
Im operating a Windows 7 64bit desktop, have used AVG Free anti-virus 2011 for a couple months ok but now have an issue with multiple crashes on a regular basis and as of today have a problem with the AVG itself directly in that it will not show me the virus vault.
When I go AVG HISTORY/VIRUS VAULT I get an AVG error message in a window stating "Enumerating Virus Vault objects failed" and a blank vault spreadsheet. Today I tried to repair, then removed and re- downloaded the latest AVG Free anti-virus 2011 which I was sure would fix the problem after a restart, however it remains the same. Have any other users experienced this particular problem?
I believe it still scans effectively etc but I cant view what has been quarantined and remove it. Also, it seems AVG is becoming a lot more intrusive into my daily use on the internet and blocks me from going to sites where I want to go, rather than blocking the malware or virus that is the problem. Oh, and did I mention the constant crashes?
I have been reading a lot of posts online by people who have abandoned AVG and gone to MSE. Is that what I should do?

More about : mse windows bit

Best solution

a b 8 Security
a c 418 $ Windows 7
a b è Antivirus
June 10, 2011 11:16:12 AM

Go with MSE...avg has had a few issues latlely with their antivirus!

http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx

June 17, 2011 3:24:42 AM

Thankyou. I have done so, and all operations have been smooth eversince, no crashes. AVG however used to alert me about numerous daily cookies and threats on pages I visited and so on, After every scan there would be numerous cookies listed. After an MSE scan however there is nothing, it has consistently said after scanning "no problems found"... but no problems have arisen either. I wonder if AVG was alarmist or inventing problems or if MSE is just much better?
Score
Related resources
June 17, 2011 3:25:15 AM

Best answer selected by Hell_Bent.
Score
June 21, 2011 12:27:36 AM

Hell_Bent said:
Thankyou. I have done so, and all operations have been smooth eversince, no crashes. AVG however used to alert me about numerous daily cookies and threats on pages I visited and so on, After every scan there would be numerous cookies listed. After an MSE scan however there is nothing, it has consistently said after scanning "no problems found"... but no problems have arisen either. I wonder if AVG was alarmist or inventing problems or if MSE is just much better?

Hell_ Bent,
In my opinion, AVG is big on detecting tracking cookies. But MSE seems to concentrate on the more serious threats. I just changed from AVG yesterday back to MSE.

AVG would not let me into the virus vault for over a month now and yesterday wouldn't show me the current "history". Very disappointed in AVG's lack of concern especially when I saw where AVG had similar problems with virus vault in previous years. One thing I did like about AVG was the Safe Site indicator, but I understand even though MSE doesn't have that feature, Internet Explorer 8 has a feature called SmartScreen that is helpful.
Misty Lee
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 418 $ Windows 7
a b è Antivirus
June 21, 2011 12:29:01 AM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!